Mud Dabbers

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Does anyone have a solution for getting rid of mud dabbers? (those black waspy looking thinks that build mud nests in and on everything)! They are in my storage room, my feed barn, my tool boxes, everywhere and I can't get rid of them. I went to get a saddle out of the barn last night and it had half a dozen mud dabber nests on the underside of it.

I've tried foggers, hanging sticky things, moth balls...nothing has worked.

A6gal":87hpfdm0 said:
Does anyone have a solution for getting rid of mud dabbers? (those black waspy looking thinks that build mud nests in and on everything)! They are in my storage room, my feed barn, my tool boxes, everywhere and I can't get rid of them. I went to get a saddle out of the barn last night and it had half a dozen mud dabber nests on the underside of it.

I've tried foggers, hanging sticky things, moth balls...nothing has worked.

you might check with your feed store.. there is a spray you can spray to keep wasps out or at least to a minimum, but i cant remember the name of it.

not sure that it will work on the mudders, but it might. if it doesnt, maybe they will know of something.

a big problem with em is building in the exhaust of your weed eater... you can pull and pull and that dude wont start.

jt

Get rid of all water in outside receptacles, standing water in low spots, etc. Mud Dobbers need "mud" (aka water & soil) to make their nests. I don't think there are any of these insects in the desert.

All joking aside, we have them too...about only solution has been to knock down a nest, crush it...when you find one

Guess it's just one of life's miseries we all have to live with... :(

My stock tank is about 200 yards from the barns and my house. If I don't get some rain soon it's going to dry up and that will solve my dabber problem. I'd rather have the dabbers to deal with than have my tank dry up though.

Someone with some real ingenuity could get rich by inventing something that would get rid of these pesty things. I'd sure buy it! I've already asked at the feed store they didn't have any solutions either.

Some dabbers packed the motor of a grinder with mud a while back and when it was turned on the motor burned up.

it's always fun to cut their stingers off when they get in the house and watch them fly around pissed off with nothing they can do about it. They are really harmless never known of anybody to get stung by one. They are just annoying and get into everything.

O.k. now I'll tell you my phobia "spiders" . Mud dobers catch spiders and store them in those mud houses for their young. I'd rather have the mud houses than the spiders.

this is the first time i've heard em called mud dabbers... around here we call em dirt dobbers. :lol:

jt

i call them dirt dobbers too. i think its dobbers, may be dawbers though.

Dirt Dobbers here in Tennessee too. They definitely do collect spiders to put in the mud houses. The larve hatch and eat the spiders. I was told that when they sting the spider, it only put him to sleep. They are a beneficial insect. They do not bother anyone other than the mud they leave. I leave them alone and let them do their thing.

this is the first time i've heard em called mud dabbers...

I've heard them called dirt dawbers, too. I've just always called them mud dawbers. Seems I have different names for about everything. I call the pile of dirt behind my stock tank a "tank dump" and everyone looks at me like I'm a nut. My explanation is the dirt is taken from inside the tank and you "dump" it on the outside, "tank dump". My boyfriend, a hunting guide, laughs at me when I call the hunting stand a "deer blind".

Bama, sorry about your spider phobia. I guess we all have them. Mine is things you can't see under the water when your swimming. Anyway, you'd have been in trouble around my Grandpa. Spiders were beneficial so you let 'em be (unless it was a black widow). If we got caught killing a spider, we'd get a good "talkin' to". To this day all spiders have a "go free" pass with me.

Chuckie":2eq2gjiq said:
Dirt Dobbers here in Tennessee too. They definitely do collect spiders to put in the mud houses. The larve hatch and eat the spiders. I was told that when they sting the spider, it only put him to sleep. They are a beneficial insect. They do not bother anyone other than the mud they leave. I leave them alone and let them do their thing.

I know they are good insects to have around, but it is unnerving to walk into the 3 sided barn and hear them buzzing in the tubes they build. I'm sure the way to keep them out is to seal up the barn.

They do make a buzzing sound for sure. They sound like they have it in granny low and are stuck in mud up to the floorboard. I agree that spiders are good too. But I do mash Brown Recluse and Black Widows.

EWWWW!!! I can't stand spiders! I stomp every one I can. I absolutely hate it when I'm walking through the woods at night (or any other time or place for that matter) and run in to a darn spider web! Forget hunting after that, all the critters will be gone.

Just night before last as I was gonig to bed I saw a brown recluse on my pillow. Did I mention I hate spiders.

A6gal":123a3dgg said:
this is the first time i've heard em called mud dabbers...

I've heard them called dirt dawbers, too. I've just always called them mud dawbers.

Spiders were beneficial so you let 'em be (unless it was a black widow). If we got caught killing a spider, we'd get a good "talkin' to". To this day all spiders have a "go free" pass with me.

Spiders outside are safe, but if they are in my house, they are dead! No ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Bama, the fiddle backs are bad boys. My cousin was bitten by one. It took about a year to get over it. It destroyed about a 6" square section of skin on her arm and required skin graphs. Those and black widows are the only really bad ones we have here. If dirt dobbers will take care of the fiddle backs I'll buy them the mud.

Latest posts