MLV question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I use BoviShield5L5HB on my cows/heifers - in late Feb - 1 x a year. This would be the 4th BS5L5HB for the heifers prior to breeding (3 as calves).
With all the latest hoopla about MLV & timing before breeding, I have been real careful to get the shots done at least 30 days prior to breeding (closer to 45 if possible, which means some of my late calvers get the shot just prior to calving). I have never noticed this to be a problem on the heavy pregnants.
I breed for spring (well winter 1-1 thru 3-5) and for fall (9-1 thru 11-15?)
I am doing 100% AI again, so if I have a cow/heifer turn up open, I slide her into the fall group.
Under this program, I am vaccinating my pregnant falls when they are 3-4 months pregnant in Feb. Is this potentially harmful?? As long as they get the vaccination every 12 months, they are safe?

Supposedly once they have had the first serious of shots there is no problem after that. All of our heaifers ar vaccinated like yours then a booster 3-4 weeks later. Then come spring at RTS time they are vaccinated again. Every year after that they are vaccinated in the spring. Never have seen any issues with it even in the years we're a little late (a month) in doing spring workup

I have personally talked to Zoetis Research Vets. They are excellent. The wait it very short. The person who answers screens the calls. When she realizes you have a competent technical question, you will get a vet to converse with. I am convinced from those conversations that you are fine. If the cattle are previously exposed to a Fetal Protection Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccine the abort rate is below the norm for natural abortions.

The way I understand how to use a MLV is to vaccinate heifers before breeding. And then use killed vaccines from that time forward. Studies have shown up to a 4% increase in effectiveness.
http://vet.uga.edu/foodanimal/people/lee-jones
This is the Vet that told me the proper protocol for using an MLV, and getting the most coverage out of it. He doesn't represent, work for or take any kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies. He has written some great articles and we're privileged to have him.

True Grit Farms":2woycb8f said:
The way I understand how to use a MLV is to vaccinate heifers before breeding. And then use killed vaccines from that time forward. Studies have shown up to a 4% increase in effectiveness.
This is the Vet that told me the proper protocol for using an MLV, and getting the most coverage out of it. He doesn't represent, work for or take any kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies. He has written some great articles and we're privileged to have him.
That link is a brief profile Dr. Jones. Can you provide the study that shows a higher level of immunity is achieved by doing the initial vaccination with an MLV and then switching to a killed virus vaccine?

I have always been told and read that killed is only effective for 6 months. Must give it at least twice a year to have coverage. It is more expensive & less effective. I'll stick with the MLV.
With my cows receiving it each spring, I am free to vaccinate the calves at any time while they are nursing.
I am going to add Inforce III to my newborn calf regime. Then they will get their normal BS5L5HB at 3 months of age.

My concern was vaccinating pregnant cows.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":dotcii2a said:
I have always been told and read that killed is only effective for 6 months. Must give it at least twice a year to have coverage. It is more expensive & less effective. I'll stick with the MLV.
With my cows receiving it each spring, I am free to vaccinate the calves at any time while they are nursing.
I am going to add Inforce III to my newborn calf regime. Then they will get their normal BS5L5HB at 3 months of age.

My concern was vaccinating pregnant cows.

I like the Inforce 3. For me, it provides respiratory protection during a critical time in the calfhood. It fills the gap until they are weaned when you can administer BSG FP 5 in what ever combo fits your area.

Bright Raven":290a0k9w said:
True Grit Farms":290a0k9w said:
That link is a brief profile Dr. Jones. Can you provide the study that shows a higher level of immunity is achieved by doing the initial vaccination with an MLV and then switching to a killed virus vaccine?
I don't know how to do all that Ron, nor do I have the time. Send him a Email that's why I put his link out there. I've heard the same thing from another Vet also at a Master Cattlemens school. I'll see Lee at the UGA bull test sale in two weeks and I'll ask him what study, if you haven't found it by then.
I almost posted this last time we were discussing MLV's but wasn't a 100% sure. But I asked him a couple of weeks ago and he told me the same thing about using a MLV and following it up with a killed thereafter. I still think all these vaccines are a waste of time and money, but I can't afford to take the risk. None of my neighbors do anything besides throw out mineral blocks and hay. And so far they've been really lucky for 40+ years.

True Grit Farms":1rjr8vxz said:
Bright Raven":1rjr8vxz said:
True Grit Farms":1rjr8vxz said:
I don't know how to do all that Ron, nor do I have the time. Send him a Email that's why I put his link out there. I've heard the same thing from another Vet also at a Master Cattlemens school. I'll see Lee at the UGA bull test sale in two weeks and I'll ask him what study, if you haven't found it by then.
I almost posted this last time we were discussing MLV's but wasn't a 100% sure. But I asked him a couple of weeks ago and he told me the same thing about using a MLV and following it up with a killed thereafter. I still think all these vaccines are a waste of time and money, but I can't afford to take the risk. None of my neighbors do anything besides throw out mineral blocks and hay. And so far they've been really lucky for 40+ years.

Thanks. I will look at his contact info. One of the vets that works with Fire Sweep said something similar. His name is Dale. Forgot his last name. But he said you get the most immunity from the first MLV.

Jeanne once they have the initial protection any yearly booster is dealt with the same as if they were challenged by the virulent virus in the field and after all this is what we vaccinate them for so that any challenge is dealt with without any harm to them or the foetus.

Ken

wbvs5B - thanks. With using 100% AI again now, I don't need anything to screw up our breeding season.

I once was told by a vet that a MLV was probably good for life. Sounds great, but I'm too chicken to NOT vaccinate my cattle.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":11gaml6f said:
wbvs5B - thanks. With using 100% AI again now, I don't need anything to screw up our breeding season.

I once was told by a vet that a MLV was probably good for life. Sounds great, but I'm too chicken to NOT vaccinate my cattle.

I am the same way, if something is working why fix it.

Maybe timing has something to do with our experience of giving the MLV during the pregnant period. I am a slow learner at times but we used the live in conjunction and timing with our scour booster twice approx. 3 weeks prior to calving. Both years we had a bunch of early calves. Most lived but it caused enough grief to never want to try it again.

Latest posts