need oats & corn gluten

Help Support CattleToday:

Good luck- seems like this year even long term customers can't get CGF in.

Last year I fed 700 tons CGF pellets and have for several years.
I can't get any so far.

Larry

Getting harder and harder to get anything in it seems. We must have feed 700 tons of wet distillers last year and about the same of 400 of Gluten the year before and can't get much of either anymore. They used to call looking to get rid of it and now they won't even return anyones calls looking to buy and when they do, holy smokes it costs a lot of money. Making me consider alternative plans for next year that are too late for now.

IL Rancher":1w0thjus said:
We must have feed 700 tons of wet distillers last year and about the same of 400 of Gluten the year before and can't get much of either anymore. They used to call looking to get rid of it and now they won't even return anyones calls looking to buy and when they do, holy smokes it costs a lot of money. Making me consider alternative plans for next year that are too late for now.

Is the distillers contracted out?
What alternatives are you considering?

So far I've been pretty lucky there is a mill in Eden NC where we get a 50/50 CGM and Soy hulls w/Bovitech. As long as I give them a week notice they will come through I get around 17 tons twice a month and except for around the holidays I have had no problems getting my feed.

Stocker Steve":2ipe4nnc said:
Is the distillers contracted out?
What alternatives are you considering?

I don't know what is going on with the distillers. We like wet and everyone is drying everything it seems. I have heard about 20 dozen rumors of what is going on from China, to India to Mexico to a lot being shipped south to the drought areas. Which one is it? I don't know. I suspect with hay production down, corn prices up it is simply a factor of demand going up as folks are searching for a corn substitute... We CAN get it if we really want to but the price is making it cost prohibative. Oh alternatives for me right now include things such as cutting the herd back so I can grow more of my own feed, expanding land base and growing more feed besides what we are doing and now and so on. Supplemental protein we are thinking about a liquid alternative that might work, at least supply would be less of a problem.

Just checked Aventine's web site and wet gluten is $80/t picked-up. Can feed $4.25 corn and supplement cheaper.

The wet stuff around here is getting dried for.....................
fertilizer.
Even thats going to fuel the ethanol boom.

Latest posts