Multi-min 90

Help Support CattleToday:

5th Generation

Reaction score
I think it is a fairly new product, and I was wondering if any of you guys had used it and think it is worth it. They say it is good to use pre-breeding and helps with conception rates. My vet said he had heard good reports about it.

Probably works to some degree however, all the minerals are in the least bioavailable form (zinc oxide, manganese carbonate, sodium selenite, copper carbonate) You cattle would get much more benefit from feeding a mineral containing organic minerals (amino acid complexes or chelates) year round.

I use it before breeding, before calving, and use it on calves when there weaned. Mine are on a good mineral year round also. I don't know that it helps but it makes sense to me, I already spend so much to make sure there bred whats a few more dollars, now more than ever with the prices of cattle. I give it when vaccinating so no more trouble to do. Did have 2 10yr olds that were open this year, that makes the culling easier.

5th Generation":3021nnms said:
think it is worth it. They say it is good to use pre-breeding and helps with conception rates.

Not new and a bit spendy.The value depends on the feed you have and the soil you have and the free choice mineral you feed and the needs of your cattle.
Many soils are low in Cu and Se and ... Some breeds (like simi) need more mineral than others.
I can not say if it improved conception (my AI results are not that great) but it did improve their hair coat :banana:

Thanks for the responses. I feed mineral year round but I have several cows with the red saddle back on black cows and that is supposed to be a copper deficiency so I was wandering if it would help because the mineral I am feeding isn't taking care of it.

5th Generation":2ckkhv7b said:
Thanks for the responses. I feed mineral year round but I have several cows with the red saddle back on black cows and that is supposed to be a copper deficiency so I was wandering if it would help because the mineral I am feeding isn't taking care of it.

Yes

We sell a ton of Multi-Min where I work. The most important thing is to make sure you don't OD cows on one mineral just because they have a deficiency in another. You do want to know what they are lacking.

But most of the guys here swear by it and won't go without it.

I have never used it because of the selenium,if they had some without selenium I sure would try it.

A.Lane said:
We sell a ton of Multi-Min where I work. The most important thing is to make sure you don't OD cows on one mineral just because they have a deficiency in another. You do want to know what they are lacking.

I have never used it because of the selenium,if they had some without selenium I sure would try it.[/quote]

Same here.

3waycross":jh6rix20 said:
A.Lane":jh6rix20 said:

I have never used it because of the selenium,if they had some without selenium I sure would try it.[/quote]

Same here.

I look at it sort of like getting a B-12 shot after a big night of heavy drinking. Gives you a boost for part of the day then you crash right back to where you were before. Keep good high quality mineral available and they won't need this stuff.

I just don't understand how a little bottle of liquid can have as much mineral in it as 50 lb. sacks. Seems like the grasshopper fertilizer where you spray 25 lb sack per acre.

A beef cow needs 100 mg Cu per day. Injecting Multimin on a 700kg cow uses 7mls. The Cu in Multimin is 15mg/ml so the Cu dose is 105mg. I mix my own mineral and the cost of the trace mineral packs are $7.5. Here in Botswana the cost of 7ml multi min is $1.5. The trace mineral pack contains 100 grams Cu. Converting to mg it contains 100000 mg. So 1 cent buys 133 mg Cu in the mineral pack and 1 cent buys 0.7 mg Cu in multimin.
Injecting 3 times a year with mutimin only provides 0.86 mg Cu per day if you average it out over the year.

We use Multi-Min 90 in our operation but probably use it differently then most... I have found that when we work the cows in early spring, you usually see some momma's that are sucked down pretty hard. When we do see this, we will give a shot of Multi-min and it just seems to give them a little kick-start on their recovery.

Occasionally we will use it during weaning if we see a calf that may be starting to head in the wrong direction due to stress or getting used to feed. It's a good product and well worth the expense in my opinion.

We tried it last fall, along with the switch to the Vita Ferm Mineral. Our conceptions were better, and our recips did great with implantation of the embryos. We did one flush, not so good there but I think there was a problem with the semen there. Anyway, we did not use it this spring, but stayed with the Vita Ferm. Still having outstanding conception rates with AI and embryos, along with return to heat quicker than average. So do I miss the Multi Min? Nope. I will use it for a flush, just to cover the basis, but not for all the other stuff now.

Latest posts