• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Ekka photos

townfarmer

Reaction score
Spent yesterday morning wandering around the cattle judging at the main arena.

I took a billion photos. These are just a few. I hope you're internet connection can handle all those photos.

Andrew

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Don't suppose you got any Char pictures? Interesting breeds you chose to post, Romas, Pinz. What is that dark grey euro breed? I always forget the name. Never seen them here in the west but they look nice.

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
Always like thick bull that are structurally correct. Nr 7, 8, and 9 being my personal favourites!
I suppose that some are romangnolas.

townfarmer

Reaction score
There were a lot of charolais there. Probibly triple the amount of any other breed. Unfortunately they were all in the pavillion lying down so I couldn't get a decent photo. You're correct about the dark bull it was bazadaise. I was suprised at how many were there. You'd think they were a mainstream breed. The other thing that suprised me was the amount of muscling on them. They made the piedmontese look like dairy cattle. Here's a few more shots of them:

This one was so muscled it waddled!!!

townfarmer

Reaction score
Anazazi wrote:
I suppose that some are romangnolas.

Yes correct romangnolas. They were much taller than what I had assumed. The junior heifers towered over many senior cattle of other breeds. Bull number 8 was around 19 months old.

Andrew

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
townfarmer said:
There were a lot of charolais there. Probibly triple the amount of any other breed. Unfortunately they were all in the pavillion lying down so I couldn't get a decent photo. You're correct about the dark bull it was bazadaise. I was suprised at how many were there. You'd think they were a mainstream breed. The other thing that suprised me was the amount of muscling on them. They made the piedmontese look like dairy cattle. /quote]

They are! They were bred for milk until the late 70ties, and provides the raw material for famous cheeses to this day!

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Yeah I only came across them the other day. I wonder what there potential as a terminal sire is compared to other french counterparts such as charolais and limousin. The only problem is the small gene base. The Romagnola are an interesting breed, only euro bos indicus, I have seen some great Romagnolas.

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
aussie_cowgirl":15zoym1a said:
Yeah I only came across them the other day. I wonder what there potential as a terminal sire is compared to other french counterparts such as charolais and limousin. The only problem is the small gene base. The Romagnola are an interesting breed, only euro bos indicus, I have seen some great Romagnolas.

From what I know there are a few indicus influenced breeds, chianina, marcigiana and piedmontese comes to mind. All italian and beef breeds, and there are ore from the balkan.

Bazadais are great terminals, like blonde daquitaine.

townfarmer

Reaction score
aussie_cowgirl wrote:

The Romagnola are an interesting breed, only euro bos indicus, I have seen some great Romagnolas.

I spoke to a few breeders who come from western Queensland. They've been impressed with how well the romagnola bulls function in hot arid country covering big distances to breed cows. The size of the cows did seem extreme though.

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
ANAZAZI":3ypoxox9 said:
aussie_cowgirl":3ypoxox9 said:

From what I know there are a few indicus influenced breeds, chianina, marcigiana and piedmontese comes to mind. All italian and beef breeds, and there are ore from the balkan.

Bazadais are great terminals, like blonde daquitaine.

Yeah but the Romagnola is referred to as a Bos Indicus breed. Not an infuenced one. The others are still considered Bos Taurus I'm pretty sure.

edit: Hmm, wiki says even Romagnolas are referred to bos taurus. Weird. I've always seen them referred to as bos indicus.

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
I really wouldn't mind having a look at those Bazadais cattle. From what I see online they do some nice things and have fantastic growth for such a large animal. Are they large framed?

townfarmer

Reaction score
any pics of the Murray Greys?

The Murray greys were all in the pavillion but I did get a heap of photos of the square meaters. I'll have to post them tomorrow as I've exceeded my limit of 20 photos per day. There was an awesome murray grey bull called "Monteray Mr Cool" who was exhibited by Shell-Dee Murray Greys. He stood out like a sore thumb. Apparantly he won senior Murray grey bull at Beef expo 09 in Rocky. I tried getting a photo of him but the angle and lighting was terrible. It's not a flattering photo.

townfarmer

Reaction score
Here you go Keren. Here's a couple of shots of some square meaters. I still can't load any more photos so i can only show you a couple of shots.