Name that Weed (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Picture1248.jpg

Does anyone know what this weed is? It has yellow flowers later in the summer and best i can recall they look kind of like a peanut flower maybe? Hint: its not a mimosa or a cypress tree. lol.

uh, that must be a Georgia weed. In some parts up here people might try to put a deer stand in it or something. It looks kinda scary :)

Jessica

whatever, thats just a tiny one! they get taller than me and i'm 6'2. (no, its not a fern..)

Dig it up, pot it in a nice container, slip it into the stock at a local nursery, and see what city-dweller buys it to plant in their yard.

Do you really not know what it is? Does it grow in the woods or on the outskirts of a pasture? Is it bushoggable when it's big?

well they showed up in two fallow fields that we are letting the bermuda take over and they tend to grow in the really wet areas. i also noticed some in another really wet area under an oak tree that the cows congregate under each day. i think they would be easiest to spray or maybe pull up. there arent that many of htem yet but the population has increased enough since last year for me to safely lable them as "weed". since they cows dont eat them i assume they are poisonous since they dont have anything prickly on them to keep them from being eaten.

Beefy,

your weed looks similar to what we call sennabeans. i'm not sure it's the same thing because the sennabeans don't tend to grow that thick that quickly around here. maybe something in the same family?

here's a link to a site with a pic (you can click on the pic to enlarge):

http://texnat.tamu.edu/CMPLANTS/toxic/p ... abean.html

To me it almost looks like a baby locust, but they're not an annual and the flowers on the ones up here are kind of a cream color.

dun

dun":3hz8es1e said:
To me it almost looks like a baby locust, but they're not an annual and the flowers on the ones up here are kind of a cream color.

dun

We call 'em Sennabeans here too! Kinda reminds you of a Coffeeweed.

MikeC":2u2fopzo said:
dun":2u2fopzo said:

dun

Finally, a weed that is a curse to others that we don;t have!

dun

Looks like what we call "sennabeans" too. You'll see the bean pods later on in the season. Almost always found in wet, low lying areas such as seasonal ponds. Good for absolutely nothing, except that the best dove hunting I've ever had has been in half dried up ranch tanks (ponds) where the sennabeans have grown up around the edges. Hide amongst the sennabeans and when the doves come in for water in the late afternoon you can take pretty easy limits. There's just nothing like a classic "tank shoot".

txag,
thats not quite it i dont think but close enough. same family i'm sure. if memory serves it has a very very long bean.definitely a legume. it does sort of remind me of a coffee weed now that i think about it.

Arnold Ziffle":33uuzrhk said:
Looks like what we call "sennabeans" too. You'll see the bean pods later on in the season. Almost always found in wet, low lying areas such as seasonal ponds. Good for absolutely nothing, except that the best dove hunting I've ever had has been in half dried up ranch tanks (ponds) where the sennabeans have grown up around the edges. Hide amongst the sennabeans and when the doves come in for water in the late afternoon you can take pretty easy limits. There's just nothing like a classic "tank shoot".

Man, I can relate to that. Only seven weeks to go.

Of course the doves aren't nearly what they used to be around these parts.

Beefy - If it grows in areas that hold moisture I'd say sennabean as well. We also call them rattleweed for the sound the seeds make in the pods.

We call them coffee beans around here. The cows will eradicate them pretty quick if you graze your pastures close. My cows have eaten hundreds of them with no ill effects. In the soybean fields a light dose of flexstar or blazer will kick 'em in the butt in a hurry.

JB

Beefy":mrh9d1io said:
i call them "eradicated?"

So far they haven't become enough of a problem to cause any heartburn. If they get in the way of the shredder I don't dodge 'em however.

Dun - I feel badly that you have thus far been deprived of sennabeans. Please forward me your address and I will try to ship you bag of seed.

dun":2tcs3dym said:
MikeC":2tcs3dym said:
dun":2tcs3dym said:

dun

Finally, a weed that is a curse to others that we don;t have!

dun

don't count your chickens before they hatch. you oughta be 'blessed' with them in about a week or so.

Carlos D.":3p5hyl88 said:
do you hunt doves down there-are you talking about those birds about the size of a pigeon -- and they nest in canada

mourning doves, whitewings and now we've Eurasian doves around town

season starts September 1st in this area

milesvb":3gh4s024 said:
Carlos D.":3gh4s024 said:
do you hunt doves down there-are you talking about those birds about the size of a pigeon -- and they nest in canada

mourning doves, whitewings and now we've Eurasian doves around town

season starts September 1st in this area

Are those Eurasian ones what we call ringnecks? Lots of them here too. I have noticed more doves nesting here this summer than ever.

The propogation of doves is probably a conspiricy of the shotshell manufacturers.

dun

Latest posts