NCAA Football

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
Word is that ESPN has been working quite a while on a story concerning recruiting violations that will bring down a major program. Plenty of schools are nervous. The school most people are guessing is Oregon.

ChrisB":2z66xb9t said:
Word is that ESPN has been working quite a while on a story concerning recruiting violations that will bring down a major program. Plenty of schools are nervous. The school most people are guessing is Oregon.

This rumor has been going on for a few days now, although from all I have heard, it was to be a breaking story from Sports Illustrated. Two days ago SI broke a story concerning crimes in relationship to NCAA football teams. The rumour was a scandle involving a top ten team and tht Oregon was mentioned. The top ten team they picked on was Pitt, their team had the highest amount of crimes committed in the NCAA by football players (last year)..... Oregon had 7 this was from last off season when Mosoli stole a lap top from a frat house, he had another of the seven getting caught with pot in his car, he was already suspended for a year from the team that got him kicked off and onto the Ole Miss team. One was the guy with Mosoli at the frat house who quite the team rather than jump through Kelly's hoops. The others involved fights at parties and one guy got a DUI. DUI got him kicked off for a year.

Although there is still a trickle of rumor going around I'll do some research to see what's happening. Oregon coaches and AD did state they have had no contact from the NCAA regarding any violations.... I believe them and this to be a rumor created by the shock jocks called the media trying to hype and sell a story.

Alan

I just surfed some of my Duck and other NCAA football sites all I'm finding is the SI article listing crimes by football players. Although I did find out that the Pac 12 just fired a bunch of football officals and hired new ones.... that's long over due.

I hope it's just a rumor, pretty sure it is.
Alan

ChrisB":uvgs95h8 said:

Well my apologies, I just saw this tonight on espn.com. I hope it's much to do about nothing, but it sounds like part of the NCAA investigations on third party recruitment agencies. But it sounds like the Ducks had and have all their "ducks" in a row, meaning the Oregon NCAA compliance department knew and approve all transactions and the agencies met all the criteria required of the NCAA ..... But we will see.

Alan

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6179423

Alan, it looks like it is nothing and was a way to hype a story as you said. Unless there is more to it than came out so far.

Alan":1jhstkbg said:
I just surfed some of my Duck and other NCAA football sites all I'm finding is the SI article listing crimes by football players. Although I did find out that the Pac 12 just fired a bunch of football officals and hired new ones.... that's long over due.

Alan

Alan tell those fellows to take a trip to Austin, Texas when they finish up that way. :mrgreen:

Well my Ducks have made it to the big time! NCAA is looking into our recruiting practices, in a nut shell it doesn't sound like we did anything wrong, the red flag came up when we paid a third party for "a sports package", this package included all game film, stats, and personal info on a number of players (personal info included birth dates, address, phone, etc.). We paid the company $25K for the package, most packages cost 3 to $5K, but this was a multi player package, also the $25K was contracted to a company and paid to the owner of the company, but the owner had desolved the company while completing the contract. Most experts are saying it's all above board.

Now for the interesting info .... our local media outlets are reporting that the NCAA received a tip on our recruiting practices from an individual out of the University of Texas, yes some Longhorn pointed the finger it sounds like. The reason being is Oregon is and has been pulling big recruits out of Texas. Last year we got a 5 star running back, our current all American running back is out of Texas and we pulled another big running back from there. Our QB is also from the great state.

Now, I'm the first to admit how much I hate the lying, truth twisting, rumor spreading media, but is an interesting spin on things. Seems the big boys may be playing hard ball..... Maybe it's all hype.

I hope I didn't hide my feeling about the media too much. :tiphat:
Alan

Oregon Football Recruiting Scandal Could Crush Ducks' Rise to Prominence

In case you haven't already heard, a new college football recruiting scandal has emerged. Meanwhile, unnamed sources have confirmed that the sky is, in fact, blue.

All kidding aside, this latest scandal involves the Oregon Ducks. And from the sound of things, the program could very well be feeling the wrath of the NCAA in the near future.

The issue at hand is the fact that it has been uncovered that the university dished out over $28,000 for "recruiting services" in the spring of 2010, $25,000 of which went to one man.

Oregon officials have freely admitted to doing so, and the latest word from ESPN is that they have agreed to hand over documents to the NCAA that will shed light on exactly what was going on.

What the NCAA is interested in finding out in particular is exactly how $25,000 ended up in the hands of a Texas-based trainer named Willie Lyles, who played a kind of unspecified role in the recruitment of running back Lache Seastrunk in 2010. He also has ties to LaMichael James, who of course was a Heisman Trophy finalist in 2010.

Now, it's not necessarily against the rules for programs to pay for recruiting services, and the Oregon brass has stated that they acted within NCAA rules.

