My Brahman Heifer Has Front Tender hoofves

Help Support CattleToday:

wendell38

Reaction score
Hi and new to the board.
One of my brahman girls has tender hoofves, started on the right front only, Now it looks like the back as well.Maybe.
We have had a bit of rain and been a bit bogger,about 2weeks ago, dry now and hard. But that has never affected them before in the hoofves. Even though she is eating Grain and barley hay, and pasture. She looks now like she has lost weight. I watch her to make sure she is eating.
Any ideas prior to ringing the vet.
This started a week ago.

You may have foot rot started. We had a problem with it this year in one brahman heifer-we have had a wet year too There is a vaccine available, but she may need antibioitics. I used both-used Naxcel for antibiotic, some banamine for pain, and the vaccine. You may want to call your vet too.

Nuflor and/or LA200 work well for hoof rot. I had a young bull with it and that cleared it up real quick. I also like to put Koppertox on the hooves as well. Just be careful with the Koppertox, it will stain anything it touches for a good while.

Ryan

wendell38":ju91f7gv said:
Hi and new to the board.
One of my brahman girls has tender hoofves, started on the right front only, Now it looks like the back as well.Maybe.
We have had a bit of rain and been a bit bogger,about 2weeks ago, dry now and hard. But that has never affected them before in the hoofves. Even though she is eating Grain and barley hay, and pasture. She looks now like she has lost weight. I watch her to make sure she is eating.
Any ideas prior to ringing the vet.
This started a week ago.

How much grain, and how much barley hay? Are you sure she is not foundering?