My First Calving Season is Almost Over

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
A newbie with eight heifers, all bred to calve between 2/1 and 2/15.

First heifer decides to calve six weeks early. Had to pull the calf. Pretty little heifer calf but stillborn. I had experienced help so I just watched the pull. 0 for 1. I'm going to give her another chance, she bred back two days ago.

Second heifer tries to calve right on her due date. Obviously in labor, never did push. After a couple of hours I put her in the headgate and gloved up for the first time. Reached in up to my shoulder but all I could find was a tail. Couldn't reach anything to grab hold of or turn. Knew I was in trouble so I called my vet. He had a broken finger and couldn't help. Called vet in neighboring county but he was gone to work the auction that day. Finally remembered a local fellow who worked with cattle and was about 6'5" with long arms. I drove to his place and agreed to give it a try. Took him about 1/2 hour to finally get hold of leg and pulled it out. Dead calf, of course, but live cow. 0 for 2 and now I'm really questioning everything, my bull, my self, my grass. Stayed in the field till 1:00 AM checking the remaining girls by flashlight.

Came back at daylight the next morning and had one up and walking about. Huge relief. 1 for 3. Nice little bull calf.

Another late night, back at daylight. (I took my vacation days to be there.) Midmorning notice one goes off by herself. I waited to give her time to settle in then sneaked up and watched through binoculars. Up and down, push then stop for about an hour. By now I'm pretty gunshy so I go get someone to help and I get ready to glove up. She is laying down and has the hooves showing when I get back so I stay back and wait. She does it easily on her own and I'm now 2 for 4 and feeling much better. I spend the rest of the day watching and wondering just when is right time to assist.

Two days later when I show up at daylight, my boss cow has a nice little heifer already up and nursing. 3 for 5. I'm finally better than 50-50.

Vacation days are over. I drive up to check them at daylight then go on to work. Drive back at lunch and notice a heifer eating at the hayring with hooves sticking out. I jump into the truck and drive out to the main road where my cell phone works and call in to tell them I'll be late getting back to work. Get back to the field and decide since she's putting more effort into eating than calving I may have a problem. I get the rest of the herd out of the way and go back to get her and she is laying down and working. Took about a half hour but she did it on her own. 4 for 6.

I still have two to go. One looks to me to be a few days away, the other has never bagged up and looks just like she did last summer. I think she is open and is only growing wheels. I never liked her anyway.

I realize this is a long post but thought the other newbies might benefit from it.

cowboyup216":2qgpa0th said:
What kind of bull are these bred to?

Some sort of 2 yr old Angus X. I bought him from a friend who used him on heifers last season and I saw all the calves, even boarded a few of them and their mamas when he had fence problems on a lease. Only one pull, no losses, and no calves bigger than around 65-70 lbs. Those calves are about 6-8 mos. old now and look really good. I thought he was a pretty safe bet and the calves that I have now have not given me any reason to think otherwise. Right now I plan to use him one more time and then move on to a better one. I already have had a couple of inquiries from people interest in buying him.

One thing of interest about the bull. Although he is black, his calves, including mine, tend to be a various shades of chocolate color and turning black as they get older. Limo influence? Also, he had horns at one time.

Hasbeen":2tu5n5r7 said:
One thing of interest about the bull. Although he is black, his calves, including mine, tend to be a various shades of chocolate color and turning black as they get older. Limo influence? Also, he had horns at one time.
sounds like you was having unusual bad luck with the 1st 2 heifers that calved.but sometimes thats the way it goes.the great thing is you have 5 healthy live calves.

Hasbeen - I have been waiting patiently for your post-calving post. I am really glad for you things turned around... you had one heck of a start! Good luck with the remaining 2. Please keep us updated!

Just a side note, I will be printing this post for my husband to read, as he is convinced no body else has had the amount of problems we have. I just tell him that maybe others are not as open about things as we are. So I appreciate your honesty, as well as most peoples on this board.

Again Good luck! And remember me in May when I have 13 heifers to calve. Take care!

Michele

Mitchwi, thanks for your comments and well wishes. I look forward to reading your posts in May. I hope all goes well for you.

I just got back from my lunchtime check and I think I may get this thing over with today. The last heifer I'm expecting to calve had separated herself from the herd and was laying down on the hillside on the other side of the creek. This worried me since we had a little rain last night and the creek is a little higher than normal so I coaxed her back across and into the corral. Problem is most of the others came with her including some of the new mamas. I couldn't close them off from their calves and didn't have time to sort them out so I just left the gate open and am hoping she won't want to make the effort to cross the creek again. Anyway, if she can hold on another two hours, I'll hustle back up after work and keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it. Sure wish we were close to being done.
The only people who say they don't have problems are typically liars. Of course good years do happen. I remember fondly our year of having 100% alive and on top of that a set of twins so really it was 102%. That lasted a month until one of the twins died. :( Other years I don't remember that fondly though. The year we bought some bred heifers that were supposedly bred Angus but if so it was the biggest, hardest calving Angus ever born. We pulled nearly half of them, had a couple heifers who wouldn't take the calves, had a paralyzed one, and a prolapse. It was the ugliest experience.

cowboyup216":56hx216l said:
Well angus are and always have been polled. I would say that he is limo black limo.

That's not true unless the bull is purebred.

I used to use Non-registered bulls for years and half of my calves had horns and they were black Angus

Thanks for your post. I'm new to cattle too, it's good to hear of your experiences. I'm glad your luck has changed. This year I just have bred cows, but next year, I'll have 3 heifers in the mix. I've had 3 born in the last week, one ready to go at anytime, and 2 who look like it will be in March.

Jill

Farmerjohn, it seems like your "angus bull" wasn't all angus. Straightbred angus cannot throw horns as they are homozygous polled and the polled gene is dominant.

Just one more reason to buy registered bulls and support the seedstock producers.

Well, here it is three days later and I'm still waiting on the last one. She was, at my lunchtime check , off by herself again but she's done that several times in the past three days and has always come back.

Here's what I've figured out on how to tell when a cow is going to calve. After carefully searching this site for over a year and reading up on everyone's opinions and studying the links provided, guaging the cow's bag, hips, right side, mucous plug, tail head, restlessness, vulva, and studying the gestation table, I have concluded she will deliver whenever she is darn well ready and not a moment sooner. :roll: :idea:

Even if you don't start giving out advice there is still a lot to be learned by all of us if you continue to share your experiences with us. No one person in the cattle business has seen it all.

We only had one calve so far and she was bought bred...our season doesn't start until the 4th.
Just curious...was the rebreding of your first heifer intentional?
We usually wait for at least 45 days to let the gals get back into shape and we can tighten up next years calving season if we need to.
Dmc

Susie David":2nrzxb2n said:
Just curious...was the rebreding of your first heifer intentional?
We usually wait for at least 45 days to let the gals get back into shape and we can tighten up next years calving season if we need to.
Dmc

That heifer is the one who tried to calve early. It's actually been closer to 60+ days since we pulled the calf. She looks to be in real good condition although I actually would have preferred to keep her in sequence with the others. This time of year with my situation on moving hay, I really can't separate the bull from the rest of the herd.

Can someone give me some tips? I've posted three pictures I like in the photo gallery but I can't seem to get them tranferred into a post here. I followed the instructions in the Beginners Forum, but obviously I'm doing something wrong.