Moonshine

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Bet that got your attention.

Got up this morn.about4am. was gonna go huntin.Seen the moon was so bright it looked like daylight. Just knowing the deer fed all night. Even the cattle were grazing in the pasture.
I didn't go figured it would be just a waste of time.

Cal

Cal about 12:30 today i saw 4 doe's moveing in mid day saw a yote to did not get a the dog i think he was one of the biggest i have ever saw.

rattler

You got my attention. I thought you were going to let us in on where you hide your coil.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you cause I agree its hard to find them on a full moon. But I don't think they move all night cause I know someone who has done quit a bit of spotlighting in his life and never could find any in the fields on full moon nights. Never understood this. Friend of mine told me they move late late on a full moon - after 12 sometime. I don't know if this is right cause by that time I was passed out I mean asleep.

I've never had any luck during a bright moonlight.
But with hogs that's a different story. I'v always shot more hogs on a full moon.Love night hunting hogs when a bright moon.

Cal

Jogeephus":1qmsd64k said:
You got my attention. I thought you were going to let us in on where you hide your coil.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you cause I agree its hard to find them on a full moon. But I don't think they move all night cause I know someone who has done quit a bit of spotlighting in his life and never could find any in the fields on full moon nights. Never understood this. Friend of mine told me they move late late on a full moon - after 12 sometime. I don't know if this is right cause by that time I was passed out I mean asleep.

Since you mentioned it JO, when I was a little feller back in the ozarks of mo. I had two uncles that lived near. One made moonshine and the other would steel it from him.

I was hunting one morning(12yrold) and sneaked up on my uncle hiding his shine. He had about 4 gal. jugs and would go into the river and hide them. There was a big old sycamore(spl) tree growing on the bank with the roots going into the water.
He'd go under water and tie the jugs to these tree roots.
The river was spring fed and cold year round.
When he left I stripped of and went in and got one. Just had to have a taste. Had 2 or three big ol swallows, smooth as silk.
It ended up I passed out, and all the family went looking for me about 4pm that eve. It just had to be noone else but my mother to find me. Dad thought it was funny but my mother thought different.

Cal

Calman":227jlf3u said:
Jogeephus":227jlf3u said:

Since you mentioned it JO, when I was a little feller back in the ozarks of mo. I had two uncles that lived near. One made moonshine and the other would steel it from him.

I was hunting one morning(12yrold) and sneaked up on my uncle hiding his shine. He had about 4 gal. jugs and would go into the river and hide them. There was a big old sycamore(spl) tree growing on the bank with the roots going into the water.
He'd go under water and tie the jugs to these tree roots.
The river was spring fed and cold year round.
When he left I stripped of and went in and got one. Just had to have a taste. Had 2 or three big ol swallows, smooth as silk.
It ended up I passed out, and all the family went looking for me about 4pm that eve. It just had to be noone else but my mother to find me. Dad thought it was funny but my mother thought different.

Cal

:lol: :lol: Yeah, your dad knew the next time you listened to Lynard Skynard you would understand what they meant about drinking cold whiskey. ;-) :lol:

Oh hey...finally figured out that no matter how carefull we were not to scorch the mash or anything, of late, we kept getting a burnt taste in the home made sippin..................college boy helping out finally figured we sent the first scorched batch through and left residue in the coil to the thump, and then the coils to the condenser...we tried cleaning, but after replacing them, we got a most excellent run a few days ago..........tastes mighty good and clean!

Oddly, we sold the old copper for more then we paid for new stuff....now thats just plain odd.....but, hey no complaints here. Yummmmm ;-) ;-) ;-) :cboy:

Have you ever considered putting some in some charred oak casks? Always thought this would be a good idea. Saw some small 5 or 10 gallon ones at a hardware store a few weeks ago and it got me to thinking. Be a heck of an investment in time but might be worth trying. Of course, I'd probably up and die before the seven years were up and my kids would throw away my masterpiece. :roll: :lol:

Sounds like an idea.but frankly...I am not ashamed to admit...not sure the quality going into it would be worth while the effort and expense of them..................The type we make is for sippin now, before one gets too brave or smart enough to drink such spirits....................I make a trip to the store to find any 'good' sippin...lol. ;-) :cboy:

I had a friend give me a jar for my Birthday.Homemade Peach Brandy. It was the best sippin shine I have ever tasted. I would sure like to have another jar of that stuff.It would turn your ears red if you know what I mean .

