My Purple Eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

They really are, Sky. We won't eat a store bought one after these. I can't tell you why, but those Marans are the best ones for baking.

slick4591":i917mgse said:
They really are, Sky. We won't eat a store bought one after these. I can't tell you why, but those Marans are the best ones for baking.

I have no idea what kind of chicken to get for eggs I do like nice and rich eggs but wonder if they sell marans around here that's the first time I ever heard that name. What size egg would you say they lay compared to like store bought egg sizes?

Most of mine would grade xlarge. You can order most breeds thru a hatchery. Marans are considered dual purpose and lay 3-4 times a week. They are also great tasting but not the greatest meat bird there is.

slick4591":bmpkpvj5 said:
Most of mine would grade xlarge. You can order most breeds thru a hatchery. Marans are considered dual purpose and lay 3-4 times a week. They are also great tasting but not the greatest meat bird there is.

Can you recommend a place to order from? I wouldn't eat them unless they stopped laying then they are fair game lol.

Those are really cool purple eggs! We also have laying hens, but no Marans. I may just have to get some, my grand kids would get a big kick out of that color! :)

Sky- I'll. Get back to you tomorrow on a hatchery.

Marans normally lay a dark egg. There one in the picture. The purple ones seldom happen so its not something one can expect. I may never get another.

slick4591":1j228owa said:
Sky- I'll. Get back to you tomorrow on a hatchery.

Marans normally lay a dark egg. There one in the picture. The purple ones seldom happen so its not something one can expect. I may never get another.

thank you much

The purple color is cool! Welsummers are another breed that lays a real dark shelled egg.

The best hatchery is generally the closest one to you. The less time in shipping the better start your chicks will get.

I can't remember the last time I had to buy eggs at the store. They are very unappetizing once you get used to really fresh eggs and the darker, richer yolks. The richness of the egg yolk is more about the diet than the breed. Free ranging chickens have the best yolk color and flavor eggs. I just try not to think about the hens scratching thru cow pies looking for goodies when I eat the eggs.

MO_cows":27jddbq0 said:
snip...
I just try not to think about the hens scratching thru cow pies looking for goodies when I eat the eggs.

Quoting my neighbor that doesn't eat eggs,"You eat something that comes out of a chicken's ass and are worried about what they eat!"

Then hen sure is unique! We have had Cuckoo Marans for about 6 years. We have always gotten chocolate eggs, but the eggs tend to lighten in color as the hens' age increases. Once they hit 3 years, the eggs aren't much darker than an Orpington's. The Marans are good layers.

Backbone Ranch":1xcmh43b said:
Then hen sure is unique! We have had Cuckoo Marans for about 6 years. We have always gotten chocolate eggs, but the eggs tend to lighten in color as the hens' age increases. Once they hit 3 years, the eggs aren't much darker than an Orpington's. The Marans are good layers.

My Marans are an active project to see how dark of an egg I can get. I ordered a rooster from a really dark egg line and bred to my original hens. I'm breeding pullets back to him and will continue to do so for five generation when I should be getting my darkest eggs. I have second generation pullets now. My pullets are Blue Copper and Splash Copper being bred to a Blue Copper rooster.