Need advice !

Help Support CattleToday:

mjbreitkreuz

Reaction score
We only have 12 head of cattle and one bull. We have lost 2 apparently healthy calves after their birth. We had one that we pulled through with colustrum supplement and warming. It is - 15 here and my husband feels it is the weather. i disagree, these calves seem and look healthy but soon become letargic and weak and never stand. The moms seem uninterested in their calfs .cattle are all healthy and seasoned mothers giving birth to these calfs. Any suggestions? It is heartbreaking to keep losing these calves.

mjbreitkreuz":1s77i0cw said:
We only have 12 head of cattle and one bull. We have lost 2 apparently healthy calves after their birth. We had one that we pulled through with colustrum supplement and warming. It is - 15 here and my husband feels it is the weather. i disagree, these calves seem and look healthy but soon become letargic and weak and never stand. The moms seem uninterested in their calfs .cattle are all healthy and seasoned mothers giving birth to these calfs. Any suggestions? It is heartbreaking to keep losing these calves.

Here's my advice.................... Find a vet. ;-) ;-)

mjbreitkreuz":os8gomz8 said:

A few other people on here that live in Canada have mentioned they are selenium deficient, and if memory serves I believe what you have described fits. Have you checked with your vet or extension office to see if you are in a selenium deficient area?

mjbreitkreuz":ki5acntp said:

It sounds like it could be selenium to me too. However, it would be a good idea to talk to a local vet and see what they have to say. -15 is cold enough that if the calf doesn't get going right away, that it just could be hypothermia too.

Randi

Thank-you all so much for your advice. It is greatly appreciated. My husband is going to the vets today to inquire about this situation. Thanks again. I will keep you all informed on our next calf.

msscamp":25fsabtf said:
gendronf":25fsabtf said:
If you feel for a good reading about selenium

My opinion, a newborn calf is too young to die from selenium deficiency. It's gonna be later.

White Muscle Disease is directly related to selenium deficiency and can kill a calf anywhere from birth to 4 or 6 weeks of age.

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat ... nw157.html

I was thinking the same thing myself. ;-)

White Muscle Disease is directly related to selenium deficiency and can kill a calf anywhere from birth to 4 or 6 weeks of age.

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat ... nw157.html[/quote]

I have to agree with you there, we have had it happen. It didn't kill them immediately, but with -15 C temps, it doesn't take long if the calf doesn't get up and going. We only lost one before we figured out what was wrong and that was how it happened.

mjbreitkreuz":s0482uap said:

How long you been keeping cattle?

Bez!

Hi Bez...We have been keeping cattle for the last ten years. My husband grew up on a ranch in Alberta Canada, and then went into police work for 28 years. We have never had so much problem as we have had in the lat year.So it is frustrating.