Need help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jo

Reaction score
I just bought a new horse about 2 weeks ago from a sale. He still has his shoes on and I need to get them taken off. Problem is, I don't know how to pull off the shoes. Anybody tell me what to do. I would get a farrier but there is not anybody near here at all! No one shoes horses around here. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the boards! I'm not going to answer your question direct for two reasons. While I have taken shoes off before, Im sure one of the farriers on this site can tell you the correct way far better than I can.

Second is because I feel you have a bigger problem than getting the shoes off the horse if you truley can't find a farrier. The problem is not with the shoes but with the trimming. If you trim wrong you can really screw up the horse and may do permanent damage to the legs, therefore, making your horse worthless for anything other than eating grass. But if you have horses in your area you probably have some one who can trim and shoe. I would check with feed stores, some others in your area with horses, horse clubs such as 4-H or similar riding clubs, local fairs commetties or horse shows close by. You can also load your horse and haul to a farrier. Your horse well need trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks maybe 10 if your lucky. But the feet are one of the most important things on a horse and you have to take care of them to maintain a healthly horse.

Sorry I did not answer your question direct, I feel the problem is not with the shoes but getting the horse trimmed. Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Alan

g

Jo":8ga5dqzi said:
I just bought a new horse about 2 weeks ago from a sale. He still has his shoes on and I need to get them taken off. Problem is, I don't know how to pull off the shoes. Anybody tell me what to do. I would get a farrier but there is not anybody near here at all! No one shoes horses around here. Any help would be appreciated!

Just look :shock: Use your brain and figure it out. But be careful.......

Actually, Nevermind! Call a Farrier.

Pulling a shoe off is something you can't get half way through and decide you can't do it. You don't want a shoe half off or loose. If you do it make sure you have the right tools (pliers don't work) and file the ends of the nails off before you pull them through the hoof wall.

Strong opinion...find a farrier, I'm sure if there are horses in the area you can find one. Don't risk an injury to you or your horse. My farrier charges me $25 to pull shoes and trim.

JMO
Alan

The way i do it is pry the nail up where it clinched on the outside of the hoof then nip them flush with the hoof. then pick the foot up and take the nippers in between the shoe & hoof and start prying at the end of the bars back toward the toe. take your time though and be carefull. i would have someone hold him.

thanks guys for replying! Right now I am still "sitting on the fence" about what to do with the shoes. The closest farrier around here is 3 hours away. We actually have a guy that comes out once a year do to the odd cow or bull that needs a little trimming, he does our Belgian mares feet for us. I am sure he does horses too since he has about 50 at home. We usually do all the trimming of our horses ourselves. Just have never shoed any of them. My grandpa did back in the old days but thats about it.
Its kinda funny, but the guy that I bought the horse from said that taking the shoes off is really easy and that I could do it myself. Sure seems like a huge headache to even try and figure out how to go about doing it!

Alan, gave you great advise, you cant half shoe a horse, ask around a locate large animal vet can head you dont the right path I bet he/she will have a name for you to call. but dont play around with this. or talk with the 4 h club, ffa etc.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":29l5761c said:
ALACOWMAN":29l5761c said:
If you can trim you can remove shoes. quit dreading it and get er done :cboy:

Alabama Cow Man said it! GIT R DONE!

P.S.

Larry the Cable Guy is my hero!

hehe

:cboy:

COWBOY UP!

Going to have to disagree with you two, it's easy to say "git r done!" When you're 1000 miles away and you have probably done it yourselves a bunch of times. But to someone who has never pulled a shoe tells me they probably don't have the right tools and most certainly doesnt have the experience. I watched a young girl try to do it with a pair of pliers and a regular screwdriver, wouldn't have been so funny if I wasn't with my farrier at the time. We let her have a lesson for a while then he took of the shoes for free.

Jo, there must be someone in your area that can take the shoes off for you.

JMO,
Alan

what differance does it make how far i live? i would tell the same thing to my neighbor. did my reply offend you some how cause there post stated from what i seen NEED HELP so i obliged. hell if they can trim feet . pulling shoe should be a snap
sounds like you like to over complicate things.

ALACOWMAN":1p5efv1u said:
what differance does it make how far i live? i would tell the same thing to my neighbor. did my reply offend you some how cause there post stated from what i seen NEED HELP so i obliged. hell if they can trim feet . pulling shoe should be a snap
sounds like you like to over complicate things.

It's not your neighbor and it's someone that has never done it. No it didn't offend me, I just don't agree that you should tell someone with no experience and no idea where to get help to just "get r done". Yes I know the post was "I need help" and that's what I'm doing is giving another opinion. So, even through Grandpa use to trim feet, the post wouldn't be here if they knew how to pull shoes. I also have to disagree about "liking to complicate things". If she had someone to do it that knows what they are doing it won't be complicated at all, where as if she went out, as you guys have advised to get r done, things could get very complicated.

NO offense taken thats what make up these boards...opinions.

Alan

Not taking sides in this debate, but from personal experience, the "jump in there and git er done" attitude can cause a lot of complications in the long run. (I guess I am kinda taking sides.) :lol:

Anyway it seems to me like trying to pull a shoe without the proper tools and know-how could end up getting either the person attempting the feat or the horse seriously hurt.

wasnt telling them to do any thing. its just seems to me if a person has the ability & the tools to trim they should be able to remove shoe if yall will also notice in a yearler reply i said be careful sorry JO it wasnt you i was saying overcomplicates things. damn funny how things can go to hell just offering advice

ALACOWMAN":3abwlh62 said:
wasnt telling them to do any thing. its just seems to me if a person has the ability & the tools to trim they should be able to remove shoe if yall will also notice in a yearler reply i said be careful sorry JO it wasnt you i was saying overcomplicates things. damn funny how things can go to hell just offering advice

REMEMBER ALACOWMAN

Its against this boards bylaws to agree with anyone or give advice! We have been over this a thousand times! I am gunna have to whap u on the back of tha gul durn haid' boy! :cboy: :mrgreen:

from a horseshoers perspective, me :lol: , anyone who can trim a horse will have no preblems pulling a set of shoes off. Clip the clinched ends of the nail off and pull off using your cutoffs, which in your case will probably be your nippers. No big deal.

Come on guys you're making my "flip flops" hurt my feet. If she thought she could do it would she be asking how to do it? There's a time to cowboy up and a time to use your head. Do you think she knows what bars are or nippers let alone having them? Not saying you don't Jo but I think the get r done thing is pretty dumb and reckless.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts