need a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
Just paid off my wife's Expedition and now it's my turn. Looking to buy a 250/2500 automatic with short bed super crew to drive to work and do some light hauling(cows, boat, trailer). Doesnt have to be new, but needs to last 10 years. My '95 F-150 has been great to me(200,000 miles), but I'm gonna donate it to my nephew. Any suggestions. Always been a Ford man, but I can be swayed.

Coming from another Ford guy, stick with the best. You have had nothing but good luck with the Ford you have, why change. If you want new, the 05 Super Duty is the way to go. That or wait another year, some rumors going around that the 07s have some huge changes. Just something to consider. Since you dont have serious work to do, Id recommend go test drive a few that you would consider buying (about the same options you want) and see which is most comfortable for you.

I have run chevrolets for a long time with very little trouble. Currently have a 05 4x6 Silverado 3500 with Duramax/Allison, 01 4x4 Silverado 2500 6.0 liter/5 speed manual, 72 C-30 2x6 350 cu. in./4 speed manual. All fine trucks in my book.

9 ER":3bqs445n said:
Just paid off my wife's Expedition and now it's my turn. Looking to buy a 250/2500 automatic with short bed super crew to drive to work and do some light hauling(cows, boat, trailer). Doesnt have to be new, but needs to last 10 years. My '95 F-150 has been great to me(200,000 miles), but I'm gonna donate it to my nephew. Any suggestions. Always been a Ford man, but I can be swayed.

Look around and see if you can get a pre-2003 F250 with a diesel. It will have a 7.3L diesel and are cheaper than the 2003 later 6L diesels. In my opinion, the safest way to go on a used truck. Lots of people traded their 7.3's for the new 6 liter motors.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2uszxi4u said:
Coming from another Ford guy, stick with the best. You have had nothing but good luck with the Ford you have, why change.
Wouldnt even consider anything else if I hadnt had so many problems with my wife's Expedition

flaboy wrote
Look around and see if you can get a pre-2003 F250 with a diesel. It will have a 7.3L diesel and are cheaper than the 2003 later 6L diesels. In my opinion, the safest way to go on a used truck. Lots of people traded their 7.3's for the new 6 liter motors.
why all the trade-ins?

What year is your wife's truck? My mother has one that has had some problems. Whatever you get, if you get an extended warranty make sure it is offered through the manufacturer and not a warranty company. I have a 01 F-150 4x4 that the transmission went out on and the warranty company told me that since the truck had been off-road and had big tires that it voided the warranty. Now if you look at 4x4 Ford the sticker on the side says 4x4 off-road. Go figure.

Yeah, those warranty companies are out to screw you over. A buddy of mine had a 02 Expedition with a 6" life and 35" tires, and took it mudding all the time. He blew the tranny several times and any time Ford argued about covering it, he just said it was 4x4, so its supposed to be able to go through mud. Never had a problem with that.

flaboy wrote
why all the trade-ins?[/quote]

Many people like myself were due for a new truck but we kept waiting for the new 6 liter motor that was rumored for two years. I waited another year after they came out to let them get some of bugs out of the new truck as I need mine to be ready when I am. Mainly it was the new tranny and motor. I love my truck :heart:

JMHayes":3ofu5wu1 said:
What year is your wife's truck? My mother has one that has had some problems. Whatever you get, if you get an extended warranty make sure it is offered through the manufacturer and not a warranty company. I have a 01 F-150 4x4 that the transmission went out on and the warranty company told me that since the truck had been off-road and had big tires that it voided the warranty. Now if you look at 4x4 Ford the sticker on the side says 4x4 off-road. Go figure.
Its a '01. Transmission problems, vibrates like a s.o.b. 60+mph, rattles in dash and door, ac motor. Service has been horrible. The reason my wife wanted a Ford was because of my truck and now she will never get another one. Makes me second guess myself.

you're right about the extended warranty. They have been a pain in the butt as well.

9 ER":h72yocsx said:
JMHayes":h72yocsx said:

I don't mean to second guess you here but if the warranty paper does not state these as exceptions, they must honor the warranty. Now with that said, it would have probably cost more for an attorney than the tranny rebuild cost. Sometimes just hint of lawsuit will make them come around also.

