My new Murray Grey herd

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
Finally got my herd of Murray Greys started in Georgia. More coming next week, and will have 19 total by March.

Here's the current herd:

Herd.jpg

Here are the first three heifers:

Heifers.jpg

Pretty babies!---and they look like they have their
winter coats on! Hope you are getting some rain
out of the weather system that is crossing the usa.

they look real nice. where abouts are you located? you may be on to something if them murrays really are all that and a bag of chips.
not many in georgia, yet.

Thanks Beefy, TX and OK Jeanne. Special thanks to OK Jeanne for supplying two bred back beauties :)

Beefy, I'm in Elberton, near Athens. I think MG's are perfect for this environment, at least for my needs. You're right, though, haven't found anyone in GA with them, so I'm the guinea pig I reckon.

They look like a solid bunch. What are your goals/plans with them?

Good, solid and blocky heifers! Good genetics in places where they are important - Top lines, hindquarters, legs and feet, depth of body. Now, with a long term management program in place, you should be rolling in clover for a future herd that will make you PROFIT and success in breeding cattle!

Congratulations.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks so much Doc!

CPL, we have two goals:

1. to create a long-term, continually improving herd of MG cattle that thrive on grass in Georgia conditions and to maximize the potential of the characteristics that the MG breed is known for; and,

2. to produce, market and sell high-quality grass fed beef (and other products) directly to customers in and around the Atlanta area.

The calfs that don't move the herd forward consistent with goal #1 will be used to fulfill the need for goal #2.

Nature's Harmony Farm

It looks to me that a Murry Gray is a Charolais/Angus cross. I am not aware of what these murry gray cattle are bred up from. Maybe some one could explain.

Wick":3vgom5wy said:
It looks to me that a Murry Gray is a Charolais/Angus cross. I am not aware of what these murry gray cattle are bred up from. Maybe some one could explain.
Angus X Shorthorn
Go to the top click on "cattle today" , On left side you will find a list of topics. Scroll down to breeds and click on it. Go to Murry Gray.

Wick":he3w1spa said:

Here's a short history, but for the full story, go to the
website of the founder of the breed--address shown
below, and click on the "history" button to the left:
-------------------------

The Murray Grey breed of cattle began in Australia along the Murray River in New South Wales. In 1905, on the property of Peter and Eva Sutherland a light roan shorthorn cow, when bred to various Aberdeen Angus bulls produced only grey calves. She had produced twelve of them by 1917, which were the origin of this breed. The herd was sold to Helen Sutherland in 1929, who started a systematic breeding program.

Mervyn Gadd started a second Murray Grey herd in the early 1940s as a commercial venture, using a Grey bull from the Sutherlands and breeding up from Angus cows. Butchers began to pay a premium price for the Greys because of their consistent high cutability and less waste. Murray Greys began to win carcass competitions in the early 70's and have continued to dominate the steer and carcass classes at the Royal shows in Australia. Murray Greys are one of the two preferred breeds for importation to Japan, due to their easy fleshing and high quality meat production. The Murrays have also started to win carcass competitions at the Calgary Stampede in Canada.

Greys and their crosses can be found producing in Canada, and South America; in the United States, they can be found in the Western areas, in the Corn Belt, the Plains from north to south, and in the hot climates of the deep south. They are, of course, a major breed in Australia and New Zealand, and Murray Greys are presently being introduced in various areas of Africa. For a comprehensive history of the breed, please visit the website of one of our members, Murray Sutherland, who is the son of the founder of the breed: http://www.michaelong.com.au

~

What a fabulous early Christmas present for yourself~!!!

CONGRATULATIONS~!

You naming them ?

I got some suggestions:

Java for the dark one on the left side, first photo.

Champagne for the one on the far right, in the first photo

CowCop,

Great names but, unfortunately they came already named. And I don't want to confuse them!

TNMasterBeefProducer":387esedx said:
Aint no market for grass fed beef in the south. I checked into it noone round cheer wants grass fed beef.

Interesting. I have customers waiting and don't even have product yet.

The birth weights on the ones you're looking at ranged from 67-95, with most less than 80. The 205 day weights ranged from 577 to 640, with most just over 600.

OK Jeanne can talk more about broader experiences with MG's.

Saw yours in a pen when I went to pick mine up... congratulations! We're trying to work our way up to about 10 good mommas but are taking it a little slower...as we want to break each one (will make it easier for handling). Good luck with your herd!! They're beautiful.

Latest posts