Muzzleloaders

Help Support CattleToday:

Start out with about 80 grains of Blackhorn.
You will also get as many or more shots than a pound of Black out of that 10 oz can.
By blackpowder volume 80 grains weighed = 56 grains of Blackhorn weighed.
That is why you always measure with a Black Powder Volumetric Measure only.

Caustic Burno":3swr3qu1 said:
You will also get as many or more shots than a pound of Black out of that 10 oz can.

Good to know about the actual weight difference. That's what I shot it with yesterday 80 grains of Blackhorn and a 295 powerbelt. Went well! I like how easy the powerbelts just slide right down the barrel. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that thing!!! Bad enough on my end :D After shooting it I see why 100 grains of Blackhorn is probably enough. I just shot at a prairie dog mound about 150 yards away and I hit it.

Ned Jr.":1v4rn2h2 said:
Caustic Burno":1v4rn2h2 said:

Good to know about the actual weight difference. That's what I shot it with yesterday 80 grains of Blackhorn and a 295 powerbelt. Went well! I like how easy the powerbelts just slide right down the barrel. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that thing!!! Bad enough on my end :D After shooting it I see why 100 grains of Blackhorn is probably enough. I just shot at a prairie dog mound about 150 yards away and I hit it.

Ah Grasshopper you are learning more is not always better.
I carry three extra speed loaders with me in season.
I usually tote two rifles or rifle shotgun combo.
This girl here is real mean out to fifty steps with a load of double aught.

imagejpg1_zps35676a20.jpg

This is the 54 caliber I've hunted with in the past. I have got a couple small six point bull elk and a antelope with it. I was told it's supposed to be the closest replica of the old Santa Fe there is. It's made my A.Uberti & C. Gardoney T from Italy. The ol boy that I bought it from said he won a lot of mountain man shooting competitions with it. He had a whole closet full of muzzleloaders. I asked him if he even owned a regular rifle. He reached way back in the closet and pulled out one old dusty center fire rifle. I think it had rings but no scope. He hunted everything with muzzleloaders. This muzzleloading elk tag took me years to draw so I'd like to feel as confident in my gun as possible. I feel real good about what I have now. I really thank Caustic and everyone else for all the help and advice. Hopefully I can post some results in a little over a month.

Latest posts