more pictures of my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

tulsagreenhorn

Reaction score
Picture_018.jpg

Picture_017.jpg

Picture_016.jpg

Picture_015.jpg

Here are some more pictures of my herd, what do you guys think?

the pictures were taken before I got my bull that all of you love :) I think they were taken in August. Im not sure what kind of grass it is, just plain grass to me. There are a lot of weeds that they still have not eaten, so I need to do some work on the grass

tulsagreenhorn":3t7mwc14 said:
the pictures were taken before I got my bull that all of you love :) I think they were taken in August. Im not sure what kind of grass it is, just plain grass to me. There are a lot of weeds that they still have not eaten, so I need to do some work on the grass
you seem to have a want too attitude. get too digging and learn all you can starting with the grass on up. cattle will only eat weeds as a last resort some they wont eat at all and some by accident. as doc harris would say read, read, listen and learn ;-)

On the brighter side, I don't see a whole bunch of brush to clear. That fence would survive a grass/brush fire and that's good too.

With the slope in that ground, I'd be a bit careful on how much tilling I did do. A not till drill would be ideal for that. I would probably fertilize periodically rather than doing it all at once since a big rain might take your fertilizer to your neighborns pasture.

The weeds are taking up water and nutrients that should be going to grass. If that is an August pic, the weeds have probably developed seed head and now it is going to be a bigger problem next year. Lose those weeds asap. Mow that pasture regularly or else use chemicals. You could cross fence and rotate those cows from one section to another as you mowed the weeds and gave the grass time to regrow. Electric fence with a solar charger would do the trick. Heck you may already be set up for rotation. I have no idea but the weeds look bad to me.

Looks like you are on your way. I prefer more ear on cows in this climate but others want the opposite.

I think those cows will be fine.

definitely need to control those weeds though. I am in the same boat right now. Everywhere I got mowed though took off with good grass. Burn it, disc it, or spray it, but definitely get rid of those weeds in the spring so the grass has a better chance.

Im down in Grady County if you come this way give me a holler.

The cattle seem to have a copper deficiency. The red tint on their coat usually indicates this. Go to the feed store and buy them some mineral with copper in it.

Latest posts