Need a little help please

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old brahman bull and today he is laying around a lot. When he stands he will take a few steps back and kick at his belly his breathing is fine fever is ok no other problems.
I used a pour on wormer on him (Noromectin) about 2 weeks
ago. Could this pour on cause this? Thanks for your help.

Stewart

Bellyache? Is he bloated?

My brother would give a little bit of banamine when calves this age would act like that. Not that I'm recommending you do that!

Call a vet, describe what's going on and ask him/her what he/she thinks.

Alice

He don't seem to be bloated at all. He is on grass pasture and gets about a hand full of grain a day. Thanks TTCLM for the reply.

Stewart

has the bull been eating his feed grass an hay.or has he been just laying around.an as was asked have you seen fresh piles of manure.from the way your talking id say he has a twisted stomach or a DA.an i would call the vet an have him checked for a twisted stomach.an no the pour on wormer shouldnt cause that.

If he had a heavy load of worms couldn't worming cause some kind of colic? I don't use that stuff (to dry for worms around here) so don't know how long it takes to work, but know it can cause problems in other animals????

Thanks for all of the replys, I watched him this afternoon and he acts like he is constipated eats a little grain but does not seem to be able to drink. Don't feel anything in his throat that could be choking him taking him to the vet in the morning. Thanks everyone for the help.

Stewart

Let us know the outcome. I'd rather doubt it's a DA as I've seen a few and never seen a DA cow that "kicked at its belly" -- they just go completely off feed, drop weight, but act OK otherwise -- but of course I could be wrong.

I took my bull to the vet yesterday and she gave him a shot of banamine and carmalax bolets has know idea what is wrong with him. He is not any better today so i have been putting cooking oil down his throat about 2 quarts today. He acts like he is plugged up lays all the time but does get up and move with the other cows. Vet did go in his butt and cleaned him out but he still has not pooped. He is swelled some but not real bad yet, breathing is still normal. He does not graze or chew his cud and still kicks at his belly thanks for any and all help.

Stewart

I've been following this post with interest. About all I can do is postulate, with no certainty or helpful advice.

Is there plastics or any other type trash in the area he could have ingested?

It sounds exactly like the symptom I heard where a calf swallowing a shotgun shell hull. Calf/steer chewed the hull and fretted it all up. Then it cut his intestines. Vet couldn't figure what was wrong other than symptons of bloating. It was a very good vet too. The steer was very healthy which only prolonged the ordeal.

If there is plastic trash in the proximity, things like plastic soda bottles even, you may check for signs of where they have been chewed and spit out. Some fragments may have gone down him.

Folks are bad about tossing soda bottles out of their cars along the roadsides. The sun degrades them and they get all fretted up. Calves will chew and play with them. (the have chewed and flattened my wiring harnesses on trailers too many times too)

Wish I could offer some sound advice but it is simply too broad of a thing.

backhoeboogie, Yes i have found plastic bags and other stuff that blow in the pasture from other people from time to time and try to keep it picked up you are probably right but the vet said the carmalax should make him pass anything he may have ate. Thanks alot for your reply.

Stewart

I would stick a magnet in him. He could have a nail, wire, or someother hardware poking his insides, making him kick at stomach. Could be why he's not eating or has'nt ate for a few days, so why you're not seeing him evacuate. I'd sure stick a $2.00 magnet in him before operating for twisted gut. I would'nt rule out a urinary blockage, or bladder stone either.

Hardware?

I still seriously doubt it's a DA as I haven't yet seen a DA cow that kicked at its belly. They go completely off feed (bull in question ate grain Friday) but act OK otherwise. Stewart, what did your vet check him for? I hope she listened to his heart, lungs, gut...made sure everything sounded normal.

I feel like BHB -- hard to offer suggestions as it could be almost anything. Good luck though.

Plastic could be it. We have lost animals to all kinds of garbage (we are in the path of migration from Mexico and also have an interstate bisecting the ranch)

I have some friends that lost a heifer which had ingested another animal's eartag. Normally they could handle something like a tag no problem, but it got in just the right position and blocked her up like a flapper valve.

You may have answered this and I missed it. Is she still eating the forage?

Im pretty sure if she has a nail or some other kind of tramp iron in her reticulum or rumen causing this problem, a Magnet isnt going to work anymore, but it could as long as whatever it may be hasnt actually pierced anything yet.

Loss of appetite would be an indicator of hardware diease as would the kicking at the belly.

Other than that I really have no idea. Other than what you have already done, the only thing I would do is what everyone else has said, just watch her and see if whats going in, comes back out the right end. I probably wouldnt give her anymore grain either until I figured out what was going on.

I am going to call the vet this morning and tell her he is no better but she already told me saterday there is nothing else she can do. She did a physical exam heart, lungs, temp, and rumen said he had slight temp and no rumen activity she also said that since he would bow his back down he did'nt have hardware diease said if he did he would only arch his back up i don't know but thats what she said but he has never arched his back yet when he stands he will bow his back down like a sway backed horse. I am going to try the magnet and thats all i know to do. He has stopped eating and drinking but is still plenty strong right now but that probably won't last long. The other vets around here are worst than this one. Thanks for everyones help.

Stewart

stewart":wptzq61d said:
I am going to call the vet this morning and tell her he is no better but she already told me saterday there is nothing else she can do. She did a physical exam heart, lungs, temp, and rumen said he had slight temp and no rumen activity she also said that since he would bow his back down he did'nt have hardware diease said if he did he would only arch his back up i don't know but thats what she said but he has never arched his back yet when he stands he will bow his back down like a sway backed horse. I am going to try the magnet and thats all i know to do. He has stopped eating and drinking but is still plenty strong right now but that probably won't last long. The other vets around here are worst than this one. Thanks for everyones help.

Stewart

When you wack him, and you probably will have to, cut home open and see what's causing the blockage in his guts and post the results.

Thanks

dun

Called vet 2 times both times said she was busy would call me back but never did. Still giving him oil he seems to be walking and standing a little more. He did drink water this evening but still not eating grass or grain have gave him three quarts of cooking oil since yesterday and still have not seen him poop but he is not kicking at his belly today. Could not get magnet today but will for sure in the morning.

Stewart

Just wanted to let anyone know that might be interested that he was grazing and eating a little grain day before yesterday like he was fine, yesterday laying all day not eating ,grazing or drinking but i think he will be ok. Thanks very much for everyones help.

Stewart

My bull did that a while back and feeding him some straw made his belly feel better in a couple days.

I'm glad to hear he is feeling better today.

I agree with the posters that suggested he ingested a bag or something plastic. That sounds more likely than hardware. The cases of hardware that I've had the cattle got diarreha, not plugged up. I don't think I'd bother with a magnet.

Hopefully the oil will help "move" whatever is blocking him. If he's feeling better that's a good indication. It may just take some time for him to pass it. Don't be worried if his manure is really loose when he finally does "go".

Good luck!