I'm a Dodge Cummins man myself, but I would go with whichever brand can provide you with the best service. Being brand loyal is alright, but being able to have your vehicle serviced or having warranty work done without hassle is very important in my book. Also, you can buy what you think is the best built truck on the market, but I will guarantee you that somewhere down the line something will break and or not function properly and if you cant get decent parts and service, you won't be satisfied. I think it also helps to get to know your salesman, that usually makes it easier to get future service work done without all the hassle.

Just my $.02

as far as brands of trucks that really doesnt matter its the service the dealership gives you but its always best to know the owner of the dealership as well i always talked to the owner weather it it was buying or repair probs an the salemen knew id talk to the owner made things alot easier scott

9 ER":2a5g202f said:
I'm more concerned about gas milage and comfort than pulling power. Any suggestions?

They make a truck that gets good gas milage? :lol:

My Super Duty is very comfortable but then I am coming from a 96 that rode like freight train. It a 6L diesel 4x4 and rides really well, you don't here the diesel inside the cab much at all, and gets about 18HWY @75MPH. Others claim to get more.

I'm not sure what the Dodges do for MPG's. Maybe some here can comment. I never had a pickup with a gas motor that did better than 16MPG running empty.

Not sure about what the off-shore brands are doing but then again I wouldn't own one.

I've got an '05 Dodge cummins and usually get about 16-18 mpg in town and local driving. I can get 20-21 mpg on a longer trip running 70 mph. I pulled a stock trailer to Springfield last week on the back roads (55-60 mph) and a little I44 driving, and got 13.7 mpg on a 230 mile round trip. I thought that was pretty decent for pulling a 20 ft gooseneck.

Dodge has also quieted down there diesels. It is very hard to hear them in the cab with the windows up.

I really don't consider myself brand loyal either. I grew up thinking that Chevy was the only truck there was, would not be seen in a Ford during daylight hours, and could not care less about Dodge one way or the other. I now drive a Dodge 3500SRW with the 6sp because I thought that it was the best truck for my purposes.

Basically, each of the trucks have their advantages/disadvantages and it just depends on what you will be using it for.

The Dodge drives nice, rides nice, and has the Cummins.

The Ford is the quietest in the cab at highway speeds, rode smoother than the Dodge, has a roomier interior, better auto, and seems to have better fit/finish overall. I just do not trust the 6.0L. I'm really anxious to see the 07 and all of its reported changes.

The Chevy and GMC do everything pretty well. They have the most comfortable seats, the interior is a little aged but very well laid out, and the Dmax/Alli is a good combo.

It came down to price and performance for me. The Dodge may not win many races (which I don't believe trucks are for, anyway), but it will finish every time. If I had all of the money in the world I would be driving a F-350 King Ranch (and when the 6.0 puked I would drop a 12v 5.9 Cummins in there).

EKUgrad":2x6qtsvl said:
I really don't consider myself brand loyal either. I grew up thinking that Chevy was the only truck there was, would not be seen in a Ford during daylight hours, and could not care less about Dodge one way or the other. I now drive a Dodge 3500SRW with the 6sp because I thought that it was the best truck for my purposes.

Basically, each of the trucks have their advantages/disadvantages and it just depends on what you will be using it for.

The Dodge drives nice, rides nice, and has the Cummins.

The Ford is the quietest in the cab at highway speeds, rode smoother than the Dodge, has a roomier interior, better auto, and seems to have better fit/finish overall. I just do not trust the 6.0L. I'm really anxious to see the 07 and all of its reported changes.

The Chevy and GMC do everything pretty well. They have the most comfortable seats, the interior is a little aged but very well laid out, and the Dmax/Alli is a good combo.

It came down to price and performance for me. The Dodge may not win many races (which I don't believe trucks are for, anyway), but it will finish every time. If I had all of the money in the world I would be driving a F-350 King Ranch (and when the 6.0 puked I would drop a 12v 5.9 Cummins in there).

It's nice to see we can all get along and not start throwing jabs at the other brands. I have seen so much of this going on and thought this thread may take off that way. Hey drive what you want but don't look down your nose at what others drive.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.

Latest posts