Mist blower

Help Support CattleToday:

Mark Alley

Reaction score
I want to control thistle and weeds on 130 acres of hilly and rough pasture land. A Mist blower seems to be a solution. Looks like most of them have 50 gallon tanks but they claim to use 1/10 of the product a boom sprayer would. Frequent fillups would be a problem as the water supply is far away. I have not seen any prices on mist blowers yet either so I may be out of my league.
Is a mist blower much better than a boomless sprayer?
Is wind as big an issue with a mist blower as it is with boomless sprayer?
Can anybody recommend a brand?
Thanks in advance for any counsel. My experience is limited to using a 35 gallon boom sprayer one time.

Wind is going to be your biggest problem. Even a slight breeze can take herbicide a long way. If there is any crop land close I would not consider it. If there are any residential areas next to your place you had better make sure any breeze at all is blowing away from them.
Most boom less sprayers have a large droplet size which limits the distance it will travel.
If you do decide to go ahead with the mist, check with your neighbors first even if it just more pasture it may affect.

Only thing we use mist blowers for is insecticide as the liability with herbicides due to drift is too great. Personally, I like a boomless sprayer in rough spots. Wind is an issue at times but not nearly as bad as it would be with a mist sprayer. If you have a boom sprayer, you can easily take the booms off and plumb this with boomless nozzles or just leave the booms on there and put a bypass valve on the sprayer.

I would not use a mist blower for weed control. Too much liability for drift.

Remember the secret to weed control is to get the plants wet. Whether using a boom sprayer or boomless nozzle, you need to use close to 20 gallons of water per acre. Buy a large enough tank so that you do not spend all you time going to fill up.

hurleyjd":18brp855 said:
Is there any one close that does spraying by airplane or helicopter. That might be a viable solution.

Forget the plane as it is illegal to spray most if not all herbicides with them.

if you decide to go with a boomless sprayer the best boomless nozzles I have found are the BoonBusters they are more expensive but I like them alot better I have 2 boomless and a boom andboomless combo I love that set up has a 12 ft boom with boomless nozzles on the end

Angus Cowman":2mbu3ay9 said:
if you decide to go with a boomless sprayer the best boomless nozzles I have found are the BoonBusters they are more expensive but I like them alot better I have 2 boomless and a boom andboomless combo I love that set up has a 12 ft boom with boomless nozzles on the end

Is yours plumbed where you have a choice of spraying either left, right or both directions? Very handy on fence rows and such.

Jogeephus":1iqmruqd said:
Is yours plumbed where you have a choice of spraying either left, right or both directions? Very handy on fence rows and such.

Mine also has just the center as an option. Not sure if it will spray both left and right and not do the middle, never needed that particular ocnfiguraiton

dun":f2wba7b6 said:
Jogeephus":f2wba7b6 said:

Mine also has just the center as an option. Not sure if it will spray both left and right and not do the middle, never needed that particular ocnfiguraiton

That's how mine is. I can spray from the middle of the tractor out about 12-14 feet either left or right or set it on both and do one wide swath of about 24-30 feet. I did also plumb a small bar with three T-jets on it so I can spray a 4 foot band over the top of pine seedlings if I want to.

Jogeephus":3kjjcry4 said:
Angus Cowman":3kjjcry4 said:

Yes all mine have separate controls the one with the boom I can spray L R M or any single or combo it has an 800gal tank I love it for pastures all mine have a hand nozzle also so spraying under elec fence rows it works great also spray my cattle with the hand nozzle

For spraying fencelines I use the mule and the tank on it. The door on the tractor makes it a real pain to try to get the spary where I want and half the time the hose gets tangled in the tire.

Angus Cowman":1z4l440l said:
yep don't wrk good on cab tractors I have a tractor without a cab that we spray fencelines with and it wrks ok I have a tank on the 4 wheeler but takes to long running back and forth

I just carry the chemicals with me in the back of the mule and remix when I need to since we have water, other then in the winter, to almost every area.

Mark Alley":13t143n8 said:
I want to control thistle and weeds on 130 acres of hilly and rough pasture land. A Mist blower seems to be a solution. Looks like most of them have 50 gallon tanks but they claim to use 1/10 of the product a boom sprayer would. Frequent fillups would be a problem as the water supply is far away. I have not seen any prices on mist blowers yet either so I may be out of my league.
Is a mist blower much better than a boomless sprayer?
Is wind as big an issue with a mist blower as it is with boomless sprayer?
Can anybody recommend a brand?
Thanks in advance for any counsel. My experience is limited to using a 35 gallon boom sprayer one time.

Go to www.bigjohnmfg.com

by Angus Cowman on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:43 am

if you decide to go with a boomless sprayer the best boomless nozzles I have found are the BoonBusters they are more expensive but I like them alot better I have 2 boomless and a boom andboomless combo I love that set up has a 12 ft boom with boomless nozzles on the endAngus Cowman
Trail Boss

So, that is simply one 12 foot boom on the back of the sprayer with boomless nozzles on the end? Sounds like it is centered on the sprayer? Do the boomless nozzles cover the middle too? And what is the total width coverage? Do you have a marker system?
I have requested information from the BoomBuster site. Wrote BigJohn MFG twice but they have not responded.

Mark Alley":co10m2c0 said:
by Angus Cowman on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:43 am

if you decide to go with a boomless sprayer the best boomless nozzles I have found are the BoonBusters they are more expensive but I like them alot better I have 2 boomless and a boom andboomless combo I love that set up has a 12 ft boom with boomless nozzles on the endAngus Cowman
Trail Boss

So, that is simply one 12 foot boom on the back of the sprayer with boomless nozzles on the end? Sounds like it is centered on the sprayer? Do the boomless nozzles cover the middle too? And what is the total width coverage? Do you have a marker system?
I have requested information from the BoomBuster site. Wrote BigJohn MFG twice but they have not responded.

No boom is needed just a mounting bracket. Here is link to one type. Mounting two side by side will double your width depending on your pump volume. This is not the brand I have but this should give you an idea.

https://www.enviroquipinc.com/product_d ... ductID=415

A weed wiper and a rotary cutter will eliminate the weeds when you couple that with rotational grazing. I have a herbicide license and I have the application equipment. Once you get control of the pasture, you can use the forage crop to choke the undesirable plants from the pastures along with proper grazing. I realize that is hard to believe and I was one of the non-believers until I concentrated on ridding my pastures of weeds without herbicide. As a low input producer of feeder calves I have worked to avoid all non essential expenses. I feel that most of us have been sold a "bill of goods" in that we have been told to increase production. What we should have been told in order to have sustainability is to increase profits. Increasing production often increases input but never does anything to increase profits.

Latest posts