My uncle used to make shine on a regular basis. He was the county commishioner so he was about immune from the local law. Anyway once as a young teen I found his stash hidden in my grandfather's old hay barn. I was out deer hunting and it came up a cold rain so I went in there to sit it out. I found it behind some square bales. I had a can of 7-up with me and I thought I would use it as a chaser. No likker education for me. I thought I would toss it back straight from the jug like in the movies and chase it with the 7-up.......bad move......stuff still went down like molten lava. After three or four such "sips" I was laying in that old barn from mid-morning to dark. Lucky for me I usually stayed out all day when hunting so I was able to get passable straight before I went home.

HOSS":35n4alxf said:
My uncle used to make shine on a regular basis. He was the county commishioner so he was about immune from the local law. Anyway once as a young teen I found his stash hidden in my grandfather's old hay barn. I was out deer hunting and it came up a cold rain so I went in there to sit it out. I found it behind some square bales. I had a can of 7-up with me and I thought I would use it as a chaser. No likker education for me. I thought I would toss it back straight from the jug like in the movies and chase it with the 7-up.......bad move......stuff still went down like molten lava. After three or four such "sips" I was laying in that old barn from mid-morning to dark. Lucky for me I usually stayed out all day when hunting so I was able to get passable straight before I went home.

Hoss, since I don't know what you look like and I only know you by your avatar of Billy Bob Thorton, I read your post and kepted looking at your avatar and busted out laughing. Couldn't decide if the picture was taken just after you took a good pull or as you walked to the house pretending to have some reminense of coordination left in your body. Visual picture of Billy Bob doing either was hysterical. :lol: :lol:

Taters?

Jogeephus":1xoxtn2l said:
HOSS":1xoxtn2l said:

Hoss, since I don't know what you look like and I only know you by your avatar of Billy Bob Thorton, I read your post and kepted looking at your avatar and busted out laughing. Couldn't decide if the picture was taken just after you took a good pull or as you walked to the house pretending to have some reminense of coordination left in your body. Visual picture of Billy Bob doing either was hysterical. :lol: :lol:

Taters?

Mmmm Hmmmm.........I reckon I like mustard on them there taters. I reckon I like your avatar too Mmmm Hmmm......You ain't heard the first or the last of Earnest T. Bass Mmmm Hmmm.....

I had some Shine once in my life while working a job in Virginia. Best hard stuff I ever had. Trust me Ive had them all. Dont know anyone in Texas that makes the stuff, but I also considered buying a bunch and putting it in a Charred Barrell. Weather it worked out or not, I think it would be fun. Next time I go through Shine country I will try to get some. I would rather prefer to get it from someone "Deemed Reliable" as I would like Corn Liquor not Sugar Liquor. Besides the bad stuff can cause you problems. Any thoughts PM me.

Texas Ranch Man":2jrv68iw said:
I had some Shine once in my life while working a job in Virginia. Best hard stuff I ever had. Trust me Ive had them all. Dont know anyone in Texas that makes the stuff, but I also considered buying a bunch and putting it in a Charred Barrell. Weather it worked out or not, I think it would be fun. Next time I go through Shine country I will try to get some. I would rather prefer to get it from someone "Deemed Reliable" as I would like Corn Liquor not Sugar Liquor. Besides the bad stuff can cause you problems. Any thoughts PM me.

Round here getting ahold of some good corn likker is pretty easy for local folks. The hard part for you would be to get a referral since nobody knows you. I would think it would be the same in other places too.

HOSS":2fzrjbmt said:
Texas Ranch Man":2fzrjbmt said:

Round here getting ahold of some good corn likker is pretty easy for local folks. The hard part for you would be to get a referral since nobody knows you. I would think it would be the same in other places too.

Same here but none that I know of is sold. Most is given away and there seems to be a truce with the law as long as it stays this way.

Was talking to the guru of corn last week and was discussing my thoughts on aging it. He said he tried this a few years ago but did not fill the cast completely up and neglected to turn the cast. This ended up causing the seals to crack and the loss of a good run. I guess it pays to ask questions.

Bakc in the 50s there was a corn whisky that was named "Old Cornfield", don;t recall where it was made seems like the mid-west. It was some pretty good stuff. Of course back in that time frame I thought about anything with alcohol in it was good stuff. Haven't seen it in years.

Latest posts