Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Found em!!
Mama is very flighty right now. And the calf is just as thrifty! Got a lil yeller sticky butt already too.
I'll get more pics in a day or three. What a relief. Bought cows always worry me. The biggest issue was we didn't know if she was a heifer or an actual cow. This gurl came from a neighbors place. Same one dropped the baby in pen, BTW!
He needed a few bucks and sold this one and a big weaned heifer, but couldn't remember if she had ever had a calf or not. Was gonna check records and i never heard heard back. But was supposed to be bred to lbw angus. Sure enough!
20240207_081522.jpg

@Jeanne - Simme Valley
Here's that bwf cow. 8 or 9 yr old if I remember right.
Looking forward to her calf.
20240207_173306.jpg
Frosty ears should be next to calve...
Looking forward to her calf too!!
20240207_173313.jpg
This is that char calfs mama. She's THIN.
We will fix that in no time!
20240207_173647.jpg
Oddly enough. Her calf ran off chasing that young red bashful 4yr old cow I got a while back. Hmmmmmm
Sure enough. She's letting him nurse. Gonna have to do something about that mess. She's only 6 months or so bred

I like that BWF cow - and love the looks of that red goggled eye calf!
That's Dapples heifer. She's pretty narrow bodied compared to the black heifer I got for her. I'll see how she develops. I would love another nurse cow. Tho I don't think she will make the milk her mama does

The frosty eared cow looks like a Brown Swiss Angus cross. Possibly half of each. She may make you another nurse cow? My nurse cow that I run right now. Is a full brown Swiss that we breed back to an Angus.

The frosty eared cow looks like a Brown Swiss Angus cross. Possibly half of each. She may make you another nurse cow? My nurse cow that I run right now. Is a full brown Swiss that we breed back to an Angus.
I bet that makes a real nice calf!
A Swiss angus...
Mine seems too ALERT? for a nurse cow tho
If you lived closer, I'd send you one, or two, to use!!!
Haha!
I keep saying I'd like another one but do I really?? Its some kind of sickness

Haha!
I keep saying I'd like another one but do I really?? Its some kind of sickness
When Zeke found Gail, I just had thoughts of some Bra x Jer heifers. All I really wanted out of the other 4, too. But, we got to thinking, may as well buy a bottle calf and let them raise one of hem too. I had not bought one in 50 years or so. I knew they probably weren't $5-$10 anymore....figured they may be $30 or more! Holy sh*t!!! Then, found out even 2 might be enough for the pure dairy ones! Have to add more, or milk, or both! I an so glad I live 3 hours away. But, got 3 of them farmed out to other people to raise and wean the Brah heifers for me, They can buy all the bottle calves they want for those cows to raise, or milk them, or whatever! I asked Zeke the other day, what he thought about letting Gail and Whitey go visit " Mr, Morry" for a while. He said, " Well. I think they would like to go see Bessie's calf, but we'd have to go take them some water every day. But we could take enough for Bessie and the other cows too, couldn't we?" He can't wrap his head around how far away Oklahoma is, but he remembers y'all having that drought!! LOL He asked if maybe you cand Bessie could come there and stay awhile. He said you could stay in his room, and Bessie could stay with Gail and Whitey! :ROFLMAO:

When Zeke found Gail, I just had thoughts of some Bra x Jer heifers. All I really wanted out of the other 4, too. But, we got to thinking, may as well buy a bottle calf and let them raise one of hem too. I had not bought one in 50 years or so. I knew they probably weren't $5-$10 anymore....figured they may be $30 or more! Holy sh*t!!! Then, found out even 2 might be enough for the pure dairy ones! Have to add more, or milk, or both! I an so glad I live 3 hours away. But, got 3 of them farmed out to other people to raise and wean the Brah heifers for me, They can buy all the bottle calves they want for those cows to raise, or milk them, or whatever! I asked Zeke the other day, what he thought about letting Gail and Whitey go visit " Mr, Morry" for a while. He said, " Well. I think they would like to go see Bessie's calf, but we'd have to go take them some water every day. But we could take enough for Bessie and the other cows too, couldn't we?" He can't wrap his head around how far away Oklahoma is, but he remembers y'all having that drought!! LOL He asked if maybe you cand Bessie could come there and stay awhile. He said you could stay in his room, and Bessie could stay with Gail and Whitey! :ROFLMAO:
That's only four states away, not that far 🤣 Just a hop, skip and a jump.

Went to check on em this evening. She actually brought the calf up for dinner!!
Tagged the lil chocolate drop heifer. Loooove her color....
20240212_181048.jpg20240212_180215.jpg
Mama is still retaining. Keeping an eye on that. Hope there ain't another one in the oven. She don't appear too slim....
20240212_181648.jpg
Dapples!
20240212_181333.jpg
Shlurp
Shlurp
Shlurp
20240212_181433.jpg
Holding condition pretty good with 2 big heifers. Unlimited hay. And 20% cubes 3 times a week. I've got 11 cows there. One sack, Monday/Wednesday/Friday and sometimes a day on the weekend.
20240212_181511.jpg
Lil Shorty no tag
20240212_181635.jpg
I really like this big soggy gal!
Be along soon I hope.
20240212_181736.jpg
And this one too....
20240212_181447.jpg
All seem pretty fat and happy. Don't take much feed. Some were pretty rough when I got em.

Cows look good. The 2 calves on Dapples look real good... she is obviously producing enough milk for 2, feeding a little, without having to feed like with Bessie being a Jersey...
Oddly enough, Bessie calves at just the right time!
Spring flush comes on, and she just gains gains gains! Even with 2 calves. She's raised 3 at a time but I've found 2 is a sweet spot and NO feed thru spring summer.

I've not been pushing her. Not gonna push Dapples either. If I think they can, and I can find a few babies in a few months, I may try a second set on each. We will see. Even a single each for 2nd graft would be 3 calves a year. I can live with that especially if I ain't gotta feed. It's near impossible to do that at the lease place without feeding everything.

Thanks for the compliments!
I've been watching the calves carefully to be sure they are getting enough.

@Jeanne - Simme Valley u just might be right. Tho her nose is a dark chocolate color as well. I'd like to see what she becomes, but the pair may get flipped....

Latest posts