need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
This is my problem. I have a 3 month old bottle calf. I had planned to keep her for my little herd. She has some sort of
neuro muscular disfunction in her hind legs. They are very close together and she sorts of shuffles stiff legged. She eats
calf starter and hay really well and has no other issues. She
has been vaccinated and wormed. Do I just cut my losses and take her to the salebarn now? ( she will bring next to nothing)
or keep on feeding her for the freezer or have the vet put her down? Thanks! holly PS my vet is stumped, to take her to
the "town" clinic would cost a small fortune. :shock:

your right if you sold her you would take a beating.if she is getting up an down ok id feed her for the freezer.she will work to go in the freezer.id plan on putting her in the freezer at 6 to 8 months.you dont want her to get to the point she cant get up an down.

bigbull338":27e8x1d0 said:
your right if you sold her you would take a beating.if she is getting up an down ok id feed her for the freezer.she will work to go in the freezer.id plan on putting her in the freezer at 6 to 8 months.you dont want her to get to the point she cant get up an down.

That sounds like the direction I would take.

Have to agree. If she is growing normally then I'd plan on putting some veal in the freeezer.
Not always pleasant but always real. Dmc

The calf gets up and down ok- just stilted and lurches forward
but then moves around.She is in an area alone and does not seem to be in any pain. Looks like Hubby will have fresh
veal ! :p I so do hate it when something like this occurs.
However, it just seems to go with the territory! ;-)

even though your using good quality milk replacer, i would give a shot of vit a+e, and put some eggs in each bottle just to add to it nutrition.

Latest posts