My son's first turkey hunt this year.

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth, I hunt the same way. I feel the rush when he's hot and gobbling every time I hit the call. My mouth gets so dry I can't call sometimes.

I'm getting old or soft, maybe both.

Like I said it's been a pretty quiet season here. Mostly due to the weather but also because our turkey numbers are down after a couple of bad hatch years. Well I finally got on a hot one this morning. I got on him early. Before I could call to him a hen behind me cackled. I was between them so I clucked to him a couple of times. He gobbled and then just a couple of minutes later he flew out. It looked like he was going to fly all the way to the hen but just after he passed me he turned and landed about 40 yards from me. I couldn't see him but I could hear him drumming. I clucked a couple more times and he come out in a half strut. He walked up to about 20 yards and started strutting. Nothing between me and him but the end of my gun barrel. He was standing in that green area just to the left of thos 3 tree's in front of my gun in the picture. He was a big boy and beautiful. He got to looking for the hen that had cluck and was supposed to be standing there waiting on him. He couldn't find her and he come out of strut. I knew the gig was about up. It was time for me to take care of business. But I couldn't do it. I let him walk off. He went down to the right of my gun and got out of my sight and gobbled. I called and could hear him drumming. In about 15 minutes I seen him again. He was looking for me again. This time he left and went about 150 yards and started gobbling again. I went to and fooled with him some morw but never saw him again.

I let plenty of non gobbling gobblers go but not a hot one before. It felt good and I know where I'll be in the morning.

I don't know if this will work or not, it's the first time I've tried a video.

New phone doesn't take nearly as good of video's as the old one. But you can tell that they know they have a few more days left until season opens. My 4 year old was playing in the creek bottom off to my right.

About an hour before on another place, saw 5 jakes and 3 hens. For her to get a good look, I called them a little. With us just standing behind the fence embankment, they came within about 20 feet before she couldn't hold still any longer.

Looks like you can upload from a phone. Because of data, I put them on my computer through the USB port and then load them wherever from there.

I have a weird work schedule, I put in a bunch of hours in a few days and then am off for an extended period. I might be up at any time during that period. Rough, but the many days off is sure nice.

Latest posts