nasal vaccine opinions wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
looking for some opinions on the nasal vaccine on nursing calves?? is it worth the effort? can you tell it makes a difference?

thanks

jt

i think they work.b/c its less stress on man an cattle. an since its not a shot.no chance for the knotts that come with the shots.as well as quicker.scott

sidney411":1zfipz61 said:
They are more expensive then the injectable versions of vaccine though.

the price i got for the nasal was about 50 cents a dose..

jt

How much is it in a 50 dose bottle? The nasal dose the vet gave to my heifer was $2.20 which is a lot more then the injectable with runs about $15.00 per 50 dose bottle.

sidney411":1g6w6021 said:
How much is it in a 50 dose bottle? The nasal dose the vet gave to my heifer was $2.20 which is a lot more then the injectable with runs about $15.00 per 50 dose bottle.

not sure i understand the first question.? a 10 dose bottle of tsv2 or something like that is 5.15 a 10 dose bottle.

what injection are you giving that only cost $15 for a 50 dose bottle?

jt

BarVac 8 is what I gave last time. There are several in that price range though. I was asking if the nasal also came in a 50 dose bottle.

sidney411":13a4hut8 said:
BarVac 8 is what I gave last time. There are several in that price range though. I was asking if the nasal also came in a 50 dose bottle.

yes it does come in 50 doses.. its about $23. it also comes in 25 doses.. this nasal is a one dose treatment for p13 and ibr.. unless the calf is under 6 months, and then they recommend another does at weaning..

i am not familiar with barvac 8.. i give a barvac 7, but it is for blackleg.

jt

OK JT, you got me, I went back and looked on my records and I was wrong!
I have been using ViraShield 6+VL5 which is $86.95/50 dose bottle ($1.74/dose) and Clostridial 8-way + RedWater which is $13.35/50 dose ($0.27/dose). The TSV Nasal is $23.30/50 dose ($0.47/dose) but it only covers IBR and PI3, so what do you give to cover BVD NCP Types 1 & 2 & CP Type 1, BRSV (KV), Campylobacter Fetus, Lepto Canicola, Grippotyphosa, Hardjo-Icterohaemorrhagiae, Pomaona Bacterin that are covered in the ViraShield? Do you give another shot?

sidney411":miz8aq7c said:
OK JT, you got me, I went back and looked on my records and I was wrong!
I have been using ViraShield 6+VL5 which is $86.95/50 dose bottle ($1.74/dose) and Clostridial 8-way + RedWater which is $13.35/50 dose ($0.27/dose). The TSV Nasal is $23.30/50 dose ($0.47/dose) but it only covers IBR and PI3, so what do you give to cover BVD NCP Types 1 & 2 & CP Type 1, BRSV (KV), Campylobacter Fetus, Lepto Canicola, Grippotyphosa, Hardjo-Icterohaemorrhagiae, Pomaona Bacterin that are covered in the ViraShield? Do you give another shot?

sidney, i too use the vira shield vl5. but not on nursing calves. i vaccinate at weaning. i am not saying this is best, its just what i have been doing. in an effort to improve, i was considering using a nasal on them pre-weaning, and that is what prompted my question.

at weaning or shortly thereafter, i vaccinate any calves that will be retained with the vira shield and blackleg plus somnus, and follow both up with the boosters. i am considering changing when i give the blackleg, and giving it to all calves at around 3 months of age with a nasal.

i dont know if what i am doing is best, but at this point it is where i am. there are so many ideas and thoughts on when and what to use, that sometimes it gets a little confusing.. so far i have been very fortunate in that i have had very little problems with sickness or diesease, but i want to stay ahead of that if possible, so i vaccinate.

i found a wesite that might help.

http://www.jordancattle.com/prem_weaned_guidelines.pdf

jt

Latest posts