My worst hunting day EVER

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Today I had one of the worst scenarios happen to me. I had been having some issues with the neighbors kid that has been putting treestands on my grandmothers property as well as putting tree stands on there. I talked to the parents and told him hes tearing my posted signs down and coming on our land riding his atv as well he is 17 and can read. Today he went too far I do not hunt there much and decided to take a few guys and hunt well i was in the woods dogs jumped and were running towards me well i hear deer coming then i hear a shot and whizzing going past me and realize someone is in there that shouldn't be and sent my blood boiling i went down there with my shotgun and handgun at my side and come up on the kid and his friend and the doe he killed and my first instinct was beat the dog shyt out the boy. I had my guys come there thinking i killed the deer and found those ah's i was in shock that I ALMOST GOT SHOT OVER A DOE. We had some words and the little shyt told me i cant stop him. I take my kids with me and my friends do as well. There will be no more talking I called the game warden tonight and hes getting a trespass ticket.

Thats a tough situation to deal with. I've never had a serious trespass issue. Just a few, but one sticks in my mind. It was 1998 and we were still building our home we live in now. Our land borders NFS and so alot of folks had previously used my land for hunting, which I did not mind. I was working alone that day and heard a few shots. It was obvious somebody was target practicing or sighting in a gun just before deer season. I paid little attention until a projectile went wizzing through my house. It took me about 30 minutes to walk the 1/4 mile semi-circle to get up behind them. I leaned up against there truck, lever action rifle in hand, and stood there watching them shoot at an oil jug. For 5 minutes they didn't know I was there, 20 yards behind them. When they finally noticed me they were pissed that I was there. After I told them they were on private property, and that they were shooting in the direction of my house, shot a hole through my house, almost got me, they calmed down and apologized. I ask them to pick up their trash and never come back uninvited. They actually picked up more trash than they brought. And I got a call a couple days later with a sincere apology. They meant no disrespect, and I truly believe they did not know they were on private land. At that time, NFS signs were sparse and I did not have fence on that part.

I guess my point was, is that sometimes how a person approaches another can have a big impact on how the initial reaction to one another is. After a few words things settled rapidly. Our actions/reactions are something we can control, and that often determines the outcome. Doesn't change a dam thing about the trespass issue, but might prevent future problems

That sucks glad you are ok and here to talk about it. With all the land we own I had an forestry mower cut a road around all the borders and have posted signs almost every 50 feet not to mention I had the discussion before and before someone gets hurt or killed I want to nip this problem in the bud ya know. If it were a mistake I would understand but clearly marked property no mistake and maybe his parents need a lil financial burden to help them remember tell you son to read and stay off my property. I don't hunt there much but when I do I don't want anyone getting hurt had he not been an butthead and said do you mind I hunt your property I would say no problem wrote a permission slip gave combination to the gates and told him to call or text me so I know where you're at and when you are there. Being a butthead no way.

Ouachita here is a pic of how it looks around all our land so there is no mistaken where property line is ... It was too wet to walk to picture the signs.

King there is a swamp on our place that holds some but i don't duck hunt my grandpa used to lease the swamp to some duck hunters that said there were some there. Do you duck hunt? That road is typically dry unless we get ton of rain and doesn't hold water all the time I've seen geese there no ducks.