my steer is paralyzed

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200

Reaction score
Well i bought a wmw steer around november last year and didn't have any problem until about 3 months ago when we got his hooves trimmed he was almost crippled couldn't hardly walk and almost stopped eating but after a few weeks he was walking better problem solved, that is until last week i went out to feed him around 4 and found him in the back of the pasture and he couldn't get up. Long story short we ending up getting hip slings and picking him up but his legs where dead couldn't feel a darn thing. My question is though could it be from who made who/ i know he has head crippled calves but doing some research of my own normally his calves have front end problems not back. Opinions are appreciated

May not have anything to do with the sire of the calf. Might just be an accident. He could have slipped and broke his back. Another animal could have tried to ride him and knocked him down and broke his back.

Well, I dont know what could be wrong. Listen to Tori, she knows alot and has experience.
Good Luck getting him back to normal.
d6cattleman

well we couldn't get him up so we had to slaughter him. We dtayed and watched because we wanted to check his spinal cord and back and there was nothing wrong so i don't really know what is could have been?

It sounds like a condition called spastic paresis to me. You run into it in some of the club calf genetics. It is fairly common. It is a genetic condition, but apparently it is not simple dominant/recessive and is hard to predict when it shows up.

Basically, you have a calf that is going along doing fine and then starts to lose control of his back legs. They go through a stage where they kind of swing the back legs. It also makes them look like their back is hurt.

It can affect very small calves or not show up until they are larger. Do a search on the internet and you can find out more about it. There isn't anything that can be done for an animal that has it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3t0i8wzk said:
Johnes Disease is a very SLOW killer. Cattle have great appetite, but continue to lose weight & have extremely watery stool. Can't imagine this is the reason.

I agree. I don't see how it could be Johnes. They continue to eat normally, but don't absorb the nutrients from the feed.

I'm sorry about your steer. It's hard to lose one.

well i didn't know that Johnes was a slow killer. i just knew it broke a calf down so they couldn't stand. Thank you for bringing that to my attention(i learn a new thing every day!! or at least i try)

Latest posts