Mysterious injuries

Help Support CattleToday:

Aliens or chupacabras 🤔. Seriously I don't know . Could be from rubbing on something ? Where are you located ? That might help our folks with an answer.

Aliens or chupacabras 🤔. Seriously I don't know . Could be from rubbing on something ? Where are you located ? That might help our folks with an answer.
We are in NE Oklahoma… she is the biggest cower have and thought maybe the bull injured her while trying to mount. This is the third year she has displayed these injuries. We are baffled! Too far north for chupacabras and no aliens around… lol

View attachment 36700
What is going on with this cow? She keeps letting these strange scrapes on her body…
There was another thread here with injuries like that, but maybe a little bigger, on a bull. Lot's of speculation about rubbing through brush, allergies, genetic stuff, etc. I don't believe the thread lasted long and I don't think there was ever an answer to the issue.

Nice cow, by the way.

There was another thread here with injuries like that, but maybe a little bigger, on a bull. Lot's of speculation about rubbing through brush, allergies, genetic stuff, etc. I don't believe the thread lasted long and I don't think there was ever an answer to the issue.

Nice cow, by the way.
Don't remember the title of the thread but I believe it was from @sunnyblueskies?

Are some of them partially healed? They look like they were made at different times, but maybe its just my eyes looking at pics on my phone. I've never heard of it happening, but could it be hoof marks from another cow being too rough while riding her when she's in heat? Just throwing out an idea, really have no idea.

Are some of them partially healed? They look like they were made at different times, but maybe its just my eyes looking at pics on my phone. I've never heard of it happening, but could it be hoof marks from another cow being too rough while riding her when she's in heat? Just throwing out an idea, really have no idea.
Yes, some are older and some fresh… a friend suggested it might be a form of cancer, I don't know. I think we'll add her to the next load going to sale.

Yes, some are older and some fresh… a friend suggested it might be a form of cancer, I don't know. I think we'll add her to the next load going to sale.
I'd be finding out what the issue is before sending the cow... If for no other reason that learning something. But I'd also never give up on that kind of cow unless there was more of a reason than those skin lesions.

She looks like she has some age on her. That might be a reason, but I'd still want to know what the lesions are from.

"Photosensitisation occurs either as a primary condition following ingestion of photodynamic agents or secondary to liver damage".
A lot of guessing, do you have a good relationship with your vet you could show a picture without having to bring it in or have them out?
Skin lesions like that are usually caused by an allergic reaction to something.

Don't remember the title of the thread but I believe it was from @sunnyblueskies?
Yeah might have been my thread. There was no definite answer to where the scrapes and lesions on my bull came from in the end. All speculation, even by the vet. They were not deep sores as they seem on the cow in the pictures here on this post.
We ivomeced him, sprayed the lesions with antibacterial spray and quarantined him for about a week, he hate, he drank, didn't loose weight or appear sick. Turned him back out with the rest of them. He healed over quite nicely, no infections or anything. It will remain a mystery.

We are in NE Oklahoma… she is the biggest cower have and thought maybe the bull injured her while trying to mount. This is the third year she has displayed these injuries. We are baffled! Too far north for chupacabras and no aliens around… lol
Third year? Does it go away and come back, or has she had these for 3 years non-stop?

Latest posts