Muzzleloaders

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":371rtvqp said:
Ned not to hijack your thead but we went to a wedding up at the Pines Ranch today and your valley shore does look purty.

I love that valley on a good year the grass is at the top of the fence posts and 6 months later the snow is at the top of the fenceposts.

I will need to buy some hay so let me know what it's going for down there this year.

It's really nice here now. I went to the ranch rodeo last night and it was a cool night with a light jacket on. We've had about 4 1/2 inches of rain this week. Had close to 2 1/2 in last Sunday night. Water was running everywhere Monday morning.

We have a lot of hay. Now if it would let us put it up someday. We don't know for sure where the price will land yet but sounds like $8.00 a small bale or around $240 a ton.

ousoonerfan22":22k912k0 said:
Caustic Burno":22k912k0 said:
M5farm":22k912k0 said:
I like the CVA guns. Caustic will be slobbering all over this thread and he is a expert on Muzzle loaders.
I am not slobbering to set the record straight.

My first choice would be my Knight inline for elk.

I shoot a couple of CVA Wolf's get some Blackhorn 209 powder and you can find a load that will drive tacks
shot after shot. Your most accurate load will most likely be in 90 to 100 grain volume range.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf

You didn't mention what bullet your Wolf's like?
You're right about less powder I tried 3 50 gr pellets and my Wolf wouldn't group at all so dropped down to 2 pellets and it's ok but no tack driver. I've tried several bullets.
Have any of you tried the pointed lead bullets I think the brand was Dead On or Dead Center? They look like a boattail bullet but they're lead and they use the plastic cup like a sabot. My gun shot those decent but I might try that powder CB mentioned.

Check this out.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/

My blackpowder shot guns all I shoot is.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/p ... ackmz.aspx
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... st-review/

Neither pellets or sabots are allowed in Colorado
[/quote]

I believe we can use Powerbelts though...???[/quote]

yes

Well I ordered the CVA I posted the link to.

Caustic, I always just used black powder before and was thinking about using Pyrodex in this new gun but the Blackhorn 209 looks like it's probably a better way to go. Thanks for bringing that up!

I think I'll try the Powerebelts. I suppose I should try a few different gr and see what it likes but what gr range would everyone recommend for elk?

When I was reading about the pellets I read how people were loading with 150 gr of powder. that seemed like an awful lot to me. I think 120 is the most I'll try. Opinions???

Ned Jr.":vfclrbeq said:
Well I ordered the CVA I posted the link to.

Caustic, I always just used black powder before and was thinking about using Pyrodex in this new gun but the Blackhorn 209 looks like it's probably a better way to go. Thanks for bringing that up!

I think I'll try the Powerebelts. I suppose I should try a few different gr and see what it likes but what gr range would everyone recommend for elk?

When I was reading about the pellets I read how people were loading with 150 gr of powder. that seemed like an awful lot to me. I think 120 is the most I'll try. Opinions???

100 grains Blackhorn is a pretty stout load, go back and read the load data.

Well it seems like nothings easy nowadays. And I probably make things harder than they should be.

I ordered the CVA I posted the link to. When I got it I realized it didn't have the thumbhole stock I wanted and thought I had ordered. The last couple guns I've bought have are thumbholes and I really like them. I emailed CVA to let them know their website was deceiving because the gun I ordered had a picture of a thumbhole stock. I just wanted to let them know it messed me up so it wouldn't happen to the next guy. They immediately change the photo, emailed me back and then called. They said they'd get the one I wanted in the mail. I'm really pleased with their service!

Then the Blackhorn 209 powder. Yesterday I drove to Bass pro shop, Cabalas, Sportsman's warehouse and a few other places and came up empty. I came home and ordered some online. I hope to get it before season starts.

I read were I needed the different breech plug on my CVA if I shoot Blackhorn 209 or any loose powder so I got one of those ordered.

I've read several places they recommend using CCI 209M "magnum" primers with Blackhorn 209. I have looked hard for these with no luck. I got some CCI 209 standard primers and hope they'll work well enough. I'll keep looking for the magnums in the mean time.

I'm hoping my gun will like the 295 Gr, aerotip powerbelts because that's all I've got.

I'm sure glad I didn't wait until the very last minute to get everything together. The way it looks right now I should have started a lot sooner.

Ned Jr.":xj1ysp9s said:
Well it seems like nothings easy nowadays. And I probably make things harder than they should be.

I ordered the CVA I posted the link to. When I got it I realized it didn't have the thumbhole stock I wanted and thought I had ordered. The last couple guns I've bought have are thumbholes and I really like them. I emailed CVA to let them know their website was deceiving because the gun I ordered had a picture of a thumbhole stock. I just wanted to let them know it messed me up so it wouldn't happen to the next guy. They immediately change the photo, emailed me back and then called. They said they'd get the one I wanted in the mail. I'm really pleased with their service!

Then the Blackhorn 209 powder. Yesterday I drove to Bass pro shop, Cabalas, Sportsman's warehouse and a few other places and came up empty. I came home and ordered some online. I hope to get it before season starts.

I read were I needed the different breech plug on my CVA if I shoot Blackhorn 209 or any loose powder so I got one of those ordered.

I've read several places they recommend using CCI 209M "magnum" primers with Blackhorn 209. I have looked hard for these with no luck. I got some CCI 209 standard primers and hope they'll work well enough. I'll keep looking for the magnums in the mean time.

