Mothering Ability?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I see a huge range of mothering ability in my put together herd. Where they calve, how much attention they pay to the calf, and how they handle pasture moves.

How much of this is bred in vs. learned?

What you are seeing is cows being cows. Some will mother/nurture excellent one year and only so so another. She'll raise a good calf but just not be as attentive. Doesn;t have really anything to do with age or experience. It's just how cows are. We've had cows that were never a problem turn into complete idiots. Never have had an idiot turn into a problem free cow unless you count putting them in freezer.

dun":2xm00ig2 said:
Never have had an idiot turn into a problem free cow unless you count putting them in freezer.

I cull hard on heifer (ettes), but like you said that is not a total solution. Some cows just make poor choices. We had a rain/snow storm come in last Friday. During the weekend two calved successfully in the trees, one calved successfully up on a round bale of straw, and one walked a quarter mile past the trees and the straw to drop her calf into a wet reed canary hole...

Stocker Steve":2fv4rd61 said:
I see a huge range of mothering ability in my put together herd. Where they calve, how much attention they pay to the calf, and how they handle pasture moves.

How much of this is bred in vs. learned?

The calf seems to have some part in the equation as well. Some hang close to mom and demand attention...other's couldn't find her in a closet and are just plain stupid.

Stocker Steve":34w3gxsw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":34w3gxsw said:
If it's inherited, they should weed themselves out - because the offspring has a tough time surviving.

Yes - on the open range.

I think that we (people) have taken this trait out of cattle when we started breeding them for meat, milk, and for pulling.

I think mothering ability is a total crap shoot. You never seem to know what you'll get. As far as handling pasture moves, though, a good old lead cow is worth her weight in gold.

cypressfarms":33bfbu3l said:
As far as handling pasture moves, though, a good old lead cow is worth her weight in gold.
I'll drink to that! Granny at 22 is still the leader. She may fall bacvk some and the others get a head of her. But when they get distracted and start wandering or milling, Ol Granny just keeps on chugging and gets them headed right again.

I put my 2 1/2 year old bull in with the stockers for a couple spring months. He quickly became the lead, even though he follows the cows when he is with them.

The funny part is how certain steers will hang close and try to impress him. My be nice to have the biggest pair in the township. :D

I was always told the mothering ability come from the sire. Not sure if that is true, but you should see the herd bull when it is his turn to "babysit" the calves. He hates to wait for them as he knows he has to bring them in with him and they like to piddle. There is always a cow or heifer or the herd bull that is desinated babysitter and watches over the calves. Do they not do this in your herds?
Valerie

I have always found that the most submissive cow gets to be babysitter of a large group or cows that calve relatively at the same time take turns who gets to babysit the young ones.

I believe the instinct comes from both parents, but if their dam was a loving, nurturing mother, than the calf most likely will pick up on that and do the same with their calves .

Stormy and Magic's dam tried to kill them both when they were born, so I raised them and now they both are two of the best mothers in the herd. They always know where their calves are and will babysit other calves as well.

What about breeds , do some breeds have more "mothering ability" than other?
Seems to me like my Brahman cross cows are good mothers ,most of them there is exceptions,

BRYANT":3r5brbni said:
What about breeds , do some breeds have more "mothering ability" than other?
Seems to me like my Brahman cross cows are good mothers ,most of them there is exceptions,

Not sure about breeds but I am sure about bloodlines:

My shorthorn crosses are a bit protective - - their calves don't get tags at birth.
My char crosses are a bit careless and the calves are ackward - - they need good weather at birth.
My herefords are the most attentive - - I bought some older cows and they really love those BWF babies.

Latest posts