Molasses

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are going through the worst drought in many years. Thankfully we have enough hay to carry us at least 4 or 5 weeks. My Dad always had 2 large tanks of molasses pretty much full. We currently are not filling our tubs of molasses to save some money. Am I making a big mistake by not feeding any molasses?

We don't use the molasses as you have but do use the protein tubs during hay feeding time. You'll have a lot of different opinions on this but I would rather keep the protein tubs out due to hay not being the quality level needed. You should be seeing grass greening up and shouldn't have to worry about the molasses. We've got green grass here in NE Ga and haven't fed hay in over a month.

molasses is exp right now also..i think its 450$ for 250 gallons? itll help em eat just about anything but what they eat isn't anything good or theyd have eaten it already. some guys I know use it..even they don't really like it...
ill feed hay and citrus pellets til I go broke first..and the cows have gone broke..i just made a sale for em to have hay
place is a desert..i live on a sandy hill..Bahia will take yrs to come back even if it ever does rain..

Florida cowgirl":2psncsjr said:
We are going through the worst drought in many years. Thankfully we have enough hay to carry us at least 4 or 5 weeks. My Dad always had 2 large tanks of molasses pretty much full. We currently are not filling our tubs of molasses to save some money. Am I making a big mistake by not feeding any molasses?
What do your cattle look like?? Losing weight?? Ragged looking?? Got milk??

Latest posts