Mosquitoes

Help Support CattleToday:

Dragon fly larva are in the same water the skeeter's larva are in and they eat skeeter larva.

Once they hatch they then eat the adult skeeter.
Only problem is it can take 2 years for a dragon fly to become an adult.

(also all those stories of dragon flies biting are false. They wont bit, even if they did their bite would hurt less than a skeeter ;-) )

I know you can buy dragon fly larva but never did it.... just cant seem put out money for a bug.

Mike

Beefy":2o8fqq37 said:
Roadapple":2o8fqq37 said:
Best thing I found was just don't bathe, and after few hot day's, nothing will bother you, including your pet bull.

this is true especially for gnats. gnats are very tiny flying insects, think of a fly but a lot smaller and 4 times as annoying.

We use to have a saying in south georgia. Save the gnats thay keep the yankes away. ;-)

I worked in Alaska where they would come in in a V formation like B-52's. We ate brewer's yeast pills from the health food store. It did help a lot. But some years they were real bad and nothing helped except a regular blood transfusion.

Dave

Well up here we have

Mud season - this is kinda like spring. You know how it gets muddy in spring, well up here the frost line is about 4 feet so when it thaws it starts at the top. The water has nowhere to go because the lower level is frozen so we get mud. Very deep mud. If you run your truck on ungraveled ground dont complain when you need someone to dig you out enough to open the door.

Spring - You get about two to three weeks without mud.

Bug Season - Starts with black flies (like a big nat that likes blood), then as these build up the skeeters come in (huge and boy they sting), then just as you think ok this is pretty bad the "no-see-ems" start (these are more like nats but very very small and they bite. The good thing is unlike black flies and skeeters it doesnt ich after the bite, but when they bite Oouch). These all hang around till like august then all but the skeeters leave. When there here it is really bad, you cant do anything without a face full of them. You cant imagine unless your here.

Summer - From august to september you get the joys of summer without those bugs (except the skeeters at night).

Fall - From september to about november it is pretty good nights start getting cooler and days are nice.

Winter - From then till about late april is winter. Nights -30 days anywhere from -30 to 20 (these are not windchills).

I hope to find something that will work because last year we used a lotion that had like 20% deet and it worked great but we all got very sick for a month and some dont trust it.
I found 56% of the deet you put on actually will enter the blood stream.

Mike

Roadapple":118hzvi6 said:
I've read that vanilla extract works too, and also apple cider vinegar. Hav'nt tried either, but am fixing to. Don't know how you use the ACV, maybe you drink it. :D

We use apple cider vinegar in our home-made fly spray and it seems to work fine for the horses...

Beefy":3o56edbp said:
i had a stray cat show up the other day. i want to feed it a little bit so it learns to stay home but its main purpose will be to catch and eat skeeters. so i dont want to feed it too much. can anyone recommend a proper feed ration?

As bad as I hate to do this...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Alice

Latest posts