However, $25,000 is a lot of money, and there is a rule (NCAA bylaw 12.3.3.1) that states that a program cannot give out "fees" for anybody who helps place a player at the school.

Roughly translated, there are no bonuses. And this is something that Evelyn Seastrunk, Lache's mother, is concerned about.

"Willie said he was a trainer," she said. "Now Oregon says he's a scout? Is he on Oregon's payroll? If Willie Lyles collected $25,000 off my son he needs to be held accountable. The NCAA must find out for me. I don't know how to digest someone cashing in on my son."

She obviously has a point. Forking over such a sum to a recruiter (or whatever Lyles is) like that is essentially no different from giving it to a player's family member, coach, or friend.

Still, despite the fact that this whole situation is such a good excuse to start a witch hunt, it sounds like there is at least a slim possibility that this could end up being much ado about nothing.

If it turns out that Oregon did indeed break the rules, well, ho hum. This is, after all, college football recruiting we're talking about here. The unfortunate reality is that most (if not all) college programs are crooked in some way or another, and actually having to own up for their crimes is a simple matter of getting caught.

As Hunter S. Thompson once wrote, "In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." That about sums it up.

Here's a little article I found on the subject. The paragraph I highlighted is, in my opinion, the sad truth of the state of affairs in major college sports today. In other words, if the NCAA digs deep enough at Oregon they'll probably find some sort of violation. It could be minor, it could be something big, it might or might not involve a coach or two, but it's almost certainly there. But the same could be said of any other major college program, especially football. You dig deep enough and you'll find something there. There's too much money, too much pressure to win and win now, and too much pride involved for there not to be. Call me a cynic, but that's the way I see it.

As for the Oregon case, it was only a matter of time before someone started pointing fingers. No offense, Alan, but your Ducks haven't exactly been known as a national football power down through the years. All of a sudden, just within the past couple of years, they're on top of the world, or very close. That doesn't mean they cheated to get there, but that's the type of thing that raises eyebrows.

The Texas connection is no surprise either. Any time a school like Oregon or Illinois or any other goes into a football crazy state like Texas and takes a couple of "their" kids, they get suspicious and start looking into things. It's almost impossible for people at programs like Texas, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, etc. to believe that one of "their" blue chippers would want to leave the state and play somewhere else. So they assume that the out of state school cheated and they start pointing fingers. Happens all the time.

Remember when SMU got the "death penalty" back in the 80's? Turns out that the bigger Texas schools had been cheating like there was no tomorrow. Most of them even got put on probation a couple of times for minor violations. But that was mostly over recruitment of in state players. Everybody looked the other way because they were doing it, too. There was one case where Texas A&M bought Eric Dickerson a car while he was still in high school expecting him to play for the Aggies. Dickerson ended up going to SMU for cash and kept the car. There wasn't much A&M could do at that point. If they turn SMU in, they go down with them. That's the way it was back then.

Anyway, it wasn't until SMU went into Pennsylvania and recruited the No. 1 ranked player in the state that the whole house of cards started to come down. The people at Pitt got suspicious and sent someone to talk to the kid's mother. After he left there he contacted the NCAA and got them involved. After that, the dominos started falling and a year later the SMU program was shut down. So I guess the moral of the story is: if you're gonna cheat, stay in your state.

The Texas connection is no surprise either. Any time a school like Oregon or Illinois or any other goes into a football crazy state like Texas and takes a couple of "their" kids, they get suspicious and start looking into things. It's almost impossible for people at programs like Texas, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, etc. to believe that one of "their" blue chippers would want to leave the state and play somewhere else. So they assume that the out of state school cheated and they start pointing fingers. Happens all the time.

That's one reason for the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry. Over half the kids on the OU team are always from Texas and were highly recruited by TU...LSU does almost as good a job as OU. And it's not just football..it's every sport. Of course TU has them lined up begging to play for them so I don't understand why they get so bent out of shape. Maybe next year TU's last game will be against OU (Oregon University). :nod: :nod: Would love to see the Ducks send them home with their tail between their legs.

VanC":1dcd410t said:
if the NCAA digs deep enough at Oregon they'll probably find some sort of violation. It could be minor, it could be something big, it might or might not involve a coach or two, but it's almost certainly there. But the same could be said of any other major college program, especially football. You dig deep enough and you'll find something there. There's too much money, too much pressure to win and win now, and too much pride involved for there not to be. Call me a cynic, but that's the way I see it.

I agree 100% I think if the NCAA digs deep enough in any major college football program something will turn up. It's the nature of the beast.

As for the Oregon case, it was only a matter of time before someone started pointing fingers. No offense, Alan, but your Ducks haven't exactly been known as a national football power down through the years. All of a sudden, just within the past couple of years, they're on top of the world, or very close. That doesn't mean they cheated to get there, but that's the type of thing that raises eyebrows.

