morrels

Help Support CattleToday:

Any of you tried I think they are called oyster mushrooms?They grow on dead trees are white on top and have fins on the underside very good eating.Also eat hen of the woods.They look like a pile of leaves at a distance.The last one I found I thought it was a grouse.Those are the only wild rooms iv'e tried.

angie":pl67xm9b said:
rusty":pl67xm9b said:
Had a oldtimer tell me they use to put thier find in a burlap sack and the spores would fall out and restart now about everyone uses plastic bags so the spores aren't replaced.I don't know but that was his thoughts on why they aren't as plentiful.
Good in theory, but not in practice. We've use onion bags to hunt ~ but it is purely a "just in case its true" type of thing. It is my understanding that there is a root system, and the regrowth is based soley on all that happens underground.

Onion bag huh! I can fit all the morrels I find in my T shirt pocket. So where is this patch at :?:

Just a update had 2 messes and a pan full in the fridge soaking.Gotta luv spring.

mnmtranching":dxngvxd5 said:
Onion bag huh! I can fit all the morrels I find in my T shirt pocket. So where is this patch at :?:
I wouldn't get out of my car for a pocket full (unless I am only using it to taunt my mom that there are more where that came from :lol2: )!

Ask BL ~ MM and I took her snipe hunting there last fall. Of course I was Designated Driver so BLs memory may be somewhat impaired :drink: :nod: . I know that at one point MM was wearing her pirate costume (the night she fondly refers to as "Halloween" in another post. :roll:). Its in a place called Popkeys Woods in Southern Mn. You'll know it when you get to the place with all the "No Trespassing" signs. :help:

angie":2ek89nub said:
mnmtranching":2ek89nub said:
I wouldn't get out of my car for a pocket full (unless I am only using it to taunt my mom that there are more where that came from :lol2: )!

Ask BL ~ MM and I took her snipe hunting there last fall. Of course I was Designated Driver so BLs memory may be somewhat impaired :drink: :nod: . I know that at one point MM was wearing her pirate costume (the night she fondly refers to as "Halloween" in another post. :roll:). Its in a place called Popkeys Woods in Southern Mn. You'll know it when you get to the place with all the "No Trespassing" signs. :help:

Thanks Angie, MM etc. for not mentioning me in our last escapades as hubby still thinks I was on an animal husbandry course...........I still cannot come up with an explanation for our huge @ssb expense account :???:
I am still trying to find out where MM got her pirate costume from as my big sis's kids always come to me for creative ideas for Halloween and such... :lol2: :help:

Those d@rn snipes ,,,,,,,,, I have yet to get one.... :( :cowboy:

hillsdown":3ct6zifi said:
angie":3ct6zifi said:
mnmtranching":3ct6zifi said:

Thanks Angie, MM etc. for not mentioning me in our last escapades as hubby still thinks I was on an animal husbandry course...........I still cannot come up with an explanation for our huge @ssb expense account :???:
I am still trying to find out where MM got her pirate costume from as my big sis's kids always come to me for creative ideas for Halloween and such... :lol2: :help:

Didn't we go on some wild ass tear last year on a morel thread?

That pirates outfit was priceless, there is a pic :shock:

MistyMorning":1ph75yda said:
hillsdown":1ph75yda said:
Just doing what I can to protect the posse! :nod:
"Huge @ss expense"? Tell you what ~ next time we will do BYOB and everyone pays their own bail ~ that oughtta help some. :help:

Season is ALWAYS open on snipe ~ come on down!

That pirates outfit was priceless, there is a pic :shock:
Yeah...about that pic ~ IOU 75 cents. I have sold 5 copies. So much for "priceless"!!! Cha-ching!! :pretty:

Didn't get a chance to get on here yesterday so i'll let you all know now.Yesterday evening was mowing the yard and 8yr and 6yr old girls were playing outside when they flagged me to stop.8yr old found 2 morrels in back yard in the yard not woods.I'm sure they have been there for a few years since from the way I understand it they are spores that stay in the ground and continue to come back every year till the spore is removed.Correct me if i'm wrong on this.Anyhow there was alot of leaves in this area so I picked up the mower deck as high as it would go and went over the area to remove the dead leaves.Will keep a eye on it to see if anymore come up.Pretty much am never in that part of the yard to have found them before.Needless to say she was pretty proud of herself and I was too.

There is a story and picture in todays local paper of two men who picked 56 pounds of morrels in three hours in the river bottoms near here. They said they just drove the boat real slow down the river along the bank and would only stop if they could see patches of mushrooms that were thick enough they could stay on their knees to pick them. Many people are saying it has been an awesome year for mushrooms.

Weaver":2wgegded said:
There is a story and picture in todays local paper of two men who picked 56 pounds of morrels in three hours in the river bottoms near here. They said they just drove the boat real slow down the river along the bank and would only stop if they could see patches of mushrooms that were thick enough they could stay on their knees to pick them. Many people are saying it has been an awesome year for mushrooms.

Now thats just being greedy.Which I was one of them.

Me and the hired hand picked 3 wal mart sacks full in about 45minutes yesterday then neighbor came by and his wife and him had picked 2 sacks full on a spot that I let them pick every year
had roast and fried shrooms for supper tonite

we roll them in flour then an egg wash than flour again and fry in good ole bacon grease

eat too many and it will sure clean the plumbing out :oops:

I've gotten way too many mushrooms to eat, and have no one to give them too. Is there anyway of preserving them? I've heard that you can freeze them in an ice cube and they'll be fine, has anyone tried this?

FarmGirl10":13exlxod said:
I've gotten way too many mushrooms to eat, and have no one to give them too. Is there anyway of preserving them? I've heard that you can freeze them in an ice cube and they'll be fine, has anyone tried this?

We've tried drying them then wrapping them in paper towels putting them in freezer bags then freeze.They are not as crispy when fried but still work good in other foods.

rusty":pd9mx2rc said:
FarmGirl10":pd9mx2rc said:

We've tried drying them then wrapping them in paper towels putting them in freezer bags then freeze.They are not as crispy when fried but still work good in other foods.
Thanks...I'm going to have to fire up the dehydrator then.