Name that Weed (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":3dxbbnd0 said:
milesvb":3dxbbnd0 said:
Carlos D.":3dxbbnd0 said:
do you hunt doves down there-are you talking about those birds about the size of a pigeon -- and they nest in canada

mourning doves, whitewings and now we've Eurasian doves around town

season starts September 1st in this area

Are those Eurasian ones what we call ringnecks? Lots of them here too. I have noticed more doves nesting here this summer than ever.

yeah, I think so, as big or bigger than a whitewing except a uniform grayish brown color and square tail, almost like a small pigeon

MikeC -- I had some pet ringneck doves (ringed turtle doves) about 100 years ago when I was a kid, but the ring necked doves I see flying free around Houston these days seem to be a good bit larger in body size. Really beautiful birds and I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to fire any lead at them in Sept. I recall reading several articles about how they (as well as whitewing doves) have greatly expanded their range and I believe they are actually Eurasian Collared Doves. Several major cities in Texas now have very large populations of them. I think they first appeared in the USA in Florida (possibly riding hurricane winds ??) and have since spread out.

Arnold Ziffle":1qk2wxu0 said:
MikeC -- I had some pet ringneck doves (ringed turtle doves) about 100 years ago when I was a kid, but the ring necked doves I see flying free around Houston these days seem to be a good bit larger in body size. Really beautiful birds and I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to fire any lead at them in Sept. I recall reading several articles about how they (as well as whitewing doves) have greatly expanded their range and I believe they are actually Eurasian Collared Doves. Several major cities in Texas now have very large populations of them. I think they first appeared in the USA in Florida (possibly riding hurricane winds ??) and have since spread out.

My game warden told me that they came in on Hurricane Opal.
Thay are also legal to shoot here year round. Only the Mourning Doves are listed in the Game and Fish Harvest manual.

I don't think the State thinks it is such a good idea for them to multiply unchecked. Or so I have been told. They are pretty birds though, and eat just as well as the mourning dove.
Dang sure make a mess in the troughs when feeding though.

Beefy we got them down here too. I have looked all over the WEB for a picture like your ornamental flower :lol: and can't find one. I had an old man (older than me) tell me what he called them. I will see if I can catch up with him and get that name again. I even searched our Ag Extension site for a pic. I try to catch them before they pod and just pull them. They are easy to pull. I haven't tried any Rememdy on them as mine are under control right now. Soda apples are another problem I have been fighting. Seems my neighbor brought them in with some cows he bought. I now lease the pasture and have the SA's under control.

Latest posts