Mossberg 500

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Decent gun? Guess I should have asked this here before I bought one. Was told they are about as good as an Rem 870. Was on sale at Cabelas for $300 US and I need to get serious about magpies and crows around here during calving. .22 doesn't get enough of them or fast enough. Buddy does animal control for his town and they buy ammo in bulk, so he can get me a lifetime supply of #6 and #7.5 shells. :D

great shotgun..i have 2..ones a short mariner wih a pistol grip... I think the other is like..26 inch? its on the roof of the mule...thoase are my rds of choice also but i do carry slugs for the occasional dog...

I have an older one of these that is in 20ga. (New Haven CT by Mossberg) Decent shotgun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_600

"New Haven 600 is a series of pump-action shotguns manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons on behalf of department stores, most notably the Montgomery Ward Company, Western Auto, and other retail stores. New Haven is one of O.F. Mossberg & Sons' private, promotional brands. The New Haven 600 is identical to the Mossberg 500 from O.F. Mossberg & Sons, with the addition of an anti-rattle system in the magazine tube. The 600 series comprises widely varying models of hammerless, pump action repeaters, all of which share the same basic receiver and action, but differ in bore size, barrel length, choke options, magazine capacity, and "furniture" (stock and forearm) materials."
Just about everything from a regular 500 Mossberg fits it and I really need to buy a new barrel for this one. Pitted pretty bad on the outside but shoots well.

Mossberg 500 is what I started all the kids and grandkids on. Good shotgun for rough service. I used to tote one up the forks of the river when hunting that country. If I dropped it out of the boat or in a slough I didn't have to worry about drowning to save it.
They are just not heirloom quality and the most it's ever worth is the day you bought it.
That said they work and are tough.

Caustic Burno":meajcaxx said:
They are just not heirloom quality and the most it's ever worth is the day you bought it.
That said they work and are tough.

No worry for heirlooms here. All my guns will be either destroyed or sold for pennies at auction when I kick off. I just look at them as a necessary farm tool.

Very decent and reliable gun Aaron... great choice for the application that you are wanting to use it on. Have fun and get them all!!

Imo and years of shooting a shotgun the 500 is my favorite pump reliable tight patterns Out of the box I just don't like How loose the pump is from side to side it will outshoot a 870 all day long. Good buy and they do kick like a borrowed mule

Latest posts