More Canadian BSE

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Canada confirms 15th case of mad cow disease
1 hour ago

OTTAWA (AFP) — The Canadian government confirmed on Monday the country's 15th case of mad cow disease in an animal from British Columbia.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) said no part of the seven-year-old dairy cow's carcass entered the human food or animal feed systems.

The agency has launched an investigation at the animal's birth farm to identify other herd mates at the time of the cow's birth and to examine potential sources of infection, it added in a press release.

This case marks the 15th incident of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in Canada since 2003 and is the fourth this year.

CFIA maintained Monday that Canada's beef supply remains safe.

"Canada remains a controlled risk country for BSE, as recognized by the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE)," said the CFIA. "Accordingly, this case should not affect exports of Canadian cattle or beef."

The BSE-infected animal's age and location are consistent with previous cases identified through a national surveillance program, according to the agency.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... XJTUSTyD3g

Oltimer: In Canada we expected to find more cases. Doesn't seem to even make the news up here anymore. I hope the CFIA is doing their job and catching these cattle? I hope the USDA is doing the same?
We have a funny system up here. The CFIA and our cattle associations won't let us test everything so everything is safe. Probably has a lot to do with the expense? I understand you have the same problem down there where one packer wanted to test and the USDA wouldn't let them?
Kind of makes you wonder "What is the problem?" If someone wants to test why can't they?
Apparently a live BSE test isn't that far off, but it seems the Canadian government has been dragging its feet and doing nothing to speed things up with the private company(and the University of Alberta)...for whatever reason! I would think the CFIA and the USDA would be doing everything in their power to insure a safe product? Who nows why they aren't? Politics?