(NAIS)

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
Here in North West Arkansas everytime you turn the radio on. You hear a broadcast about the National Animal Identification System. They are tring to get farmers/ranchers to register their premisies. They say right now it is a voluntary thing and does not cost anything. I mean they are running this broadcast during every commerical break and most news pappers that you buy has a application in it so that you can register and mail in your application.

They are tring to make it a point that if you dont go ahead and register it will cost you alot of money in the future when it is mandatory to register. Almost like a scare tatic to make people think that they might as well go ahead and regiseter to save themselves some money.

I think it is the USDA that is running these radio broadcast. But who ever it is. Has really turned up the heat just in the last few weeks. I was wondering if this is happening in any other areas ? I mean it has been talked about for along time now here in my area. But it has just now started being advertised every day.

I think that a premise will have to be registered in the near future to sell a commercial product; i.e. a feeder calf or a fat calf. I believe packers will demand that. If you can live on direct sales to consumers, I don;t think you need to register.

Stepper":1gsgbwo6 said:
They are tring to make it a point that if you dont go ahead and register it will cost you alot of money in the future when it is mandatory to register.

It may not save you money but before long it will cost you money to sell calves that aren;t age/source verified

dun

you can sell age and source verified cattle without a premise ID number. I hear radio ads several times a day to sign up your premise. There is no doubt individual states are turning it up a notch to get people to register. The USDA is offering them money to promote and push for NAIS.

Latest posts