I'm hoping my gun will like the 295 Gr, aerotip powerbelts because that's all I've got.

I'm sure glad I didn't wait until the very last minute to get everything together. The way it looks right now I should have started a lot sooner.

I have a pound of Triple 7 if you need it. Just ran into your BIL at Safeway.

Ned Jr.":2qxsg25e said:

I use standard primers and the breech plug that came with the gun never had a misfire.
If you are looking for black powder supplies this is the place. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... oryId/3502

3 way, You tell my bil he's needs to go on a diet and stay the heck out of Safeway :D But just don't tell him I told you to tell him that. :D I wondered if Salida's true value might carry any primers or powder? Thanks for the offer on the triple 7. I guess if I get in a real pinch I still have the black powder I use with my 54 caliber too.

Caustic, I was hoping you would tell me that. And thanks for the link. I already ordered 5 lbs through midwayusa or I'd oder through your place. I should have asked before I ordered. Your place looks better.

I have the CVA Kodiak Magnum and have had great luck with it.
I have played with about every powder and bullet combination.
I find it's pretty well dead on at a hundered yards with 100g pyrodex powder and 44cal FTX 225 gr with sabot.
I have taken 3 deer, 2 yotes and a bobcat using this load.
A friend of mine has used it elk hunting in Colorado and brought down an elk at 100yds with 100g pyrodex powder and a 5ocal 295g powerbelt.
I have found any more than 100g of powder is totally useless.

Good luck on your hunt

Cal

Ned Jr[b:1mt2hcym said:
.":1mt2hcym]3 way, You tell my bil he's needs to go on a diet and stay the heck out of Safeway :D But just don't tell him I told you to tell him that.[/b] :D I wondered if Salida's true value might carry any primers or powder? Thanks for the offer on the triple 7. I guess if I get in a real pinch I still have the black powder I use with my 54 caliber too.

Caustic, I was hoping you would tell me that. And thanks for the link. I already ordered 5 lbs through midwayusa or I'd oder through your place. I should have asked before I ordered. Your place looks better.

No way. Bob's a big man. If he caught me he's kick my azz. True Value has nothing gunwise these days. But there are 3 gunstores in Salida now. Tell me what you want I will look for it!

3waycross":baey9x12 said:
Ned Jr[b:baey9x12 said:
.":baey9x12]3 way, You tell my bil he's needs to go on a diet and stay the heck out of Safeway :D But just don't tell him I told you to tell him that.[/b] :D I wondered if Salida's true value might carry any primers or powder? Thanks for the offer on the triple 7. I guess if I get in a real pinch I still have the black powder I use with my 54 caliber too.

No way. Bob's a big man. If he caught me he's kick my azz. True Value has nothing gunwise these days. But there are 3 gunstores in Salida now. Tell me what you want I will look for it!

He's got bad knees. You could out run him. :D

I think I should have things covered as soon as everything comes in the mail. I read a article the Blackhorn website had about recommend primers. I seen the place Caustic gave the link to had some of the recommended ones. I ordered some of the Cheddite primers. Then it said I'd be covered if I wanted to order some powder on the hazardous material fee I paid on the primers. So I orders some more Blackhorn from them in case the other takes the 6 weeks they said it might. I also have some platinum powerbelts coming in 270 and 300 gr. If everything ever comes in I should have enough stuff to go prairie dog shooting. I'd like to get some practice in with it.

Calman":1y3rsn57 said:
I find it's pretty well dead on at a hundered yards with 100g pyrodex powder and 44cal FTX 225 gr with sabot.
A friend of mine has used it elk hunting in Colorado and brought down an elk at 100yds with 100g pyrodex powder and a 5ocal 295g powerbelt.

Good luck on your hunt

Cal

Thanks! It sounds like you shoot just about everything with your muzzleloader. How bad a hole did you blow threw the bobcat?

Ned Jr.":2sdz7swp said:
Calman":2sdz7swp said:

Good luck on your hunt

Cal[/quote

Thanks! It sounds like you shoot just about everything with your muzzleloader. How bad a hole did you blow threw the bobcat?
Ill put it this way. The hide was not worth saving

Ned the gun store in Salida has 2 containers of Blackhorn. It is stupid expensive. $36 for a 10oz bottle.

3waycross":1islo8eq said:
Ned the gun store in Salida has 2 containers of Blackhorn. It is stupid expensive. $36 for a 10oz bottle.
My order from Grafs Caustic gave the link to already came today so I'm good. Thanks for looking though!!!

I shot it a couple times today and really liked it. All I need to do is go tie a elk up now.

I cleaned my new gun before I shot it and the barrel was surprisingly dirty. Like it had been shot and not cleaned. Do you think they would pre shot the gun and ship it with a dirty barrel? Or is it more likely I got someones return?

Might be some type of rust inhibiter or assembly lube that used to be on new guns fresh out the box.

Ned Jr.":2xym6sj0 said:
3waycross":2xym6sj0 said:
My order from Grafs Caustic gave the link to already came today so I'm good. Thanks for looking though!!!

I shot it a couple times today and really liked it. All I need to do is go tie a elk up now.

I cleaned my new gun before I shot it and the barrel was surprisingly dirty. Like it had been shot and not cleaned. Do you think they would pre shot the gun and ship it with a dirty barrel? Or is it more likely I got someones return?

ALL firearms are tested before they leave the factory. To the best of my knowledge they are not cleaned before they are shipped.

Latest posts