More on Red Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

R. John Johnson

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted on my other thread, and thanks for being polite with your criticism. Doc Harris, thank you for taking the time to say exactly what it was that you did not like about him. That bull is with a group of my average white cows. I was concerned about his feet, so I had planned from the start to use him as a terminal sire. I guess I will have to look for another RA for next year. I KNOW I did not spend enough time looking for a good bull.

My best white cows are with another Red Angus. Tell me what you think of him. None of the girls were cycling and I could not get him to stop grazing to get a good side shot of him.

Jose1.jpg

Jose2.jpg

Here are some of the calves he sired last summer. Calves were born in March and April.

Josescalves2.jpg

josescalves1.jpg

And for those who wondered about the lake, yes there are fish (walleyes) in there if you know where to look. I am no fisherman and don't know where to look. Here is a picture taken in front of our house, looking south. The earlier pics were taken facing west.

Lake.jpg

John

Please tell my why you've decided on a red angus as a terminal sire on charolais influenced cows.

This bull looks to be much better than the other that you posted. It's hard to believe they are the same breed.

I think RA on your Charolais cows makes good sense as a terminal breeding, why wouldn't it?

The proof is in the pudding, NICE CALVES

Can't remember if I replied in your other thread or not, but this is a much better bull than the other. I would like to see him carry more muslcing in his hind quarters, however. He appears to be very heavily muscled in his front shoulders, but appears to taper off when you get to the rear. With those heavy front shoulders, he might cause some calving problems in heifers due to calf shape.

All in all, looks like a good bull, and those are some dandy calves. Thick, stout, and appear to have hit the ground growing. If you are using him as a terminal sire, looks like he is doing his job.

In the one picutre, it looks as if your pasture runs all the way to the lake. Is that so?? Beautiful setting.

I guess I was too tired last night to make myself clear. This bull is with a group of cows that I will keep heifers from. He is with cows only and no heifers. So far I have had no calving problems with him. The other bull is going to be a terminal sire.

Knersie, I couldn't keep putting a Charolais bull on Charolais influenced cows. Our white and light tan calves used to go east to to feed lots in Ontario and Quebec. There used to be an independent packer there that didn't discount that type of cattle. One of the big packers bought them out and now they want Angus Influenced calves. There are almost no cattle finished in Manitoba, and the closest area is Nebraska followed by Alberta. All want the Angus influenced cattle. Last fall the buyers at the local auction mart were picking out white calves from lots of whites and tans and paying $5 to $10 less per CWT per head. I talked to one buyer and he said his orders specifically said no whites. I'm just trying to produce what the market wants. If I have to eventually go all black, I need to go red first. There is a market some places for the grey calves that a Black Angus X Charolais produces, but it is not stable enough here. If there are orders that day you will do well. No orders that day and you get discounted heavily.

Bandit80, yes the pasture runs right up to the lake. We do live in a pretty place. Problem is the environmentalists would like to see us not let the cattle in the lake. They THINK that it is polluting the lake. What do they think the Buffalo did before cattle came on the scene? What about the sewage that gets dumped in the rivers feeding the lakes? You'll have to excuse me, just one of my hot button issues.

John

R. John Johnson":23lc28l2 said:
Bandit80, yes the pasture runs right up to the lake. We do live in a pretty place. Problem is the environmentalists would like to see us not let the cattle in the lake. They THINK that it is polluting the lake. What do they think the Buffalo did before cattle came on the scene? What about the sewage that gets dumped in the rivers feeding the lakes? You'll have to excuse me, just one of my hot button issues.

John

I can only imagine the grief you catch for that, and it is all unwarranted. Maybe if they really knew what was in manure, they wouldn't be so uptight about it. It's all natural. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":3fumw1i7 said:
Red Fullblood Limousin bulls on white cows make yellow calves. May not work out in your area but here will out sell black calves.

That sounds much more like a terminal cross to me than using a rather poor red angus bull.

If the aim was to get a smaller calf and hopefully retain a few heifers or sell a few replacements then the red angus bull in this thread would suffice, I just don't see the reasoning behind using a light muscled red angus for terminal purposes, especially on decent charolais influenced cows.

KNERSIE":3gtzy4i6 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3gtzy4i6 said:
Red Fullblood Limousin bulls on white cows make yellow calves. May not work out in your area but here will out sell black calves.

That sounds much more like a terminal cross to me than using a rather poor red angus bull.

If the aim was to get a smaller calf and hopefully retain a few heifers or sell a few replacements then the red angus bull in this thread would suffice, I just don't see the reasoning behind using a light muscled red angus for terminal purposes, especially on decent charolais influenced cows.

In fairness, he did say that "they" were looking for Angus influenced cattle. Whether they could tell the difference between a tan calf sired by a Limo or a Red Angus I don't know if you except the muscling pattern of the Limo. Since the Char cows are already a terminal type breed, perhaps it also makes sense to add the marbling of the RA, because the Limo is not going to add it IMO.

I also like this bull much better than the other.