Moving up fall calvers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I started with a Sept/Oct calving herd. Have been trying to move them up for a couple years. Some will calve every 10 to 11 months, some not.
Mean while some of my recently purchased May/June calvers have slipped, even though they have great clover/grass pasture.
So I still have about 10% later calving cows that are fat and sassy. I am thinking about sorting off and selling them. Any other ideas on getting them to bred back sooner? They look great but are not hard working...

How about just making 2 calving seasons. The past couple of years we've had really severe heat and humidity during our breeding season and any of the really good cows that aere going to calve late or are open we're going to shift to fall calving. The first year it will only mena holding them a couple of extra months to see if they settle. After that we'll be back to anything that doesn;t settle in 45 days finds a new home (preferably in someones freezer)

I seem to recall reading somewhere (and I know how useless that is as a source) that letting a cow slip a calving season can actually result in the same or more money over the cow's life. If you can justify it, it's much easier to let the fall calvers slip to the spring season. You'd obviously save on hay that winter with no fall calves since you'd have dry cows.

We have a fall and spring herd, don't have to wait for a year for a late female and/or you can sell her bred sooner if you so desire. After all, bred animals sell higher than pounded out open females.
It's lots easier to delay the season than to get them bred earlier.
Valerie

Sorted off and sold four that were not showing yet. One decent looking heifer, one old cow, and two substandard cows.

Ended up going by the pound. Sad to see them go but I can buy back a better animal for the same $ in November.

I only have calves twice a year march-may, and oct-nov. This works out good because the bull only breeds two times a year, and you get year round income.

Latest posts