Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
DCP_0310.jpg

DCP_0308.jpg

DCP_0303.jpg

DCP_0300.jpg

frenchie,

Is that something just in the picture or does thoes cows have tags on their briskets ?

Stepper":113o5w7f said:
frenchie,

Is that something just in the picture or does thoes cows have tags on their briskets ?

Yep in the brisket. best tags every made I.M.H.O. I have never seen one lost yet

Good looking cows Frenchie. In very good condition for late winter. Well maybe mid-winter in Manitoba. :lol:

frenchie,

I have never seen that done before. Is that something you came up with on your own ? Has anyone else ever seen this done before ?

I helped do some brisket tags in about 100 heifers for a friend that pastures in the forest. I don't care for them, very labor intensive, but they are retained much better that the ear tags.

Stepper":22zt9t3z said:
frenchie,

I have never seen that done before. Is that something you came up with on your own ? Has anyone else ever seen this done before ?

Stepper lots of people use them up here, lot easier to read than a eartag.Also gives me a number to cross referance an eartag

Well that is pretty sharp. I could see where it would be harder for them to lose than a ear tag. I have just never saw a brisket tag before.

Do they bleed any when you tag them there ?

we used basically a big leather punch to put a clean round hole in the skin just above the "cod piece", no bleding but have heard of a chanc if infestion and the tag being removed. The tags have a U shaped wire with a plastic sleeve that is run through the hole and the ends through the tag then bent out. The biggest problem with the tags is putting them in, every yearling that we did had to go in the chute, a halter put on them with a rope tied to a nearby gate. The one person used the gate to streatch their neck out while another put the tag in.

If you brisket tag calves, they do not have to be changed out. I quit using dangle ear tags, and started using Ketchum steel ear tags when the calves are born. If they make the cut and move to breeding stock, I run them through and brisket tag.

As far as infection goes, just be clean about it. If you drop the wire in the dirt, wipe it off with betadine. Depending on where you get the brisket, you may get a little light bleeding, but no more than hitting a vein on an ear tag.

Rod

Stepper":2s2ayl0z said:
frenchie,

Common in the big ranch country MT and WY. Looks like it works good.