Needles

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H fanatic

Reaction score
Is there a needle you can give heifers to make hem miss a heat or to delay it my son iss showing a heifer we have been watching for her cycle and have it figured out that she will come into heat on the day o the show if anyone knows of a needle that i can give herr please let me know

You can feed her MGA, that suspends heats. Could probably get it from your local feed mill

dun

4-H fanatic":2u3pdku4 said:
Is there a needle you can give heifers to make hem miss a heat or to delay it my son iss showing a heifer we have been watching for her cycle and have it figured out that she will come into heat on the day o the show if anyone knows of a needle that i can give herr please let me know

By "a needle" do you mean a drug, medication, or Rx injection? (I assume you do).

As Dun said, I would pick up a bag of MGA crumbles. They don't need very much, but I think I would start her on it about a week before the show.

MGA is a feed additive that makes them "hold" their egg/cycle until you pull them off of the product. You usually feed it for 30 days than breed them on their 2ND cycle.
A LUTALYSE shot can be given 6 to about 12 days AFTER she cycles and it will make her come into heat in 2-3 days. Using this will CHANGE her cycling days - if you have time. It won't work the last 6 days of her cycle. So if she is cycling every 18 days - the shot will get response from day 6 thru day 12.
You have to get Lutalyse from the Vet.