multifloor rose

Help Support CattleToday:

jnm303

Reaction score
I need to spray my fence lines for multifloor rose and other briars. What should I use?

I typically use Grazon and Remedy for MFRs. A friend of mine has been using Remedy by itself and hasn;t been very happy with the results. I don;t know if it's the combination or if Grazon by itself would work as well. Surmount really hammers them but it's pricey and I think you need a license. I'm not sure about the license since I have one so don;t really pay attention to what may be restricted or not.
If you don;t care about killing everything else Glyphosate will kill them too.

I'm using Surmount(fluroxpyr-piclorum- no 2-4D) from Dow at the 2% solution the piclorum will translocate to the roots. I've used Crossbow(2-4d-triclopyr) in the past and it has been a waste of money. It kills the top of the plant off and it regrows from the crown. Be sure to add crop oil to your solution. It really helps. I had to come back and edit the active ingredients as I had them wrong. There was concern by some for the cost of these brush killers. I find the cheapest ones will always be the ones that work and i don't have to do it again on the same brush. I have not used Remedy but it may be another good one.

IL cow man":29mma869 said:
I'm using Surmount(fluroxpyr-piclorum- no 2-4D) from Dow at the 2% solution the piclorum will translocate to the roots. I've used Crossbow(2-4d-triclopyr) in the past and it has been a waste of money. It kills the top of the plant off and it regrows from the crown. Be sure to add crop oil to your solution. It really helps. I had to come back and edit the active ingredients as I had them wrong. There was concern by some for the cost of these brush killers. I find the cheapest ones will always be the ones that work and i don't have to do it again on the same brush. I have not used Remedy but it may be another good one.
Remedy isn;t as good as Surmount for the stubborn stuff. The problem with Surmount is that if you use to much of it under trees as the brush or whatever dies it releases the picloram back into the soil and hammers the trees. I only use it on the open, Remedy and Grazon mixed for around the trees I don;t want to die.

Grazon is 2-4d to pichloram I did not check the percentage of each. With grazon you may be getting a lower level of picloram. I believe the highest percentage of chemical in Remedy is kerosene and i don't think that is good for grass. Do you think spraying a lower solution of Surmount may have the same results?

IL cow man":29cls1up said:
Grazon is 2-4d to pichloram I did not check the percentage of each. With grazon you may be getting a lower level of picloram. I believe the highest percentage of chemical in Remedy is kerosene and i don't think that is good for grass. Do you think spraying a lower solution of Surmount may have the same results?
I didn't know kerosene was water soluable.
I tried grazon pd and had very little success. Probably because the rose was in a hay meadow and had much more root system than leaf.

novatech":ez2cfjrh said:
IL cow man":ez2cfjrh said:
I didn't know kerosene was water soluable.
I tried grazon pd and had very little success. Probably because the rose was in a hay meadow and had much more root system than leaf.
If MFR or blackberrys have been cut this eyar spraying them won;t do a whole lot. They need a good 6 months to a years growth before any herbicide that I've used (other then Surmount) seems to have much long term affect.

IL cow man":34qb7hyq said:
Seems funny that remedy has Kerosene as you can spray it on grass and it doesn't even burn it
and it sure doesn't smell like Kerosene

I looked up the MSDS sheet and the one I found was for Canada, but their should not be any difference
61.6% Triclopyr
18.6-31.0% Kerosene
.5% Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether
.2% Naptha

More than likely by the time you dilute with water you will not see any effect from Petroleum products. I have not used Remedy but it seems to be popular. I have no idea what it costs or the mixing instructions vs Surmount . I've been spraying surmount at the 2% rate. I didn't get anything sprayed last year and am playing catch up now. Most of what I'm spraying is what crossbow didn't kill. I would like to be refunded the cost for the Crossbow. It sure was a waste of time and money. The only Crossbow that worked was what I mixed with diesel to base treat larger locust trees.

IL cow man":3hgd2j0u said:
More than likely by the time you dilute with water you will not see any effect from Petroleum products. I have not used Remedy but it seems to be popular. I have no idea what it costs or the mixing instructions vs Surmount . I've been spraying surmount at the 2% rate. I didn't get anything sprayed last year and am playing catch up now. Most of what I'm spraying is what crossbow didn't kill. I would like to be refunded the cost for the Crossbow. It sure was a waste of time and money. The only Crossbow that worked was what I mixed with diesel to base treat larger locust trees.
I don;t know the prices of equal size containers, but Remedy runs around 70-75 a gallon and Surmount is 170 for 2 1/2 gallons.

That makes them about equal in price. My dealer quoted me $56/gallon on Surmount maybe that was his cost. he might have messed up his pricing.

IL cow man":jln9kdx9 said:
That makes them about equal in price. My dealer quoted me $56/gallon on Surmount maybe that was his cost. he might have messed up his pricing.
If he's willing to stick with that price to you, buy as much as you think you'll need in the next couple of years. Maybe get some extra, that might be enough to intice me into doing something I swore I would never do again, drive in IL

:lol2: I know what you mean driving in IL is scary between the bad roads, bad drivers, distracted drivers (texting) and the fuel taxes so we can maintain the bad roads and the bad drivers at our current level. I'll check and see about getting a firm price. I might be coming out that way in August not sure yet.

I just got my license and I think the training dvd we watched said an emulsifier was added to herbicides to allow them to mix with water.

I believe you are thinking of a surfactant being added such as crop oil or on a non ionic surfactant. Emulsifiers are usually already in the herbicides. The surfactants help the chemicals to stick to the leaves especially leaves with waxy surfaces to allow better absorbtion into the leaf tissue.

My dad always used an idle boy or a son that needed discipline equipped with a grubbing hoe. In later years through the use of Roundup we were able to eradicate them.