Need a utv opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Need to by a side by side looking at a Honda Pioneer 1000. I've had good luck with a Honda Rancher 4wheeler. What do the rest of you use and why?

Side by side is harder to fall out of than a an ATV plus they have seat belts and a cup holder.
That's all I've got

I use a 6 wheel Polaris. 16 year old professional series. Very heavy and very slow. Just my speed.
If it is as good as the Rancher it should be great.

Kawasaki mule. Of the UTVs I've seen it has the lowest bed so easiest for me to put stuff in. Not fast but it will get the job done.

For the money, the John Deere gator is the best option. I love mine. I have rode in a few side by sides. Extremely over priced and smaller beds.

The Gator and Mule have been around the longest and were actually designed for work.

I would stay away from the Honda DCT models until they are around a few more years. They're very complicated with a lot of moving parts and electronics. Hard to beat a modern belt drive.

I have not had the best experience with Polaris, but a few neighbors run the heck out of them and don't seem to have many problems.

kubota, mule, or gator..

that honda is junk with the transmission it has.. plus they are hard to get in and out of.

Atimm693":3gd6bjbq said:
I have not had the best experience with Polaris, but a few neighbors run the heck out of them and don't seem to have many problems.

What issue(s) did you have with the Polaris?

houstoncutter":3ub4m7mo said:
Need to by a side by side looking at a Honda Pioneer 1000. I've had good luck with a Honda Rancher 4wheeler. What do the rest of you use and why?

What are you planning on doing with it? Work or play or both?

All of them are pretty good now. It's more of matching them up with their strengths.

I was all in for Kubota, but now Kubota went and changed the whole RTV. Maybe it's a better but I sure don't see how, and the 2 speed transmission instead of a 3 speed makes no sense at all to me. I do like the cab with AC, the heat has been bad but the knats have been absolutely terrible. Good luck on whatever you buy.

I love my John Deere Gator 825i. 6300 miles and about 1000 hours I believe. It's plenty spacious and powerful to work but will also run mid to low 40's if you want to play.

callmefence":ngl7azpu said:
Anything will work. As long as it's Kawasaki

I have a 4010 and it's the perfect work truck but still have trouble with the sub-throttle actuator and have to manually move the blade from time to time.

cfpinz":13iqd6lb said:
Atimm693":13iqd6lb said:

What issue(s) did you have with the Polaris?

07 Ranger 700XP, radiator is out front and plugs with fescue any time you go through a field, needed ball joints at 600 hours, exhaust manifold and hardware rattled loose, full engine rebuild at 1100 hours (dealer blamed it on overheating, from the radiator issue), it's been through two parking brake cables, and the ECM went bad once. It went to the dealer once a few years before the engine rebuild for an issue with the EFI as well.

Why make a UTV that you can't take across a fescue field?

The thing is touchy as can be to drive, just barely tap the throttle and it wants to take off and keep going.

That being said, this is a pretty early model and I think Polaris has worked out most of those issues.

Latest posts