Myrtlewood Slew 439

Help Support CattleToday:

THG":1bpfzn7g said:
I don't know anything about either animals.

THG

TY THG!

I guess I am barking up the wrong tree if you don't know Online 122L's great great grandfather on the paternal side.

HS You should have kept us hanging longer! I like to see how many smart people are out there.

HerefordSire":1bcz99e0 said:
THG":1bcz99e0 said:
I don't know anything about either animals.

THG

TY THG!

I guess I am barking up the wrong tree if you don't know Online 122L's great great grandfather on the paternal side.
Sorry Herefordsire, I am not as old as you. ;-)

He was BIG. Goes back to Justa Banner and I believe he is double bred that way. Last I knew his BW was manageable but his milk epd was slipping a bit.

The cows we had were milk wagons and could calve out an elephant unassisted. Cows are long bodied. Friend of ours still has a handful of Slew daughters that are being crossed with terminal club calf sires.

certherfbeef":1pfphqvx said:
He was BIG. Goes back to Justa Banner and I believe he is double bred that way. Last I knew his BW was manageable but his milk epd was slipping a bit.

The cows we had were milk wagons and could calve out an elephant unassisted. Cows are long bodied. Friend of ours still has a handful of Slew daughters that are being crossed with terminal club calf sires.

Thank-you for the information. Yes, he shows to be doubled by Justa Banner. I have big and long so will fit nicely. I like 'phants. What do you know about Justa Banner? Was he the king of the era?

HerefordSire":2xcby5w7 said:
certherfbeef":2xcby5w7 said:

Thank-you for the information. Yes, he shows to be doubled by Justa Banner. I have big and long so will fit nicely. I like 'phants. What do you know about Justa Banner? Was he the king of the era?

At one time justa 'bout every hereford had Justa Banner somewhere in the pedigree.

I think Justa Banner served a purpose at the time, but not sure he still has a role to play.

KNERSIE":2q1pvgr2 said:
HerefordSire":2q1pvgr2 said:
certherfbeef":2q1pvgr2 said:

At one time justa 'bout every hereford had Justa Banner somewhere in the pedigree.

I think Justa Banner served a purpose at the time, but not sure he still has a role to play.
Justa Banner I thought sired some nice females, some had a few sloppy udders, but if you got one that was not sloppy and a very powerful cow, you had something good. He was a darn big bull from what I have seen from pictures.

THG

THG":2yc0zrp2 said:
KNERSIE":2yc0zrp2 said:
HerefordSire":2yc0zrp2 said:
certherfbeef":2yc0zrp2 said:

Justa Banner I thought sired some nice females, some had a few sloppy udders, but if you got one that was not sloppy and a very powerful cow, you had something good. He was a darn big bull from what I have seen from pictures.
THG

Matt, I also thought that, but looked him up on Reed last night and was surprised that although he was big for the era, he was actually very moderate and in balance.

His full name is WSL PRL Justa Banner
wsfbanner.jpg

TY Knersie!

Slew was a common denominator in my ET calves hitting the ground. I was not considering his future use. I should have already asked these questions and not after the fact. I have always wondered about Slew and Justa Banner as they are widely used especially by Remitall.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3fxhy6vi said:
I have but one question. How many calves do yall hereford breeders have to pull a year? The birthweights scare me.

After talking with multiple breeders, I've come to the conclusion that most people do not have to assist that often. A cow shouldn't really have problems in my mind, unless the calf is postioned weird. We calved out a heifer to a 5.5 BW EPD bull and the calf was 78 lbs, unassisted, great vigor (I bought her bred). However, these show cattle with 6.0+ BW EPDs scare me too.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2fwxvo65 said:
I have but one question. How many calves do yall hereford breeders have to pull a year? The birthweights scare me.

I very seldom have to assist a heifer, I also use the same bulls on the heifers as the mature cows because I believe that a registered heifer should be able to handle a calf of breed average size or slightly above.

Only had to assist a cow once and that was with twins who entered the birth canal simultaneously.

I assist less than 5% of the heifers.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2c3sehmu said:

I will avoid a 5.5 to 6 plus BW bull, that kind of BW will lose me every time. The bull I used for the last few years had a 4.3 bw epd and I have only had to pull one calf from a heifer last year, but it came backwards and was 105lbs. Most of his calves ran 80 to 85lbs.

Alan

Angus heifers have caused me trouble 3 out of 4 times. They were bred to Angus bulls with birth weight epd's between 1 and 3. Very seldom do I have any problems with the Hereford heifers. It seems to me that Angus cattle must have a very low birthwieght calf inorder to produce one at 23-24 months of age. No wonder the Angus association pushes their bulls so much.

Latest posts