Need your opinions: Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Which, in your opinion, is the best pic?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I need your opinions on THE best picture of a tree/trees that I took. (Psst: The photo contest on ranchers calls for a pic of trees), and out of five or six (posted six just because) I can't choose which one's the best. So this is where you folks come in. ;-)

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0386.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Still got's me more time to decide, even though it's pretty obvious already which is the best. But I still woul like hear some more opinions from you folks. :)

With the exception of the sun blur in 5, I like it best. It makes me wonder what's across the fence. Kinda peeks my curiosity and pulls my imagination. 6 does the same but not as much. Both speak solitude and peace yet tickles your curiosity. Well done.

Whats the statement with no 1?? :D :D :D ... I like the bark too...something about liking green color.

I agree with horticattleman...no 2 if it didn't have the fence and other stuff...i like the path and live green trees.

I like 4 through 6, 6 being my favorite because to capture snow without massive reflection is good.. it is a clean peaceful feeling. For compatition what scores higher?

good luck let us know what you submit...donna

Okay, so everyone likes the winter pics. Particularly #5 with 66% of votes out of all six pictures.

Now, just out of curiousity, what're the criticisms about the pics that got NO votes, like colour, lighting, contrasts, etc. or just plain personal opinions. Like I said, I'm curious.

Thanks again everyone, as always. :D

I like 5 the best. It is a well done photo with a sky that is gorgeous. #4 is second but it almost needs a more interesting view in the background as the tree is not the main part of the photo. The tree is very interesting but since it plays a supportive role the main focus should have been more spectacular - a sunset or sunrise, lighting, hills, mountains - something. #6 I think I would have been tempted to zoom in on the middle trees and catch more of the glistening frost but again a nice photo.
Number one I don't like - it is too busy. Trees can look like a wall in a photo and these ones do. Number two would be perfect without the fence. The path opens possibilities to the mind and you want to walk down it the fence blocks it off though and stops the imagination before it can go on the journey. Number 3 - I like dead trees, I think they are interesting but they don't work in photographs very well. They depress if you stare at them in a two dimensional space. When you see them in the outdoors there is other living things, there is birds chirping etc and it keeps the mood up. On paper however a dead tree as a focal point reminds people (even if it is subconcious) of their own morality. Photos should uplift and stir the imagination. Most photos that are chosen as being the best are done so because of the mood that they invoke not because of the actual photo.
I hope that made sense, you said you were curious and I think you are a fantastic photographer. You have a good eye and obviously enjoy it. One of the hardest things about photographing something is that when we take a picture we see more than the picture and that mood stays with us when we see the picture. Always take a step back and remember that others see nothing but what you show them.

Great pics... #5 is my fav

1. no point of interest

2. better w/out the fence in forground (possibly having a bit more shadow at the end of the trail for more mystery)

3. too ordinary

4. to much 50/50 split between sky and grass...if you cropped most of the grass out of the pic, it would have a much better impact.

5. hard to find a fault, a lot of light and shadow shows immense depth

6. same as #4, less of the snow foreground to get more of a 75/25 or even a 65/35 split. no depth in the foreground as in #5, so I think it would benefit from a crop. very nice either way.

When taking your pics, try to get a more uneven split... same way as when you put flowers in a vase.

Keep up the good work, I like to see your posts of pics!

Michele

Jogeephus":30kkvlqw said:
With the exception of the sun blur in 5, I like it best. It makes me wonder what's across the fence. Kinda peeks my curiosity and pulls my imagination. 6 does the same but not as much. Both speak solitude and peace yet tickles your curiosity. Well done.

Untill you mentioned it I didn't even see it, but I agree it takes somewhat away from a otherwise great photo.

Karin, are you allowed to crop the photos a bit? If you could just leave that bit with the sunblur out.

KNERSIE":1uzvdzoz said:
Jogeephus":1uzvdzoz said:

Untill you mentioned it I didn't even see it, but I agree it takes somewhat away from a otherwise great photo.

Karin, are you allowed to crop the photos a bit? If you could just leave that bit with the sunblur out.

I could crop them, but I was on another forum, a photography forum, and someone on their said I could do a bit of goofing around and "eliminate" that pinkish flare without doing any cropping. So here it is without the sun-blur, as Jo calls it:

DSCF0328-1.jpg

Now how's that?

Alright folks, thanks for your input and votes, it's time that I submit #5 into the contest. Wish me luck! :)

Latest posts