Neck bars

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I was talking in another post that we worked cattle the other day, we had trouble getting some of the cattle to cooperate in the chute to give the shots in the proper location. I've seen the neck bars advertised before think I could make it pretty easily and just weld or bolt them to the headgate. Does anyone have any experience with them. We give the shots in the neck according to bqa

Thanks

I put a pair on my Priefert, ill give em to you if you want them. Hated them, all I have to do is pull the head catch a little tighter and the neck is right there.

Ky cowboy":2sokv4qg said:
I was talking in another post that we worked cattle the other day, we had trouble getting some of the cattle to cooperate in the chute to give the shots in the proper location. I've seen the neck bars advertised before think I could make it pretty easily and just weld or bolt them to the headgate. Does anyone have any experience with them. We give the shots in the neck according to bqa

Thanks
Ever tried giving sub Q shots behind the front leg right where it joins the shoulder?? Not BQA but a heck of a lot easier and just as effective. Another place is in the fold of skin either side of the tailhead.

TexasBred":2lofoi2a said:
Ky cowboy":2lofoi2a said:

Thanks
Ever tried giving sub Q shots behind the front leg right where it joins the shoulder?? Not BQA but a heck of a lot easier and just as effective. Another place is in the fold of skin either side of the tailhead.

Oh crap. You just opened a can of worms.

Bright Raven":3cxe57rj said:
TexasBred":3cxe57rj said:
Ky cowboy":3cxe57rj said:

Thanks

Lol yep!

Bright Raven":z2vb8dhi said:
TexasBred":z2vb8dhi said:
Ky cowboy":z2vb8dhi said:

Thanks

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: They'll never find any evidence. :nod:

I was hoping that they would hold the head tighter where I could give shots easier and faster. It's an old ww squeeze chute with the auto catch so can't tighten on their head anymore really. I borrow the chute from my grandad but gonna take it back and replace it with a priefert 91 I think. I liked that you could switch from auto to manual. It's only gonna be a head gate not enough room for squeeze really and not in the budget

One of our foremost headgates has them. Have only had them a year but so far have had a few cows go down on front knees and slide their neck under the bottom of the neck bar then it's a real pain to get back. Have to let the cow back out of the headgate before letting them go. I think if they were used along with a brisket bar they might be pretty nice, but I'm not sold on them yet.

I just use a chain welded to far side and pull it across under their neck/chin to a slotted lug on the opposite side, I find it works well on the few occaisions I need it.

Ken

Latest posts