Music tames the savage calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Spent all day yesterday sorting, moving and weaning cows and heifers.
I have 25 heifers in the corral behind the barn; just pulled off the cows yesterday. Inside the barn, I have a radio that plays the local classic rock station (you know the type: Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc). The radio is on 24/7 because the tuner doesnt work..and the barn cats love to rock a bit. I had noticed a few weeks ago, when I weaned the steers, that they seemed much tamer than in years past. Just figured they were a much tamer group than usual. Started on feed immediately and never got riled up.

Today, when I went to check the heifers and put some grain out, I observed that many are settling in quite nicely, and only a few are left bawling. None of them acted stupid or nervous as i walked amongst them, which is extremely unusual for the heifer weaners.

Anyone else had this happen with music while weaning or am I seeing something that isn't really there?

A constant noise like music is soothing to many animals as it keeps the sudden noises from being so startling. Dairy barns use them all the time to relax cows. Calm cows give more milk. Remember the old singing cowboys on a trail ride did it for a reason.

I have a radio going when working cows or calves through the chute. Seems to help but no proof. It does seem to deaden the noise of the chute doors and pen gates opening and closing.

I've never piped in music to the pasture during weaning but the theory makes sense. That's why so many people with anxious pets leave the TV/radio on when they're gone, a lot of boarding kennels have music. I talk to my cattle all the time (I don't get out much) and they definitely recognize my voice, know their name & respond. Congrats on what appears to be a very successful, clever (even by accident) weaning!

I love listening to the radio. Look like I'm gonna have to get one to go at the catch pens. I can completely believe it would help. Me and the cows.

Kept a radio going in the dairy barn constantly. Mexican boys kept it on mexican music station so cattle had to get use to it. I had started them on country. ;-)

JMJ Farms":hwqf30bp said:
I love listening to the radio. Look like I'm gonna have to get one to go at the catch pens. I can completely believe it would help. Me and the cows.

I'm the same way. Just really enjoy music. (saw Chris Stapleton this past weekend- wow, what a show!!!)

So, checked and fed today. Only one left bawling. None scattered when I entered to feed and they immediately stuck their faces in the feed bunks.
I also have a round bale of 3rd cutting hay in with them.
These heifers were out in a remote pasture all spring and summer with very limited human interaction. Basically, only got handled for a couple fly treatments and if i had to treat pinkeye. They were pretty flighty while me and son #4 caught them and loaded them. I am very pleased with how quickly they have settled down.

I think it's the year. When we weaned, they all acted like they got ahold of weed. We were working them thru the chute like a hot knife thru butter and half of them were laying down in the catch pen enjoying life.

They balled for 3 days, none escaped.

Not one of us could figure out why they were acting so calm. We had no radio. We generally have good cattle and only a few that'll give us issues and stubbornness. But this was almost eery.

I weaned on sunday as well, last night there were still the occasional moos, they're quiet tonight though. I kept 3 steers and 2 heifers, the rest shipped.

Latest posts