Oregon's program actually started it's turn around around 93, under Rich Brooks, that's when we started beating Washington in a some what consistant manor. In I believe 2004 we finished the season ranked #2, that was the year Nebraska finished 2nd in the Big 12 to Colorado and still went on to play Miami in the National champship game .... the year I learned to hate the BCS system. But I agree with you completly, start pulling kids out of football crazy states like Texas, Florida, Oklahoma watch out! And know that we have been a fairly consistant top 10 team for a few years we do have a target on our back, and much of the country does not like that we have Uncle Phil.

I just heard this morning that the Ducks new defense is that we are going to say "Illinois told us it was okay", so we didn't know...and, and it was all my dad, we didn't know anything about it! :D

Alan

TexasBred":2eub5krq said:
Uh oh...I see a church somewhere gettin' a new family life center. :mrgreen:

Well so far dad's church as only been offered $175,000 but we're holding out. :D

Alan

TexasBred":2bmzxivl said:

That's one reason for the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry. Over half the kids on the OU team are always from Texas and were highly recruited by TU...LSU does almost as good a job as OU. And it's not just football..it's every sport. Of course TU has them lined up begging to play for them so I don't understand why they get so bent out of shape. Maybe next year TU's last game will be against OU (Oregon University). :nod: :nod: Would love to see the Ducks send them home with their tail between their legs.

Have your fun TB, I figure the everybody will get to thump the Longhorns for another season, but after that look out. I dont think the rebuilding at Austin will takes as long as it has at AggieLand...As for crooks in recruiting, I will mention one the Aggies had....Remember Jackie Sherril....everywhere he went...the NCAA followed....Remember that ol saying about throwing stones when your living in a glass house.

Have your fun TB, I figure the everybody will get to thump the Longhorns for another season, but after that look out. I dont think the rebuilding at Austin will takes as long as it has at AggieLand...As for crooks in recruiting, I will mention one the Aggies had....Remember Jackie Sherril....everywhere he went...the NCAA followed....Remember that ol saying about throwing stones when your living in a glass house.

Cutter..it's always fun to gig the Horns as we don't get that many opportunities so definitely have to enjoy it while we can. But i said nothing about "your" recruiting policies...only that the NCAA should come down and harass you guys. Get the burr out of your butt before I hit YOUR glass house with a stone, teasipper. :mrgreen: OH and for whatever it's worth my daugher and son in law both are grads of UT. ;-) Makes for a fun Thanksgiving.

TexasBred":1ienia9i said:
Alan":1ienia9i said:

Alan

Alan tell those fellows to take a trip to Austin, Texas when they finish up that way. :mrgreen:

TexasBred, I will be the first to admit when it comes to education, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer... Thankfully my daughter did not have my learning disabilities, and got in and out of UT in four years.....BUT....looking at the above quote, doesnt seem that you are implying that the NCAA come to Austin, to give em a medal....As for a Thanksgiving song to put oil on the waters between the warring factions....Bill Pekar's ....The Colors Are ALL THE SAME......Gotta run.... I gotta tint the glass in my house!

houstoncutter said:
TexasBred, I will be the first to admit when it comes to education, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer... Thankfully my daughter did not have my learning disabilities, and got in and out of UT in four years.....BUT....looking at the above quote, doesnt seem that you are implying that the NCAA come to Austin, to give em a medal....As for a Thanksgiving song to put oil on the waters between the warring factions....Bill Pekar's ....The Colors Are ALL THE SAME......Gotta run.... I gotta tint the glass in my house!

Cutter...we've all had our share of black eyes thru the ages. Ol' Jackie Sherrill was taught by the best....Bear Bryant. lolol...but both were winners wherever they went. As for the house..don't use burnt orange....a nice blue tint will look better. ;-)

Houstoncutter, glad to see another college football fan at CT, I hope you and your longhorns join the discussions next year. We had a good thread going most of last season, hope to do the same next year, BTW just so you know I'm an Aggie fan by proxy which means my wife demands it since she's a grad. Ducks in my heart, Aggie's when she's around.

Only 178 days until LSU at Jimmy's place in Dallas .... Too long!

Alan

Alan":ywiwhs7k said:
Houstoncutter, glad to see another college football fan at CT, I hope you and your longhorns join the discussions next year. We had a good thread going most of last season, hope to do the same next year, BTW just so you know I'm an Aggie fan by proxy which means my wife demands it since she's a grad. Ducks in my heart, Aggie's when she's around.

Only 178 days until LSU at Jimmy's place in Dallas .... Too long!

Alan

Too bad about the location. I'd rather play in the Trinity River Bottom right below the DFW primary sewer dump.

Just wanted to say thanks to Jim Tressel for taking the Ducks out of the spotlight for awhile anyway. :D

Alan