Need Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
I am doing some inventory control on our storage tanks and have found one unit for Bon View New Design, with a cane code of 349-any ideas which bull this is???? I also found a couple of units of Connealy Thunder-should I keep this, list it for sale, or dump it on the ground.???? TIA

What are the entire codes including the stud that collected it? Need that to really find out what you may have, and even than if the stud sold out long enough ago you may not be able to find out. I've found information on some strange stuff by tracing back to the origianl collector and through various companys that had bought them through the years.
I'll say that trying to find anything on the Ankina is almost impossible even if you contact the chiangus association

They should have registration numbers printed on the straws. Very few straws don't and those are usually not collected by a reputable source. For some reason I remember a Sitz new design 349 that was a son of bon view new design 1407... I don't know why I know that but I do. That would be what I would start looking for at the angus association. If it's not him I bet your bull is in the pedigree.

I will check the actual straw tomorrow....I was just looking at inventory, and deciding which to keep and sell when I found the entry. I know it was purchased through Genex in the last 10 years, but I can't think of which bull it is to save my life!

Any thoughts on the Thunder bull? Is it worth keeping to potentially use on Limi and Lim-Flex females?

Thanks!

Goal depends on which herd....
Registered Limi herd is used to produce Limi and Lim-flex seedstock, registered, show quality, with performance, small herd with big time quality.
Registered Lim-Flex herd is used to produce Lim-Flex females to sell.
Commercial Limi, Lim-Flex and Angus herd is used to produce feeders.

What do you like about Thunder? Weaknesses?

I really his daughters, good udders. Feet are good and disposition is good. I like that he makes moderate cattle.

Weakness would be that his ww and yw are little lower than other sires.

wildcat2154":2j6c8qyl said:
Your welcome. Hope they work for you. Are you still considering selling any?

Maybe, I have to do some more investigating first. If we do decide to liquidate it, we only have 6 units, so I will look for a local buyer most likely, since the shipping cost wouldn't make sense....unless its worth way more than I'm thinking???

From what I can find, he seems to make very moderate/frail females. Not a trait I am looking for. Anyone have any idea his mature frame score, and if he makes them moderate framed????

It was Sitz New Design 349M I believe was what his name was.
I've seen good and bad in thunder personally but would be worth more than dumping on the ground for sure.

Connealy Thunder was just discussed in the "Out of Comrade" discussion also on this "AI for Cattle" forum.

Thunder has a reputation for siring some top end females. If you look through the pedigrees at Connealys, TC Ranch, and several other Angus breeders, you will often find Thunder as the sire of the dam or granddam. The Thunder cattle are relatively moderate in frame (but not small), have good calving ease, good dispositions, nice teats and udders, good fertility in the daughters, and excellent feet (a trait that is hard to find in much of the Angus breed). The cattle are breed average for growth and marbling based on his EPDs, which likely hindered some producers from using the bull. However, there seems to be a bit of a resurgence in the demand for Thunder cattle; unfortunately at a point when the bull himself is old and not producing much semen. Some of the Thunder progeny are not overly powerful, so it is best to use him on animals with some thickness and rib.

Thunder works especially well on Simmental and Gelbvieh cattle, and I would think he would do an excellent job on Limmy females that have some thickness.

Boot Jack Bulls":1cplo6kq said:
I am doing some inventory control on our storage tanks and have found one unit for Bon View New Design, with a cane code of 349-any ideas which bull this is???? I also found a couple of units of Connealy Thunder-should I keep this, list it for sale, or dump it on the ground.???? TIA
Keep it that Thunder is a good bull, great feet,Doc ect. I think He'd make some great Limflex cows, we're using a son of his Tc Thunder and his calves look great. Hows that BJ Titian doing? Can we have a pic of him in his working condition?
Thanks, Joe

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm thinking he will be useful on some of our cows, especially ones that bring plenty of performance to the table. I just have to be careful not to use something that will downsize frame too much.

Joe, I have to dig out some old pics of Titan, and maybe lead him out on the lawn for some new ones this weekend. Given the amount of pictures I have of him from 4 months old to 6 1/2 years old, it should make for an interesting progression thread. And he is retired, so "working condition" is all relative. I just try to keep him at a good maintenance weight- right around 2200-2250 at a frame score 5.5.

cow pollinater":1xwwyk34 said:
They should have registration numbers printed on the straws. Very few straws don't and those are usually not collected by a reputable source. For some reason I remember a Sitz new design 349 that was a son of bon view new design 1407... I don't know why I know that but I do. That would be what I would start looking for at the angus association. If it's not him I bet your bull is in the pedigree.

You were right CP! It is New Design 349. Anyone know anything about this bull? Numbers don't look impressive, so whats the story on him?
Side note, I found an embryo full sib to our Maxum bull in the bottom of one tank. Made my week!

Latest posts