need a new 8 wheel rake

Help Support CattleToday:

MasseyFerg

Reaction score
I want a new 8 wheel rake to replace my old NH rollabar.

Looking at a H and S, and a Kuhn so far. The Kuhn is way heavy and costs a lot more. any other brands out there. what do you use and like?

Since I have a tedder do I need the center kicker wheel?

I have a 10 wheel kuhn ..very reliable . and it has large enough tires you can road it behind the truck with no problem .

I switched to a Gehl 8 wheel about 20 years ago from the rollerbars and never looked back. Since then they have made alot of improvements on the low end models like mine. The Khun sure looks nice because of the large frame clearence. They are not perfect but no way you would get me to go with a rotary or back to a rollerbar.

hayray":3v7xpslp said:
I switched to a Gehl 8 wheel about 20 years ago from the rollerbars and never looked back. Since then they have made alot of improvements on the low end models like mine. The Khun sure looks nice because of the large frame clearence. They are not perfect but no way you would get me to go with a rotary or back to a rollerbar.
Depends on the hay field. We have one that a wheel rake works good on. It's almost square (at least doesn;t have too many corners) and long enoguh that it's worth while. All of the others are odd shaped and don;t have much manuevering space. Most run from around 5 to 15 acres. The rollabar works great for that.

I just bought a Kuhn 8 Wheel, with center kicker. Center is held up with lever to cut off hydraluics if not needed. Cut my raking time in at least 1/2 maybe more. Nice fluffed up windrows and baled great. I raked 2/3's tetted, and 1/3 untetted. saw little difference. Seemed to not knock off the leaves as bad on the clover as rollerbar. I probally ran to fast with rollerbar anyway trying to get rows ready to bale. I would never go back.

See my thread where I was asking here - Need a new rake - http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71243

Good luck

Latest posts