My Two Boys

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand":2itxahph said:
My friends and I always say it doesnt take brains to do well and just cause you have brains doesnt mean you will do well. Everything in life is about work ethic. AT&T just made a new provision that you need a masters to be an Executive Director or higher. That was because for years their VP's and Executive Directors had no such official education.

Ah but lets not forget the Henry Ford law suit. "I can hire people to do what you do..."

You should be proud.
I've ran off 4 farmhands this past year that were between the ages of 30 to 50 that just wanted a place to stay. No drive what so ever. It's pretty sad when you think about a 50 year old man that only owns a mattress and a small TV.

My son has been welding since he was 10 , he never cared much for farm work but whenever I had work in the shop he was there and did most of it. He went to school for industrial electronics, today he is maintaince manager of a plant that makes plastic bottles , he never had any formal mechanical training, he got that from working in the shop here on the farm , sometimes that kind of experience is better than schooling. Your boys will do good with their welder.

I feel the same about TAKS, which is the Texas version of that test. What is more, it has taken away art, music and recess from the curriculum. No recess, can you imagine that when you were a kid?

Now everyone is concerned that the kids are getting fat. Gee, I wonder if there is some sort of connection there....?

I have to administer TAKS to two of my students who are in the severe/profound range of mental retardation! They can't read or do simple math, but they have to take the TAKS ALT. I have to fight those students to write their names correclty, or do a six piece puzzle, and they have to take the TAKS!

Lammie":2eo65vng said:
I have to administer TAKS to two of my students who are in the severe/profound range of mental retardation! They can't read or do simple math, but they have to take the TAKS ALT. I have to fight those students to write their names correclty, or do a six piece puzzle, and they have to take the TAKS!
A few years back, we had a similar student. He had a full-time aide and could walk, grunt, and drool. The aide would lead him down the hall and point to our attendance sheets clipped on the door. He would rip them off and then she had to wrestle them from him. He had to take the test. :roll:

ffamom":g13xj67g said:
It sad that I didn't have faith in my boys. Sometime I tend to see their flaws more than I see their qualities. Where we live, if you are not in the top 20 at your high school, then you probably will not worth anything as an adult. I was beginning to believe that too.

I think as parents we have a hard time thinking that the child that we have to tell to pick up their clothes or clean their room will some day take over this world and run it better than we have .

Larry

larryshoat":1ffwmt8v said:
ffamom":1ffwmt8v said:
It sad that I didn't have faith in my boys. Sometime I tend to see their flaws more than I see their qualities. Where we live, if you are not in the top 20 at your high school, then you probably will not worth anything as an adult. I was beginning to believe that too.

I think as parents we have a hard time thinking that the child that we have to tell to pick up their clothes or clean their room will some day take over this world and run it better than we have .

Larry

I think my older one is getting more responsible in spite of himself. He even rinsed out his dishes when he was done this time around. I think that's a young lady's influence, though.

Whatever works...

fit2btied":3rfqwwp8 said:
Lammie":3rfqwwp8 said:
A few years back, we had a similar student. He had a full-time aide and could walk, grunt, and drool. The aide would lead him down the hall and point to our attendance sheets clipped on the door. He would rip them off and then she had to wrestle them from him. He had to take the test. :roll:

Yep, those are my students. No quite that bad, but not a lot better. No droolers.

And the thing is, I know that those students have the right to go to school like every other kid. If for nothing else but to give their parents a break.

Ironic thing is that we, as a school, and I suspect as a state, fail to assist parents in transitioning those kids out of school, be it to some sort of training situation or to a group home or whatever. It is state law, too, but we don't. I have seen several kids graduate and fall through the cracks. Sometimes it is because parents are lazy and sometimes it is because no one had made parents aware of that is out there.

I used to attend transition meetings when I worked for MHMR, but I don't see anyone from the agency at those meetings now, since I started working at a school. I don't think anyone is interested it them. We have a hard time getting parents to attend. It is sad.

Oh, and my students can attend school till they are 22. Makes you feel all warm inside knowing that you will have some of those kids for eight years. Geez!

Latest posts