Mule types

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I have an old animal husbandry text (1943) that gives descriptions of "sugar mules", "cotton mules", "farm mules", and "army mules". These mules were bred for work on sugar and cotton plantations and for general farm and military work. Are mules bred today for different purposes. I know that there are draft mules and I've seen miniature mules produced from Shetland mares. I'm just curious about the subject. Thanks.

Mules today are bred for just about anthing you can imagine. There are gaited mules and jumping mules and cutting mules and mules bred to pull. If it's being done horseback it's being done muleback to. Mules have gained so much populaity in recent years that it's not unusual to see one of them sale between $5-10,000 dollars. There is a race track in California that holds mule races. The track record at a mile 1/8 was almost beat by a mule a few years ago. Less then a seconds difference in almost the exact same conditions.

A vet I know in Az raises mules out of TWH and Mo. Foxtrotter mare. I've ridden several of them and it's like sliding across a sheet of glass.

Mules had a bad rep for many years until someone figured out that it wasn't the mules fault. It was the mamas. In the old days when people farmed with mules and especially on the old plantations people bred their good mares to the stud and their culls to the jack. Bad conformation? No prolem it's only a mule. Bad disposistion? Again no problem the "nigras" were the ones handling them. Today it's not unusual to see five figure mares being led to the jack.Z

how true that is.. is you breed to a crazy mare then your gonna get a "cowboy killer" that wont miss, we have riding mules, some are draft that we pull with, and ride, but i all so pull withthe donkeys too.. small loads of hay, brush ect,,just to train them, so they know how.. thay are great on trails, Rose

Yes there is so many different ways to breed them as Milliron mentioned. The combination of using Bad Mares and people training them that did not know what they were doing let to some of the bad rep mules got. Mules can not always be trained the same as Horses.

Here is 5 of our Mules, shows you a little diversity in breeding.

Wife and Kids
LeonaandKidsonMules.jpg

My Mule since I was taking picture above. (I need to get some good pictures of him)

Mule.jpg

Is it true that mules are fairly unflappable?
I saw a beautiful gaited mule on a huge trail drive.... and all I know is that I want one.

bward":3gs6t6b0 said:
Is it true that mules are fairly unflappable?
I saw a beautiful gaited mule on a huge trail drive.... and all I know is that I want one.

That is one thing I like about them they are less flighty than horses. The do not spook as easy. They are more aware of their surroundings.

We live next to a rail road track, and when we go riding lots of times we will ride down the tracks, I have a little test I always take the Mules or Horses over. And ever time a friend brings out a horse we go down it.

On the Rail road track part way down their is a Railroad tie missing with a hole there. Allowing them to walk loose reigned with no cues every mule I have saw sees the whole and missing tie 10 to 15 feet before they get to it and will automatically move off the rail road and walk on the outside of the tracks. Every horse just walks right over it with out even a notice. Mules watch were they are walking and pay special attention to it. That is why you want to be on one of them instead of a horse if you are going down the Grand Canyon. Their surefootedness comes allot from the fact they pay attention to what they are doing.

I want one!! They don't breed the gaited ones mules up here.... I have never seen one other than the one on the drive. Missouri Fox trotters are almost unheard of up here but there are a few Tennessee Walkers, and rarely a Paso.

In fact I don't recall anyone who produces mules up here at all.
All I ever see are miniatures.

bward":39heytov said:
I want one!! They don't breed the gaited ones mules up here.... I have never seen one other than the one on the drive. Missouri Fox trotters are almost unheard of up here but there are a few Tennessee Walkers, and rarely a Paso.

In fact I don't recall anyone who produces mules up here at all.
All I ever see are miniatures.

Mules are like a good bull sometimes you have to drive a ways to get one. But it is worth it. Not sure what sources there would be in Canada. Can you bring equine from U.S. to Canada?

I loved the post. I have a little brown mule just like yours, but it takes us 2 weeks to catch her when we want to work with her. She is really beautiful and the shetland really shows up in her cantankerous ways. Everyone tells me to get rid of her but I just can't she'll end up in a can of dog food somewhere because no one other than Rose and I have the patience for her. Anyways she makes a good lawn ornament lol.

Janie

As for the hard to catch-this takes time,but what you're doing does too- Whenever you feed her,she has to have a halter on.If she wears one,a lead rope fastened to it..Do not just catch her to work her!! Catch her and do something a mule would think was fun..Hand graze her in a good green spot,give her a treat..then walk away..she's a smarty,so you've gotta be smarter. :lol:

refering to janes hard to catch mini mule, it took us 6 weeks one time to catch her. mule fishing..LOL simlpy because if we would of rushed her,she'd kick our heads off and we would of gained no ground with her.. she is really, really old, know nothing of her past life, proubly been abused. and passed around from auction to auction. she loves us her in her own little mule way. she will stretch her neck/nose as far as she can to get a snack for our hand. loves cookies..(thats her weakness LOL) she has came along way since jane got her,, but shell never be a babysitter like the rest of the herd. thats just little bear, she has a home till she lays down for the last time.. yeah we are both suckers for "last chance ranch" guitly as charged.. Rose

best way to catch em is go out in the paddock with a chair and a magazine....and treats in your pocket.... start reading the magazine for awhile....they are really curious, and sooner or later will come over to see what the heck it is you are up to....after a few days of that you will get a magazine pal for life....to hell with catching em....that comes a bit later on.... 8)