Need help with identification

Help Support CattleToday:

msdelin

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the board, but have been reading for about two years.

In late March I decided to try bottle calves. On March 27 I got my first one at a small animal livestock auction. I know nothing about him. The other one I received from a private individual on April 2. He is supposedly 3/4 beef and 3 weeks old on that date.

I am curious about any comment you would have regarding them regarding overall appearance, health and breed mix if it can be determine. I know both have dairy in them. The photos were taken 6/11/15

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Look pretty much like most bottle calves and may part angus. Looks like they're gonna be polled. If you haven't already done it I'd worm them and maybe give them a shot of Vitamin AD. If you can let them have access to more green grass. Good luck with them.

TexasBred":xtmyfgov said:
Look pretty much like most bottle calves and may part angus. Looks like they're gonna be polled. If you haven't already done it I'd worm them and maybe give them a shot of Vitamin AD. If you can let them have access to more green grass. Good luck with them.
X 2. I think they look pretty good for bottle calves.

branguscowgirl":88clme9r said:
X 2. I think they look pretty good for bottle calves.

:nod: :nod: :nod: X3

They look okay for bottle babies.

If they have dairy in them, I'd say it might be Jersey.

I agree, let them get as much grass as they can.

Good job, especially if they never got sick. Just don't dump them on grass only after been on grain.

thank you for your comments.

I dewormed them last week with an additive to their grain. I will get them thee vitamin shot.

They do have access to grass - it is on the sides of the pen. I just put feed and water in the narrow area for easy access. And they always have hay available. The pen is approx. 30X300. (15 feet wide where they are fed the grain)

Looking at their bellies, would you say they are too fat I should cut back on grain? I am feeding the two about 14 lbs a day.

I have not had to deal with any illness.

msdelin":168i53g4 said:

I dewormed them last week with an additive to their grain. I will get them thee vitamin shot.

They do have access to grass - it is on the sides of the pen. I just put feed and water in the narrow area for easy access. And they always have hay available. The pen is approx. 30X300. (15 feet wide where they are fed the grain)

Looking at their bellies, would you say they are too fat I should cut back on grain? I am feeding the two about 14 lbs a day.

I have not had to deal with any illness.

They aren't too fat, just pot-bellied. That's typical for bottle-raised calves and they will eventually smooth out.

Chances are they are Angus x Jersey crosses. In the first photo, the calf looking at you has a Jersey shaped head.
We have bred our Jersey cows to Angus and the calves looked like yours.

If they are still intact (bull calves), now would be a good time to band or cut them.

They look like they are thriving. Good luck with them.

Thank you for your comments.

chippie - they are still intact, however I talked with the a guy at the feed store and he is coming this weekend to show me how to cut them. I have read about it and seen various youtube videos, however, I would like to see it firsthand before doing it myself.

msdelin":2jge0bqi said:
Thank you for your comments.

chippie - they are still intact, however I talked with the a guy at the feed store and he is coming this weekend to show me how to cut them. I have read about it and seen various youtube videos, however, I would like to see it firsthand before doing it myself.
No they are not too fat.

Looks like your doing a good job. Bottle calves always go thru an awkward looking stage. Yours might even look less awkward than normal. Congrats on getting in the biz.

denvermartinfarmes - the only problem is I don't know if I am doing the right thing. I did deworm last week and I will give a vitamin AD shot this week when I return from a trip. Other than that I did not give any vaccination or other medication except what was in the first milk replacer I used.

I think I will do this again, however should I vaccinate or leave them be until a symptom shows up?

I plan on selling these in a few months. I will start going to local cattle auction next week to get an idea of what they have in comparison to these. Do you think they would do good at an auction or better with a private sale. I know they will sell at beef cattle prices but am wondering how much they will get docked.

The next bottle calves will be all beef.

You might see if the guy who is going to cut them can also show you how to implant them. Also fresh grass would be better if possible. The stuff along the pen may have to much manure around it and the animals won't like it. Other than that they look good.

bird dog":3nirnfeo said:
You might see if the guy who is going to cut them can also show you how to implant them. Also fresh grass would be better if possible. The stuff along the pen may have to much manure around it and the animals won't like it. Other than that they look good.

I will check on the implants and look up more information on them. I also have other areas I can move them to so they can have fresh grass. (another pen) I was thinking about blocking access to one area and let them have the other grass and keep the water and grain in the same location. It is not that far of a travel for them and give the other grass a chance to grow again.

A couple weeks before you wean I would give them a Calvary 9 shot, that's blackleg with tetanus. Then at weaning give them another round of it and band them if they are bulls. The safeguard wormer in there feed is good, I use it. But this isn't really a place where it's necessary, I would get a good injectable to use, like cydectin, dectomax or ivomec. You could also give them a respiratory shot like, cattle master gold or vira shield. It won't hurt anything and it's good to be able to say they've had it when you sell them.

The calves you have look fine, and I can't say your doing anything wrong. Those are just some things you could do to help. Can you say where your located?

denvermartinfarms":2qia4y70 said:
A couple weeks before you wean I would give them a Calvary 9 shot, that's blackleg with tetanus. Then at weaning give them another round of it and band them if they are bulls. The safeguard wormer in there feed is good, I use it. But this isn't really a place where it's necessary, I would get a good injectable to use, like cydectin, dectomax or ivomec. You could also give them a respiratory shot like, cattle master gold or vira shield. It won't hurt anything and it's good to be able to say they've had it when you sell them.

The calves you have look fine, and I can't say your doing anything wrong. Those are just some things you could do to help. Can you say where your located?

Thank you for your advice, it will be followed. Regarding the Calvary shot you mentioned prior to weaning. Are referring to when they came off the bottle or when they get off the grain. They have been off a bottle for about 3 weeks now. If you are referring to off the bottle, can I still give them the Calvary or is it beyond that point now.

I am located in SW Florida about an hour from Sarasota.

msdelin":zswuk2cu said:
denvermartinfarms":zswuk2cu said:

Thank you for your advice, it will be followed. Regarding the Calvary shot you mentioned prior to weaning. Are referring to when they came off the bottle or when they get off the grain. They have been off a bottle for about 3 weeks now. If you are referring to off the bottle, can I still give them the Calvary or is it beyond that point now.

On the next ones give one round a couple weeks before weaning off the bottle a d then another when you give them there last bottle, that's also what I would worm, band and give a respiratory shot if you were going to. On these go ahead and do it now, it will be fine.

denvermartinfarms":1q2u7lhz said:
msdelin":1q2u7lhz said:
denvermartinfarms":1q2u7lhz said:

On the next ones give one round a couple weeks before weaning off the bottle a d then another when you give them there last bottle, that's also what I would worm, band and give a respiratory shot if you were going to. On these go ahead and do it now, it will be fine.

Will do. Thank you and everyone for your comments and suggestions.

You can give virtually any vaccines from day 10 or so on... calf's immune system kind of tanks between days 3-7 after birth, but if all is going well, they should be perfectly able to respond to them.
I try get clostridial bacterin/toxoid(including tetanus toxoid), like Cavalry-9 or comparable, into my calves as soon after 7-10 days of age as possible, and booster asap, according to label directions.
I never used to recommend the tetanus deal, but with the increasing use of elastrator bands - both on baby calves and larger bulls - I think it's well worth doing. I have personally lost one knife-cut steer and a heifer to tetanus... so banding is not the only concern.

Latest posts